Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 18-10-2020, 11:34 PM
Emc2 (Jon)

Anyone using a Lunt Solar scope?

Hi guys,

So I've had a Lunt 60mm for a few months now and I've been quite disappointed with the views I have been getting.
I am getting basically a red disk with no surface details.
I have tried tuning the pressure but could not see any noticeable difference.
While I have quite a bit of experience with night time astro, I am a newbie when it comes to the sun.

When comparing to the "what you'll see" page on the Lunt's website, this is nowhere near close. I know they are showcasing the best possible case, but still I would have expected some kind of surface texture to be visible.
I have seen a couple of faint prominences but I did not check the sun's activity beforehand, so that may just have been why.

I was wondering if some here could provide some feedback as to what to expect with this kind of scope. I was considering purchasing the double stack module but then again checking the website, not sure the improvement is going to be worth it for me with regards to what to expect. I know once you double stack you don't go back, but at this stage the single stack has been a disappointment.

Perhaps I should re-grease the pressure tuner? The previous owner mentioned it may be due at some point. Would that potentially make a difference? It looks greasy enough and smooth when turning, so it's not like I can see some worrying signs.

I guess it may be down to expectations. I really wanted to love this scope and get some observations during the day, but so far after a few observations, I have found this to be underwhelming to say the least.

Any feedback & comments appreciated!
Cheers
Old 19-10-2020, 06:01 AM
Martin_S

Jon, at the moment we are in solar minimum, there are very few surface features to see. At the very least when viewing visually the sun should look like an orange. You should see the speckled appearance of the disc.
Are you burping the pressure tuner before use ?.

Next time you use it the first thing you should do is use a low power eyepiece,and concentrate on focusing the sun to a sharp disc.

Then gradually tune the etalon until you see some detail, you should feel some resistance in the tuner as you tighten it up.
If you don't see any detail visit this site and do a site search on your dilemma. It could be a faulty tuner( "O" rings?) or a cloudy blocking filter.

https://solarchatforum.com/index.php...0e8695269f8bda

I hope this has been a help.

Martin
Old 19-10-2020, 06:31 AM
PeterM

Hi Jon,

My story...6 months ago I went down a similar path with my Lunt 60mm. No detail and no proms no matter what I did.
I replaced the orings and still nothing. My blue/green glass in the blocking filter was clean and not clouded.

I have a 40mm Coronado Solar Max and it delivers stunning views, so, like you I became concerned. I tried another blocking filter in the Lunt and wow ...disc detail and proms. After speaking with Faye at Lunt it was decided to return my BF and it turned out there was indeed an issue with the blocking filter. As it was outside warranty it was a usd $180 repair. The view is now stunning. It was not a repair that could be done outside of Lunt ..was to do with the red looking glass of the blocking filter. I am not the only one here who has returned his blocking filter recently to Lunt for the very same issue as mine had.
FYI the cost to send back to Lunt by Australia Post was aud $20 and took 3 weeks to get there.... the return through DHL was another $ story but it came back within 7 days. Though another Lunt purchase sent by USPS cost usd $20 and arrived here in 28days.

As Martin points out it may well be the orings are worn or a clouded blue green filter as these are maintenance items. The orings can be bought from Lunt at usd $15 and the blue green glass for usd $8 or it seems it can be cleaned using CLR, but do some reading on IIS on this.

Assuming that your blue green glass in the blocking filter is not clouded, that you are getting focus (sharp edge of Sun), that you have undone the pressure tuner and screwed it back on and checked the Sun at various points of travel (mine screws down to leave about 10mm of the thread still showing to get good tuning) then I would see if there is anyone in Sydney who has a Lunt scope and would be kind enough to let you test their blocking filter in your scope to rule out any BF issues.

Also as you were thinking of getting a double stack..I see on the Lunt site they have a couple of refurbished 50mm double stack modules for your 60mm scope (same as mine) at usd $795 instead of new at $999.

PS, it happens I do have a set of spare new orings and am willing to send to you if you want to rule this out first. If they work happy days, you can send me a set from Lunt later (I would suggest getting 2 sets for future proofing!).
https://luntsolarsystems.com/replaci...tuner-o-rings/

https://luntsolarsystems.com/replaci...-glass-filter/

PM me with your mobile and I can go into more detail if you like.
Peter

Last edited by PeterM; 19-10-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: more details
Old 20-10-2020, 06:42 PM
Emc2 (Jon)

Hi guys,
Thanks for the detailed replies, I really appreciate it.

I have unscrewed the pressure tuning all the way before but not prior to each observation. Will try that again. I am not seeing any texture on the disk, no orange peel fee which is what I was expecting.

I have just checked the blue filter tonight, looks good too.
I definitely want to try and replace the O rings, maybe it it the issue.

When turning the tuning knob I cannot see any difference in appearance whatsoever from total unscrewed to completely screwed in.

I seems there is some resistance to the tuner but I am unsure as to whether this is from the pressure or simply the thread.

I am definitely focused, I have spent quite a bit of time on the focus at various magnifications, starting with a 22mm eyepiece. Even when using a 11mm and the 11mm with the Barlow, I am not seeing any surface details or texture.

Peter, so far my experience seems similar to yours, and I would gladly take you on your o ring offer, definitely the first thing to rule out I reckon.

How tight is the margin to see surface texture? Half a knob turn? Full turn? Couple turns?
I have ran through the range quite extensively but not necessarily by very small increments. But I have kept the eye at the eyepiece the whole time monitoring for details.

I will PM you Peter, thanks heaps guys!
Cheers

Jon
Old 20-10-2020, 08:27 PM
Martin_S

Jon ,I'm afraid I can't help you with your questions regarding your pressure tuner as I have a tilt tuned Lunt solar telescope. Hopefully Peter can help you out. let us know how you get on.

Martin
Old 22-10-2020, 03:39 PM
astro744

My introduction to Ha solar observing was a brief peak through a Coronado Solarmax 60 and I was hooked. In time I ended up buying one of the last Coronado Solarmax 40 available (all I could afford at the time that was a bit better than a PST) and this gives me plenty of enjoyment when viewing the Sun.

The prominences and flares and also coronal mass ejections show nicely on the limb. When some of these features are on the surface facing us they can be seen as thin dark snake like features, some quite long. (At least that’s what I see). The entire face of the Sun is red but quite granulated. I do find that I need to tune to enhance either the edge features or facing features but once tuned it pretty much stays untouched. Same for focus since the Sun is so large the edge is ever so slightly at a different focal plane than the face. The helical fine focus on the SM 40 makes fine focusing easy. I use eyepieces from 12mm to 25mm favouring the view between 14, 15, 16 & 18mm.

Note the Ha view is naturally red. It would be more accurate if Lunt on the ‘What you’ll see’ link would show a red image rather than an orange one.

I’m not sure if you have a technical problem with your ‘scope and hopefully not. Perhaps you just need to observe as often as possible to see if you can spot any large features as the Sun is quite dynamic even during solar minima.

One thing I had trouble seeing in Ha was sunspots until I learned to tune the etalon to enhance the surface and even then any large spot will appear as a small black spot whereas in white light it appears much larger. I often have a seperate telescope (TV-60) with either orange glass filter or white Baader film side by side with my SM 40 just to see the sunspots clearly.
Old 22-10-2020, 03:45 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I'd not used my Lunt 80 for a while and the last time I'd used it was probably 700m higher in altitude. Had it out a few days ago and the tuner felt like it needed more inwards screwing (pressure).
Ended up giving it a burp and it was like a brand new solar scope! Never underestimate the need for a good burb now and then.
Old 26-10-2020, 12:20 PM
Emc2 (Jon)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I have taken Peter on his offer for the replacement rings.
When trying them out the other day, I did not get a chance to get a good opportunity to properly try them out due to high clouds.

I did however notice something else: some mould like spots on the internal surface of the red filter. This is an issue Peter has also experienced.
This can easily go unnoticed: the spots are only visible at a certain angle and if facing a bright light source (had the scope pointed at the sun there).

https://i.ibb.co/bvydyKx/IMG-7877.jpg

What it looks like normally:

https://i.ibb.co/JQjTTHk/IMG-7879.jpg

I have talked to Lunt, and it looks like I'll be sending the filter back for an evaluation.

Last time I observed, the best I could describe the surface was this: I was not sure if I was seeing texture on the sun or if my brain was making it up. Saw a couple prominences though.

We'll see what Lunt says, but this seems to be a similar issue to what Peter has experienced and if so, the blocking filter will need to be replaced and hopefully that should translate to nicer views!

Will keep you all posted of the progress.
Cheers
Old 01-11-2020, 11:02 AM
Star Catcher (Ted Dobosz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc2 View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I have taken Peter on his offer for the replacement rings.
When trying them out the other day, I did not get a chance to get a good opportunity to properly try them out due to high clouds.

I did however notice something else: some mould like spots on the internal surface of the red filter. This is an issue Peter has also experienced.
This can easily go unnoticed: the spots are only visible at a certain angle and if facing a bright light source (had the scope pointed at the sun there).

https://i.ibb.co/bvydyKx/IMG-7877.jpg

What it looks like normally:

https://i.ibb.co/JQjTTHk/IMG-7879.jpg

I have talked to Lunt, and it looks like I'll be sending the filter back for an evaluation.

Last time I observed, the best I could describe the surface was this: I was not sure if I was seeing texture on the sun or if my brain was making it up. Saw a couple prominences though.

We'll see what Lunt says, but this seems to be a similar issue to what Peter has experienced and if so, the blocking filter will need to be replaced and hopefully that should translate to nicer views!

Will keep you all posted of the progress.
Cheers
I have a Lunt 80. and live in Sydney South West. You are welcome to come along and test your gear if you think it would help.
Ted
Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 AM
Emc2 (Jon)

Hi Ted,

Thank you so much for the kind offer and please accept my apologies for the late reply (including your kind PM) - I just did not get the notification I had a PM.

I have sent the filter back to Lunt a week or so ago, so at this stage I will wait for them to evaluate it and I'll take it from there.
Once it gets back here and depending on the outcome of their findings, I might very well take you up on that offer of yours!

Thanks again guys for all the help - I genuinely appreciate it!
Cheers