Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 07:48 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Baader Extension Tubes

Anyone have experience with the Baader Varilock T2 Extension Tubes? I have a FFC that I want to use but trying to decide whether to use the Varilock Extension Tubes or the fixed length tubes.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:30 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Anyone have experience with the Baader Varilock T2 Extension Tubes? I have a FFC that I want to use but trying to decide whether to use the Varilock Extension Tubes or the fixed length tubes.
I have a varilock and a FFC but I've always used fixed length tubes. GSOs 2". Why did you want to use the varilock. Do you need very precise distance with the FFC to get an exact magnification?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I have a varilock and a FFC but I've always used fixed length tubes. GSOs 2". Why did you want to use the varilock. Do you need very precise distance with the FFC to get an exact magnification?
I haven't actually used the FFC so I can only go off the available information about what distances are required to achieve certain magnifications. I doubt I will ever use the FFC to achieve 8X but maybe 5X is a reality. I thought the Varilock extension tubes may offer a bit more versatility compared to the fixed length extension tubes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ffc_focal_distances.pdf (272.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

ha ok... I routinely used it at x3 and once at x4. Never went longer. I'm sure it would still works but I don't know how practical it would be. You'd need a lot of light and aperture to get to x8. At x3 you get a really nice field still. No chromatic aberrations. I use GSO 2" tubes. From memory 50mm, 80mm and 120mm. x5 wouldn't be an issue.