Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Phil
Phil H

First night with LB 16"

Wow what a night had DJ come over for his first ever look threw a telescope and that telescope was a Light-bridge 16". As he walked outside his face lit up and all he could say was wow. First between as both we try again to collimate the LB. After collimation we pushed the scope to the Orion Nub. M42 quick star test show that we had collimated well but not the best. Looking at M42 i could the Nub. like i have never seen it before. There was colour in there green the neb fill the EP with a 26mm wide field Meade. A quick swing up to Saturn and again very nice it is great to see someone that has never seen Saturn before. DJ could not believe how big it was. By this time the collimation was check again and had move so we got the laser out and re did it. After Saturn we turn to the great globular cluster Omega centauri to see how well the star where resolved in the EP. I with my stuffed up neck tried to fined it. I found the planetary neb NGC5307 i thought this is strange there should be a lot more stars then what i was seeing in the EP not knowing that we where looking at the planetary neb. After checking the star chart we quickly work out that we where looking out the wrong thing. Dj was able to find the Glob and wow what a site pinpoint stars to the edge of the field. After studying that in different EP we turned to Eta and again was not disappointed lots of neb. everywhere. Swinging the scope around Eta to see what globs we could see there was heaps. Never get sick of seeing all the stars in the milky way. From there we went to Rigel Kent and was able to slip the double what a site. By this time Antares was rising so of course that was the next on the hit list. Again stunning. From there was the glob. M4 and was well resolved. M6 Butterfly cluster was next. After this Jupiter was rising so to end the night with a Planet with a treat. Jupiter was only just rising but was still able to see some detail after putting some filter in to cut down on the brightness. Well by this time i was pretty sore with my neck so we packed up and put everything away. All i can say is me and DJ had a great night and to top it of it was DJs first night looking threw a telescope. I think he is hooked now .
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (enosh 005 copy.jpg)
83.2 KB48 views

Last edited by Phil; 19-04-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 19-04-2007, 08:43 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Great first light BUT now you have wrecked DJ for anything less than 16"
Old 19-04-2007, 12:01 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Great report, glad you enjoyed first light
It looks like it was built out of a dust bin, even got the lid over against the dome only joking