Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2017, 04:09 PM
blindman
Now I see !!!

Freedom of speech

Hope that server won't fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkCNep-rXM

And do not reply with some crap about trolling.....
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Hmm def interesting times ahead...fortunately a lot of social commentators are starting to use other media options, podcasts, device apps etc...
Old 11-08-2017, 10:34 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

The guy is a nutjob. Fallen angels on earth with technology that humans aren't supposed to have -seriously???
Old 11-08-2017, 11:24 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

the topic of this video has nothing to do with real free speech, it is to do with content on commercial digital platforms run by global corporations... why would you be surprised? and why would you care what youtube allows?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:32 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
The guy is a nutjob. Fallen angels on earth with technology that humans aren't supposed to have -seriously???
I accidentally left it running while I did important things like watching paint dry, and you should see the NEXT video about the Vatican's convex lensed telescope used for finding non-terrestrial entities - ie ghost/spirits/God yada yada yada.

Yawn. Must go outside and count the chemtrails, look for the bugs on the Moon and strap myself in for the pole reversal and anti-spin.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Yep a Yank wearing wrap around sunglasses sporting a goatee and doffing a cap on backwards in what appears to be a pickup truck rabbiting on about free speech is probably one of the reasons why free speech is being curtailed......
Old 12-08-2017, 06:31 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I stopped it after thirty seconds and worried I may have harshly prejudged the clip.
It seems I did not.
I just get ticked off with any presenter talking whilst driving a vehicle...Forgetting safety issues I simply wonder that if one has an important message why not give it some serious time rather than fitting it in on a drive to the shops.

I would hardley call it free speech given the high price one pays in the loss of valuable time...I will never get that thirty seconds back.

We are asked not to say anything about trolling and certainly we dont need to state the obvious.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 12-08-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Robair (Robert)
Seeing is Not Believing

I always endeavour to keep an open mind when such theories are presented. However in this case I see a rambling diatribe desperately searching for whatever it is the presenter is trying to convey. Reminds me of Richard Hoagland. He's a class A, orbit capable, giant card carrying ramblor extraordinaire.
If you want to kill off some brain cells I highly recommend his inane wibblings.
Rob B

Last edited by Robair; 12-08-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Listen to the dull and the ignorant for they to have their story....from somewhere??

Unfortunately I am getting less tolerant of folk who indulge in superstition and when pushed tender faith as justification for abandoning rational thought.
However at least with so many using utube one is reminded others are different hold beliefs and somehow get by in the world.

Alex
Old 12-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Visionary (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
Hope that server won't fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkCNep-rXM

And do not reply with some crap about trolling.....

Blindman, any curtailment of Free Speech is clear and present threat to a free and open society. Our greatest protection has always been, and will always be Free Speech.
At this juncture, Social Justice Warriors are driving the Media's narrative, this is dangerous. The Left is driving some strange post-Lenisit-post-Trotskyist (post-everything and anything) interpretation of world affairs and driving that distorted viewpoint through the media, this is dangerous.
We are in extraordinarily dangerous times. It seems we have collectively forgotten how important it is to defend Free Speech. It doesn't matter what's being said, what matters is that it can be said! Say whatever needs be said, when ever it needs to be said, without fear, that should be our "media policy".

Last edited by Visionary; 12-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Blindman, any curtailment of Free Speach is clear and present threat to a free and open society. Our greatest protection has always been, and will always be Free Speach.
At this juncture, Social Justice Warriors are driving the Media's narrative, this is dangerous. The Left is driving some strange post-Lenisit-post-Trotskyist (post-everything and anything) interpretation of world affairs and driving that distorted viewpoint through the media, this is dangerous.
We are in extraordinarily dangerous times. It seems we have collectively forgotten how important it is to defend Free Speach. It doesn't matter what's being said, what matters is that it can be said! Say whatever needs be said, when ever it needs to be said, without fear, that should be our "media policy".
Within reason..... so you are happy to have some radical using his "religion" as a platform to incite others to hate and to commit atrocities 'in the name of their religion' after all that's his right according to some....

I think there should be an IQ test before some are allowed to exercise their free speech......
Old 12-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Visionary (David)

Matt,
Free Speech always has the potential to be stomach churning. As the right to Free Speech has been curtailed, we no longer have the ability, or even platform, to call out the Hate Speech. The bilious hate being promoted by Religious Groups and Special Interest Groups can't be addressed as it would skirt dangerously close to either bigotry or racism, misogyny, or any of the raft of "ism's".
Free Speech isn't comfortable, it never has and never will be comfortable.
David
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Perhaps freedom to "access" accurate unbiased information is just as important as freedom of speech...Ive noticed a subtle change of content in the "recommended" tray of my Youtube account over the last week or so, more neutral and left leaning if you like..I understand this is algorithm based, doesn't mean the algorithm can't be manipulated, call it conspiratorial if you must but it appears real...

Last edited by dbowie; 12-08-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Hate to spoil the party but in Australia we have no right to freedom of speech, not drafted in any legislation anywhere, if the government saw fit to curtail whatever free speech we may have it could, and there is no constitutional protection against it.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM
blindman
Now I see !!!

Somewhere in the Cosmos, Russian detected;
How many chemtrails did you count?
I think we are still getting just a few, USA territory - much more, just check million videos from USA.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Hate to spoil the party but in Australia we have no right to freedom of speech, not drafted in any legislation anywhere, if the government saw fit to curtail whatever free speech we may have it could, and there is no constitutional protection against it.
The High Court had a ruling some years back about an implied right to Free Speech in relation to government and political discussion, as being in the Constitution.

Also, Australia is a signatory to the UN Human Rights Charter, which has freedom of speech aspects written into several of its clauses, though some other international agreement means the interpretation of what those clauses mean can include such things as 18C not violating those clauses.
Regards,
Renato
Old 12-08-2017, 04:22 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

The media has never been neutral. If it's left-leaning now perhaps it's in response to right-wing crazies like Trump and Putin wielding so much power. Those two seem much more dangerous than a few loonies having their You-tube channels restricted.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionary View Post
Blindman, any curtailment of Free Speech is clear and present threat to a free and open society. Our greatest protection has always been, and will always be Free Speech.
We are in extraordinarily dangerous times. It seems we have collectively forgotten how important it is to defend Free Speech. It doesn't matter what's being said, what matters is that it can be said! Say whatever needs be said, when ever it needs to be said, without fear, that should be our "media policy".
+1.....well said, David.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Within reason..... so you are happy to have some radical using his "religion" as a platform to incite others to hate and to commit atrocities 'in the name of their religion' after all that's his right according to some....

I think there should be an IQ test before some are allowed to exercise their free speech......
If I'm not mistaken, there are already laws against hate speech.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:41 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Perfectly correct. What a lot of Aussies don't seem to understand, is that our constitution is not a constitution in the American model, but largely it deals with the agreement between the former Australian colonies to federate.....our constitution simply delineates the powers to be exercised by the Commonwealth and the States.