Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

TMB Type II eyepieces

Hi all,

I have a four of the current crop of the TMB Type II eyepieces for sale. These are all great performers in refractors (that's what these had been designed for), and the 8mm, 7.5mm, & 4.5mm do a good job in Newtonians. The 6mm is not so good in Newts, so best left for a refractor.

Very underestimated eyepieces and so much easier to use than similar focal length plossls.

These are all in excellent condition, not a mark on them anywhere. All come with caps, box and silica pouch in the box.

Asking $50 each including post, or make me an offer for multiples SOLD!

Pics shortly.

Thanks for looking,

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 11-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:00 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

I am interested in some usable high power eye pieces but apart from the ED80 the rest of my scopes are Celestron C5, C6 & C8. How do you think they would go? What are the exit pupil and eye relieve like? with Plossils I have tended to find this focal length difficlt to use.

Roger
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Roger,

These eyepieces are all much easier to use than plossls - eye relief is generous and the same across the entire line, and all with a nice big eye lens.

I often use these TMBs with my lunar sketching. I typically spend two hours on a sketch, so the eyepieces need to be comfortable to use with the hundreds of times I go to and fro from EP to sketch pad. Plossl eyepieces are just not up to the job.

I have a few of these in my kit that I am keeping. These particular eyepieces are duplicates on focal lengths I already have covered.

Exit pupil is given by dividing the eyepiece focal length by the scope's focal ratio. Exit pupil is one aspect you can use to determine the suitability of an EP. Another is the max magnification a given aperture can do. For your SCT's, the 4.5mm is right on the absolute shortest focal length EP. The 8mm will give you 250X on your C8, which is often the max I can do in my 8" SCT. The 4.5mm you'll more often use with the ED80.

The pic below shows a 9mm TMB Type II next to a 9mm plossl. The other focal lengths of these Type II's pretty much look the same as this 9mm.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TMB 9mm vs GSO plossl 9mm.jpg)
96.6 KB29 views
Old 09-08-2017, 11:12 PM
rogerco (Roger)
Roger

Ok I will take the set, let me know your location and I can probably pick up if that is possible, I'm in the mid Blue Mountains but will be coming down to Sydney in the next few days.