ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Bank Royal Commission..

We don't need a banking royal commission....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-0...-hurts/8772390
Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 PM
Wavytone

Meh... You'll see lawyers queuing outside the mercedes dealers tomorrow as this means guaranteed fees for years to come.

Our court system is so slow as to be almost useless - look at Obeid for example; everyone knew he was corrupt and should have been locked up decades ago, but the legal process ground along so slowly it only did that for the last few years of his life and even then if terminally ill he'll be let out on compassionate grounds.

My guess is CBA has nothing to fear for at least another 10 years, by which time the current CEO will be retired, the entire board will have moved on, and they'll shift the entire operation offshore to a tax haven where our laws have no jurisdiction. In the meantime we'll have had a stockmarket crash or two to provide some distractions (and more opportunities for the legal money laundering racket that is the stockmarket).

Given the trend to move large enterprises offshore I'm actually surprised banks haven't done that long ago and reduced their presence here to mere websites.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:49 PM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

True That...
Old 04-08-2017, 12:57 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowie View Post
We don't need a banking royal commission....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-0...-hurts/8772390
Why don't we?
Or do we?

My conspiracy theory...someone is trying to drive the share value down so they can buy more shares.

Who will be frightened out of their shares I don't know because if you really avoid the sky is falling mantra it is easy to conclude the bank won't be allowed to fail, the process will be so long as to offer minor consequence ..

Follow the money...who could be grinding this axe.

Tip when they drop buy in...
Anyone selling short? Who?

Whilst we look for a wipe.out of the bank remember traders profit on relative minor share price fluctuations.
You mentioned my spelling earlier I admit I dont pay it much attention and it is not terrific anyways but I am typing all this stuff on a small phone with my left thumb and so I would ask you to extend me a small tolerance here.

And I think I figured the "Dad" thing..was it my post re getting back to Sydney? I was thinking about my father and typed in Dad ..you must have read it before I edited it...but so you know I didn't type it from some sort of paternal claim over the forum.

Anyways what are your thoughts on the pros and cons of the statement in your op.
Alex
Old 04-08-2017, 01:19 AM
dbowie (Brenton)
Its just lens fever....

Rope burn..

I was thinking no need coz they'll all hang emselves eventually but as Wavytone and you point out its prob gonna be a hack job one way or the other mebbe even JP Morganish if the CBA has to pay a trillion dollars fine, who will bail them out therefore creating a new banking environment...

Last edited by dbowie; 04-08-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:49 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am never sure what is the point if a Royal Commission other than attempt to convince the public that something is being done, which is somewhat ironic given the many recommendations that are not acted upon..

So far the market does not seen to care if the share price offers any indication.

Alex
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
I am never sure what is the point if a Royal Commission
Also gives unemployed/retired lawyers and judges a way to score some more easy money, as well as give the Govt of the day a means to obfuscate the whole process. Too big to fail comes to mind when we only have 4 banks.

Andrew
Old 05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

I just knew this would happen the minute they stopped handing out the little tin moneyboxes and stopped using passbooks.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:47 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

There's a new bank in town ....

Criminal Bank of Australia ( CBA )

Old 10-08-2017, 11:27 AM
casstony

Bypass the enquiries and go straight to the pitchforks I reckon. The big banks are a blight on society.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:21 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well if you have a super fund involvement you may have money invested in CBA as well as the rest.
Alex
Old 11-08-2017, 08:56 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Well if you have a super fund involvement you may have money invested in CBA as well as the rest.
Alex
White collar gangsters sharing some of the spoils to keep you on side.

Their shady activities covered by the media are small time compared to the real damage: by funding asset bubbles with cheap money they've put our economy in a perilous position.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
White collar gangsters sharing some of the spoils to keep you on side.

Their shady activities covered by the media are small time compared to the real damage: by funding asset bubbles with cheap money they've put our economy in a perilous position.
I wonder why money is so cheap.

Is it the fault of the banks?
I maybe being over simplistic and falling into the trap of generalisation however can we see banks as anything more than agents who lend other peoples money.

I would like to see figures that identify where the money comes from.

I guess that it may be that super may be behind all the problems actually...pure speculation...but consider the buckets of cash in super funds that must get a return.

The price of money suggests the supply is high otherwise interest rates would be higher.

I found it interesting CBA short term bonuses have been reduced from the aspect that such has taken place but more importantly the fast response.

Alex
Old 11-08-2017, 09:35 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Gday Alex
Quote:
I would like to see figures that identify where the money comes from.
I suspect that since the corporations managed to get rid of the gold standard, a lot of the money doesnt actually exist, other than as a few bits in a computer.
Its all starting to look like a ponzi scheme based on trust.

Andrew
Old 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I wonder why money is so cheap.

Is it the fault of the banks?
Alex
Our banks fuel the economic crisis locally, while its architects are to be found on Wall Street. There's a very good British documentary explaining it all, including how the banks securitised loans and sold those securities to unsophisticated investors, enabling the banks to effectively have no limits on lending, thereby soaking the world in debt. With all that debt there's a lot of pressure to keep interest rates low.

I'll try to find a link to that documentary.

Keep in mind that US politicians, corporations and the Federal Reserve have a very cosy relationship: CEO's, politicians/public servants and bankers cycle through jobs.

Last edited by casstony; 11-08-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:14 AM
casstony

Can't remember if it was "Inside Job" or "The Ascent of Money" I was thinking of, but they'd both be worth watching.
http://www.investopedia.com/articles...fessionals.asp
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Bypass the enquiries and go straight to the pitchforks I reckon. The big banks are a blight on society.
Yeee-haa!! I'll fetch the tar and feathers.

But what do we really do about them? One way or another they own nearly everything.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:08 PM
casstony

We need banks, but we also need proper government regulation to protect us from corporate greed. Unfortunately we have dumb politicians who don't realise that recessions are a healthy part of the business cycle and they have worked with the banks to blow asset bubbles, turning many Australians into debt slaves.

When the sh__ hits the fan (next financial crisis), the banks should be nationalised with shareholders and bondholders losing their money but depositors protected. Instead taxpayers money will be used to bail out the banks rewarding their bad behaviour.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:23 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Not sure why anyone would stay with the big 4. I left the NAB after they stuffed my home loan. Their service is rubbish, unless of course you are a foreign real estate investor, then they love you.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
We need banks, but we also need proper government regulation to protect us from corporate greed. Unfortunately we have dumb politicians who don't realise that recessions are a healthy part of the business cycle and they have worked with the banks to blow asset bubbles, turning many Australians into debt slaves.
We certainly need banking services but do we also need the financial institutions to effectively own society?

I'll have to disagree with you about the 'health' of recessions. Having seen a big one up close and personal that certainly wasn't my grandparents take on them.

I also don't agree that it was because of 'dumbness' that pollies have colluded with the banks to turn many Australian onto debt slaves. From their point of view it's a bl**dy brilliant idea. [As a general rule people tend to see any action detrimental to their interests as being caused by stupidity, even when their is clear evidence that the perpetrator(s) are far from stupid. I think this is because most people believe, sometimes unconsciously, in the 'common good' version of society. Once you understand that society is a battleground that illusion falls away.]

Quote:
When the sh__ hits the fan (next financial crisis), the banks should be nationalised with shareholders and bondholders losing their money but depositors protected. Instead taxpayers money will be used to bail out the banks rewarding their bad behaviour.
This is heading towards a plan of action. However, if you are going to nationalise the banks, why wait until they create another mess? I can be outside my local branch of the CBA, pitchfork in hand, in 30 minutes. I'll tell my wife to hold dinner. The big hole in the plan so far is the question of who will control the nationalised banks? The pollies who are in bed with the banks? That's not just an uninspiring choice, it's impractical. We need to find a way to put people in charge of the financial institutions who will act in our interests. [Hmmm .. not so easy is it?]