Old 22-01-2020, 10:23 AM
doug mc

Storage box for scope

Thinking of making a storage box for the cassegrain. Here in sub tropical Queensland, especially here on Tamborine Mountain (in the clouds sometimes) it can get very humid. Is it ok to add a closet camel in the box. Just wondering if these things emit anything problematic.
Old 22-01-2020, 10:41 AM
glend (Glen)

I have used those Bunnings Damp absorber canisters in my scope room for many years, they do not seem to have any harmful emissions. If your building a storage box, make sure it has some ventilation or breathing ports, the last thing you want is to open it up and find mold on the optics. And obviously Don't put the scope away wet, I usually wait at least 24hrs.
Old 22-01-2020, 12:52 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

You might want to think about something like this ...

https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...l-dry-cabinets

Andrew
Old 22-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Wavytone

An old sock containing desiccant is fine.

You can buy 2kg bags of bi-colour silica gel quite cheaply which can be dried in the oven and reused.
Old 23-01-2020, 08:13 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

There are two problems for everyone wanting to put their scope in a non-factory box:

1, humidity/damp control, which is a problem for everyone and can ruin scopes if appropriate precautions are not taken.

2, suitable support, which we can design for

No. 1, A good step in controlling damp is using a desiccant. You can spend a fortune on Branded products, or save a fortune and make your own as Wavy suggested. I've made desiccant 2" plugs for my scopes and little sacks from old socks. When they change colour indicating they are saturated, you bake the desiccant in the oven following the desiccant supplier's instructions. Be aware that the desiccant needs regular monitoring and recharging. I have a routine of checking every month, and I need to recharge them every month. Don't check and recharge, and you may as well not have them.

WHERE you keep your scope is also just as important. I've seen stonking good Maksutov ruined because even though it was kept in its factory made case, it was kept in a garage with poor ventilation. The stink of mould was quite a smack in the nose when the case was opened Only place for that scope is the tip now

No. 2, I've also made a few scope cases. Designing a box needs you to think about how you expect to store and use the scope. If you go camping the case needs to be robust to take the knocks and be able to deal with having stuff loaded on top of it. You cannot drive safely if in the back of your mind you are constant worried about the fragile scope in its eggshell case. But if you keep it at home, you can then give a little more preference to the case's appearance.

Below are two cases I've made. One is for a fork mounted 8" SCT, the other for a 9" Mak. Each case snuggly holds each scope in place, appropriately supports the OTA (each scope has different requirements according to how they are configured), and because they are kept at home I've made certain aesthetic choices, but they are also robust enough to have stuff chucked on top of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SCT case (1).JPG)
183.5 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (SCT case (5).JPG)
148.1 KB38 views
Click for full-size image (SCT case (9).JPG)
172.1 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (Santel Mak case (2).JPG)
160.6 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (Santel Mak case (3).JPG)
147.2 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (Santel Mak case (6).JPG)
184.0 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (Santel Mak case (13).JPG)
168.2 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (Santel Mak case (15).JPG)
135.7 KB42 views
Old 23-01-2020, 08:18 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I've also made a case for my NEQ6 mount based around both halves of the moulded foam insert that the scope originally came with. I did cut down the moulded foam too to make it smaller in size and volume, but it still protects the mount. I keep the counter weights on top of the case along with all manner of other stuff.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NEQ6 mount box (2).JPG)
186.7 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (NEQ6 mount box (4).JPG)
169.3 KB40 views
Click for full-size image (NEQ6 mount box (6).JPG)
132.7 KB51 views
Old 23-01-2020, 09:48 PM
doug mc

Brilliant Alex, thanks. Will take on board all recommendations.