Old 15-06-2010, 11:07 AM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

How to best use a Ha filter with Hyperstar?

I just realised that the mechanical connection between my QHY8Pro and the Hyperstar is T2. I have 1.25 and 2" LPS and 2" Ha 12nm filters. Has any one come up with a cost effective way of mounting an LPS or Ha in the front of the QHY8Pro that still allows connection and correct spacing to the Hyperstar T thread or do you just go without?

Astronomik have T-thread Ha, but USD200........I presume an LPS would be similar.

Edit - Just read Marc's comments of 24-10-2009 (Googles my friend, too!). I'd forgotten all about the little filter hidey hole. When all else fails, read the manual!

BTW Marc, now that I've got the Hyperstar fitted and the C8+Qhy8Pro mounted ready for collimation, do you have any further wise words of wisdom regarding that task?

Last edited by mldee; 15-06-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Filter comments and question to Marc.
Old 15-06-2010, 12:05 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
BTW Marc, now that I've got the Hyperstar fitted and the C8+Qhy8Pro mounted ready for collimation, do you have any further wise words of wisdom regarding that task?
If your C8 is already collimated and aligned chances are you'll be spot on when screwing the hyperstar on. If not you still can tilt the hyperstar on the corrector. Alu threads can get clogged over time with alu dust so it's a good idea to wipe them clean with a small amount of spray-on grease or other (spray on a cotton bud) on the secondary cell and the hyperstar thread so everything threads in and out smoothly. Other than that, that's pretty much it. Have fun!

Last edited by multiweb; 15-06-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15-06-2010, 12:44 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Thanks Marc, we're all set and ready to go, once the clouds agree....

LPS V2 filter now safely screwed in to the hidey hole as well. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing up and running.

Cheers,
Old 15-06-2010, 01:20 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldee View Post
I'm really looking forward to getting this thing up and running.
Just point and shoot. Easy peasy. You're never gonna sleep again. You realise that don't you?
Old 15-06-2010, 01:47 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Yep, sounds like it's going to be a more expensive version of just downloading images from the HST website

BTW, I finished up with two used C8's, one which I can keep Hyperstar configured, and another for plain and FR work, if I can ever get it collimated. Longer term plan is, if I like the results from the C8's, to buy a used C11 + HS for bigger photon bucket, and sell the two C8's. Having two C11's may be a bit over the top though

Cheers,
Old 15-06-2010, 07:48 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Firstlight for the Hyperstar...

Well, had a fiddle with all the collimating screws, still needs some work, but impatience got the better of me. Same old Eta C target that I was using last week with the C8+FR.

The Hyperstar.....well, as Marc says, easy peasy! I think I'm going to like this gadget.

First light pic: 7x20sec stacked and simple stretch, all in Neb, no other processing. PHD with finderguider + DSI II. Clouds stopped any further experimentation.

I'm happy, for a simple test drive first pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (100615 ngc3372 QHL small.jpg)
164.1 KB68 views
Old 15-06-2010, 08:02 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Not bad at all. Looks like a flat field to me.