Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Cacnon 350D Twin Lens Kit??

Hi guys.

After some opinion on this..

At JB Hi-Fi they have a Canon 350D Twin Lens Kit..
- 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
- 75-300mm f4-5.6 Tele Lens

For $1597 (normally $1850 or so).

Good value?

I know the stock lenses aren't going to be great, but I can't afford to spend another $1000 just for a lens. I want to use this camera for terrestrial photography (I like landscapes) as well as the odd widefield milkyway shot. In the future I'd like to do prime focus astrophotography with it (when I get a proper EQ mount), but that's a while off as my EQ platform isn't accurate enough to do it now.

What else is included in this usual kit? Batteries? Rechargers? Remotes? Memory cards?

What other costs do I need to consider?

I also have the option of 12 month interest free so can play now pay later

I really can't afford it, but I really want a DSLR and $300 off might be a good time to get one.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Well worth it Mike,

The kit lenses are fine to start with.

You will get a battery and the charger comes with the camera...sometimes they throw in a small memory card if it's the enthusiast pack

1) Get a large memory card...atleast 512mb minimum
2) Buy a Spare battery does not have to be a genuine Canon also both of these can be found on ebay saving you some dollars.
3) I/R filter....very cheap....only about $20
4) Cable release's are cheap
5) Buy a lowpro bag...bit expensive but worth it in the long run...or even ask for 1 for Christmas
Old 12-11-2005, 10:34 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

As Tony said Mike. A memory card is not usually included. Definately the Cable release. The only other things I'd suggest is the firmware hack for the mirror lock function, I've never had any problems with it. And DSLR Focus.

As for lenses. After getting a 50mm f/1.8 prime lense (about $160) I've not used the zooms. Mind you I do have a 2X teleconverter. I just find it a lot less mucking about. Though I do recall reading hear somewhere by cventer that you can focus your lenses automatically using DSLR Focus. Since reading this I haven't had any clear skies to try it out, so the sooms mightn't be as much of a problem as before. (Am I right in this Chris, or did I mis-read something?) One thing about the EF zooms though (I have the 25-90, 35-80 and the 80-200) is that they all exhibit chromatic aberation to one degree or another (well the ones I have do). The 50mm prime seems to be less affected.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 PM
rowena

u definatley want a spare battery... i normally use 1 and a half batteries during a night of photography. What really chews your battery time is long exposures!!

will also need a cable release.

I am using only the stock standard lenses at the moment.

I'd probably go for a 1 gig CF card too. that way u wont run out of space ..specially if your taking images in RAW, and if your at a astro camp then u won't need to upload or change CF cards half way through the night!!

ohh and the price seems good too!
Old 13-11-2005, 06:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
The only other things I'd suggest is the firmware hack for the mirror lock function
I thought this was only necessary for the 300D? It's the 350D i'm looking at.

Quote:
I/R filter....very cheap....only about $20
What do you use this for?

I also want a polarising filter - how much are these normally?

Thanks for the responses so far.. Looks like there's some extra cost on top.. unfortunately my current camera uses Memory Stick Pro so I can't re-use it in the DSLR.
Old 13-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

I/R Filter is just a cheap filter to look after your lenses....I leave mine on permanantly.

Your better of using a Hoya $20 IR filter to collect all the dust then your lense.

Polarising filter are expensive....I think they range from around $70 to $300 depending on size and brand.

The 350D already has mirror lock

The Battery's are really cheap on Ebay...only around $20

I also agree with Rowena regarding the memory card....512 is a start...go as big as you can..I am using a 1 gig...seems plentiful at the moment.
Old 13-11-2005, 09:28 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Well there you go, I didn't know th 350 had the mirror lock.
Old 13-11-2005, 09:37 AM
RB (Andrew)

Mike it looks like a great deal.
I like the 12 months option. You might like to try Domayn at W.Gos'd.
They may have 18 or 24 months interest free. Worth a look and ask them to match or better your deal from JB.
I use both stores and they do great deals.

If you can, go for the 1gig CF card.
The best prices I've found locally is here. $149 although you'll prob find cheaper on ebay etc.
http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_CC-SDCFU-..._II_1.0GB.html

I get by with one battery for now.

Good luck mate and if you get it I'll have to build that sound switch for you

Cheers
Old 13-11-2005, 10:48 AM
CometGuy

Hi Mike,

Make sure you have a look at the current $400 cashback deal on the 350D + 17-85mm Image stabilised lens. For example at photocontinental they sell this camera + lens for $2199 - $400 cashback = $1799. You might get a better price than this as well, although you have to make sure it is an Australian source camera + lens.

There are also other lens + camera cashback deals available, see:

http://www1.canon.com.au/eosoffer/default.asp?cid=103

The 17-85 is a solid good quality lens, USM (eg silent + fast) focusing, good zoom range plus has image stabilization. Worth the extra $200 I reckon.

Terry
Old 13-11-2005, 12:36 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Great choicein camera Mike.

My 350 came with 18-55mm ef-s zoom, wide strap, battery charger, power cord, battery, interface cable, video cable, software $1799

I got as extras, inca canon battery $49, remote switch rs-60e3 $29, sandisk extreme III 1gig $219, hurricane blower $12, lowpro nova2 $59, manfrotto 190d $229, total $2396

Updates since purchase, Lowpro mini trekker $170, manfrotto055 prob tripod $360, canon 10-22mm $1220, canon 90-300mm $280 i think,

All up total $4426, better not let the missus see this thread.

It pays to stick with one brand, i have a canon powershot s45 that takes the same batteries, memory card, and charger, that takes my batterie total to 4 and cf cards to 3, standard 32mb that holds 2 raws in the 350, 256mb that holds 20 images in raw, and 1 gig that holds 107 raws and 260 high res jpgs.

Good luck with the purchase Mike, it's not cheap but well worth the $$ in enjoyment value.
Old 13-11-2005, 12:49 PM
rowena

ohh there are two types of polarising filters too.... you want the circular polarising filter!... whaat that basicially means, is that when you screw this filter onto your lens, the polarising part is rotating, i.e it means you can turn the filter instead of having to turn your camera or the lens. because polarising filters block out light at 90 degree angles, the circular filter allows you to turn the filter to the position you want. if this doesnt make sense (whiich it probaly doesnt) ask if they have circular polarising filters so you can see one!

you will also have to make sure the filter you gets fits your lens. the two lenses in this kit should both be 58mm, so the filter you need to order is a 58mm. You can also get step down and step up rings too. This allows you to use a bigger or smaller filter and then use the stepping ring to allow you use that size filter on your camera. e.g i have a 60mm solar filter for my camera but because my lenses are 58mm i use a stepdown ring so i can attach my 60mm filter to my 58mm lens.

and finally... canon australia only supports australian warrenty on cameras, and international on lenses. and get the extended warrenty!
Old 13-11-2005, 02:31 PM
TidaLpHasE
Gone fish'n

Forgot to add the polarising filter, got one to fit the 10-22mm, circular polarising Hoya 77mm $170.
Old 13-11-2005, 04:27 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys and gals.

I have now in my possession a 350D! I own a DSLR!

Of course I haven't paid for it yet, 12 months interest free Will elaborate more (on what I got) when I get a bit more time. It's happy hour now (feeding the kids dinner).

More later!

PS: I own a DSLR! :shocked:
Old 13-11-2005, 04:37 PM
h0ughy (David)

congrats Mike! now for DSLR, and all the other goodies
Old 13-11-2005, 08:15 PM
rowena

Wooo another canon owner! Welcome to the gang!
Old 14-11-2005, 06:54 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks guys and gals.

I ended up with the 350D kit, came with the 2 lenses as mentioned above.
- 18-55mm f3.5-5.6
- 75-300mm f4-5.6 Tele Lens

I also got a 1gig CF card, and extended (by 4 years) warranty. Total cost: $1800

Now I need to get a camera bag, remote switch and spare battery as the first priorities.
And I/R filter and circular polarising filter as 2nd priorities.

What are the best (good value) ones of these to get, where's the best place to get them from and how much are they?

Thanks again.
Old 14-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Robby

Congrats Mike! You'll love the camera!
I also have the 75-300mm lens (actually 120-480mm with chip 1.6x re-calc).
The lens is fine. Great for terestial work. Probably a bit slow for astrophotography, but if you have a good mount & tracking, should be fine. I haven't tried... Yet another thing on the todo list if the clouds ever clear.
Cheers
Old 14-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Jonathan

You're going to love that camera Mike!
Ebay is pretty good for picking up cheap new filters. Search in - Cameras & Accessories > Photographic Accessories > Filters.
Hoya is probably the most common brand and is well priced. You've got to get UV filters for both lenses as a priority. They can be left on the lens virtually all the time to protect the glass, and they cut down haze in your photo's. Cost from $15 - $50 depending on diameter and type.

After that, look at getting Circular Polarizing filters, mainly one for your 18-55mm lens, not so important for the 70-300mm depending on what you're photographing (I rarely use Circular Polarizing filters on my bigger lenses, but reguarly on my smaller ones). They'll give you brilliant deep blue skies in your pictures, and they'll also cut down reflections from shiny surfaces and water. Cost from $30 - $70, depending on diameter etc. Just one thing to be careful of though. Because the front of the filter rotates, the entire filter mount is quite thick compared to a normal filter (on Hoya brand anyway). It can cause vignetting at wide angles - I've had this problem at 28mm with my Nikon 35mm camera. I'm sure there must be someone here with the same lens that could tell you.

Another thing you might want to consider getting is lens hoods (unless they came with the lenses). They shield your lens from stray light and at night they work as a dew shield as well for those piggy back shots. If you were to get a non-canon brand one, be careful of vignetting with the wide angle lens.

Like Tony said, ask for a Lowepro bag for Christmas. I've got a fairly small one but it's like the tardis - big on the inside. I can fit a camera body, 2 telephoto lenses, a short lens, a handful of filters, film and other junk into it no probs, and also it's very tough and well made - cost about $70 a few years ago, and will last for many more years.
Old 15-11-2005, 05:02 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the great input guys!

My lenses are 58mm.. should I always look for 58mm lenses, or do some lenses come in only one size and therefore I have to get an (for example, 70-58mm) adapter?

I definitely need a hood, and will look at getting one.. how much are they? I didn't see any on ebay.
Old 15-11-2005, 06:40 AM
slice of heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker
I/R Filter is just a cheap filter to look after your lenses....I leave mine on permanantly.

Your better of using a Hoya $20 IR filter to collect all the dust then your lense.
I use a Hoya UV filter on the 35mm film camera and leave it on for the same reason, BUT I will quickly remove it if I'm after a good shot and the situation doesn't warrant it being there. Adding an extra piece of glass in front of the lens doesn't help if it's not needed. They are cheap and I dont mind flicking them in the bin and replacing them when it's time.