Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
jakerich154 (Jake)

Nikon D7100

Hi Guys,

My birthday is coming up and was considering asking for a new camera, and was thinking maybe a Nikon D7100. I am just curious if anyone has used on for any type of astrophotography and how well does it work?

Thanks,

Jake
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Kunama

Have at look at the image "Got the Bug" by ChrisM (Sandy Ridge Obs) which was taken with a D7100.. its in Deep Space pic.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Hi Jake,

I posted a brief reply on the other thread also.

I have tried the 7100 on only 2 or 3 objects, and it seems to work as well as the 7000, despite its smaller pixel size. In theory, it should provide better resolution, given its 24 Mp sensor.

I've tried it only at 800 ISO, where noise is not an issue for the typically 60 second exposures that I've taken. I'm using a 14" scope hence I don't need very long exposures to at least capture something.

Regardless of its AP capability, it is a fine and very capable camera for everyday use (which is why I got it). The amount of control the user has is enormous.

I bought the body only, as I already had lenses.

Chris
Old 12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
gregbradley

Nikon D7100 is a Toshiba Sensor and has the highest QE of any current DSLR (60% which is astounding). So there is a lot of potential there. Correction - Sorry that should read Nikon D7200 not 7100 which is somewhat noisy.

I have read reports of some banding in dim areas but I think it was not chronic more the odd time and can be avoided but something to check into.

Fuji XE1 is probably the current king of APSc cameras with its Xtrans colour filter array one of the advantages is lower chromatic noise. Mine does ISO6400 at about the same cleanliness as my D800E but less signal
(less area of chip for one thing).

There is a comparison tool at dpreview.com where you can compare various cameras noise at various ISO levels and both in RAW and jpeg (where they usually look better because of incamera noise reduction being applied).

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...(brand3)/Nikon

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 19-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.