Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 10-07-2020, 02:31 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Alu offcuts

Anybody know where I can get some alu offcust (6061) in Sydney West? I used Capral and Ulrich aluminium in the past but they don't seem to supply that anymore. TIA.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,253
Hi Mark

What sort of offcuts are you looking for, tube, plate, angle ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:09 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Round ~3/4" x 300mm to start with.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:20 PM
billdan's Avatar
billdan (Bill)
Registered User

billdan is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Narangba, SE QLD
Posts: 1,477
Are you after solid or tubes? You can buy aluminium tubes from Bunnings from $20 for 3 Metre lengths in 25mm diameter.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:24 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Are you after solid or tubes? You can buy aluminium tubes from Bunnings from $20 for 3 Metre lengths in 25mm diameter.
Round not tube. I don't know what quality the bunnings stuff is like for machining TBH. Their extruded profiles are ok to make brackets.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:34 PM
sheeny's Avatar
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

sheeny is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oberon NSW
Posts: 12,990
Maybe not exactly what you're asking for now but if you're doing machining I buy these bar ends for stock to turn little jobs up from.


https://speedflow.com.au/aluminium-bar-ends-per-kg/


Al.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Maybe not exactly what you're asking for now but if you're doing machining I buy these bar ends for stock to turn little jobs up from.


https://speedflow.com.au/aluminium-bar-ends-per-kg/


Al.
Thanks for the link Al. That's one way to look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:38 PM
sheeny's Avatar
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

sheeny is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oberon NSW
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
offcust

I knew cust could be lo and ard but didn't know they could be off.


Al.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:53 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
I knew cust could be lo and ard but didn't know they could be off.


Al.
French spelling.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2020, 04:56 PM
sheeny's Avatar
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

sheeny is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oberon NSW
Posts: 12,990
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,253
This what you are after Mark https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...cAAOSwy5ZXDM98.

or this - bay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-Round-Bar-Various-Sizes-x-300mm-long-Grade-6060-T5-6061-T6/112566712249?hash=item1a357fb7b9:g: OdwAAOSwm9tZvf-9&frcectupt=true
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15-07-2020, 01:30 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Just received a bag (3kg) from speedflow. I was pretty impressed with the quality and variety of supply in the "cust" bit they sent. Definitely would recommend. Merci beaucoup Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
This what you are after Mark https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...cAAOSwy5ZXDM98.

or this - bay.com.au/itm/Aluminium-Round-Bar-Various-Sizes-x-300mm-long-Grade-6060-T5-6061-T6/112566712249?hash=item1a357fb7b9:g: OdwAAOSwm9tZvf-9&frcectupt=true
Thanks Jeff. I try to avoid ebay and O/S suppliers. Lately have had a bad run with issues and not only postage.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15-07-2020, 11:08 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)
Registered User

Saturnine is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wollongong
Posts: 1,253
Hi Mark

Good to hear that you got the alum. bar you needed.
The Ebay links I supplied are for local suppliers, one of them was in Marrickville in Sydney but recently moved a few suburbs away. Have gotten several bits and pieces from them over the past few years.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16-07-2020, 09:34 AM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Hi Mark

Good to hear that you got the alum. bar you needed.
The Ebay links I supplied are for local suppliers, one of them was in Marrickville in Sydney but recently moved a few suburbs away. Have gotten several bits and pieces from them over the past few years.
Thanks mate. Good to know they're local. Will have another look.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16-07-2020, 03:10 PM
appiice (Ed)
Registered User

appiice is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: BATHURST
Posts: 38
Hello Marc

If you are in Western Syd, you could try Action Aluminium - 87 Victoria St Smithfield.
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16-07-2020, 03:12 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Hello Marc

If you are in Western Syd, you could try Action Aluminium - 87 Victoria St Smithfield.
Ed
Thanks Ed. Just down the road from me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16-07-2020, 04:52 PM
sheeny's Avatar
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

sheeny is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oberon NSW
Posts: 12,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Just received a bag (3kg) from speedflow. I was pretty impressed with the quality and variety of supply in the "cust" bit they sent. Definitely would recommend. Merci beaucoup Al.



Thanks Jeff. I try to avoid ebay and O/S suppliers. Lately have had a bad run with issues and not only postage.
No worries mate!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17-07-2020, 10:59 AM
dikman (Richard)
Registered User

dikman is offline
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Just received a bag (3kg) from speedflow. I was pretty impressed with the quality and variety of supply in the "cust" bit they sent. Definitely would recommend. Merci beaucoup Al.

Sounds interesting. What did they charge for shipping for the 3 kg?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17-07-2020, 01:40 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Sounds interesting. What did they charge for shipping for the 3 kg?
That's the only cost really. Toll courier was $18.50. Material $18.18. But 3kg is 3kg. They're in Taree. Good for anybody in Port Macquarie though.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17-07-2020, 01:44 PM
multiweb's Avatar
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

multiweb is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hinchinbrook
Posts: 19,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
Hello Marc

If you are in Western Syd, you could try Action Aluminium - 87 Victoria St Smithfield.
Ed
Went there this morning and they have a full rack of offcuts. Pretty cool. They're cheaper than capral and ulrich as well. And they carry 6061. The same shop in Smeaton Grange doesn't do offcuts though. I had rung them last week and crossed Action Aluminium off the list. Lucky you told me about that other shop in Smithfield.

The bloke gave me a full catalogue but I already spotted some of the bits I could use in the racks. And they can cut to size if needed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time is now 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7 | Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertisement
Astromechanics
Advertisement
Lunatico Astronomical
Advertisement
Bintel
Advertisement
Testar
Advertisement
Astronomy and Electronics Centre
Advertisement