Old 13-06-2008, 05:31 AM
leon

Canon 1DS Mark 111

Hi Guys, and good morning to you all, yep it is still pretty early, but as I can see I'm not alone here at the moment.

Anyway I was just wondering about Canons new 1DS Mark 111 DSLR, 21 meg pixel camera.

Would the extra pixels be an advantage for astro work or, is it just that one can get bigger images, because I suppose if you really think about it, they have just crammed more pixels into the same space as the 5D, which is 12.8 megs.

It is a pretty pricey beast to, at about $11,000.00 for the body only.

Just wondered about the comparison to the 5D, in its capture ability for astro work.

Leon
Old 13-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Lester

Hi Leon,

I have tried to find out how big the pixels are, but with no results. If the pixels get too small, I gues saturation of pixels can be an issue on brighter stars.

As these cameras don't have anit-blooming like the CCD cameras to help stop this.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
21 meg pixel camera.

Leon

its going to depend on lens quality and focal length, cant see it being much use on really long focal lengths without adaptiveoptics, mind you there are 16 megapixel dedicated astro cameras out there.

Q... Does your current camera give you single pixel definition ... ie blown up at 100% is it blurry , if answer is yes then more pixels aint going to help.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:50 AM
h0ughy (David)

you couldnt get to try one out could you?
Old 13-06-2008, 06:57 AM
netwolf

According to Dpreview its a Full frame which I assume means 35mm. So looks like a bigger chip, pixel pitch is given as 6.4um.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos1dsmarkiii/
Old 13-06-2008, 07:32 AM
leon

Thanks Guys, and Houghy, that is not out of the question actually, my good friend at Camera House, lets me try and buy with anything else, but this maybe pushing the friendship, but I will talk to him about it.

He is actually very interested in what we do with the cameras, and nearly freaked out when I showed him how I pulled the 5D apart to replace the filter.

Leon
Old 13-06-2008, 10:54 AM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
He is actually very interested in what we do with the cameras, and nearly freaked out when I showed him how I pulled the 5D apart to replace the filter.
They're just a bunch of wusses those daytime guys!!!
Old 13-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Hi Guys, and good morning to you all, yep it is still pretty early, but as I can see I'm not alone here at the moment.

Anyway I was just wondering about Canons new 1DS Mark 111 DSLR, 21 meg pixel camera.

Would the extra pixels be an advantage for astro work or, is it just that one can get bigger images, because I suppose if you really think about it, they have just crammed more pixels into the same space as the 5D, which is 12.8 megs.

It is a pretty pricey beast to, at about $11,000.00 for the body only.

Just wondered about the comparison to the 5D, in its capture ability for astro work.

Leon
An awful lot of money to pay for camera just to get some extra pixcels and chip that is the same size as a 35mm film frame.

I think the advantages of the 21mpix full frame chip in the camera would be mostly wider field images - getting image per exposure, the camera is fully professional so it'll be very rugged too.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Zuts

Hi Leon,

You already have a full frame sensor in the 5D and its modded. Being modded it would be better for astro photography than the 1D, unless you mod that as well and are you prepared to mod a 10,000 dollar camera?

The extra pixels wont be that much help, you already oversample with the 5D for your FL so you would just be oversampling more with the 1D.

If you have 10,000 to spend, go and buy an SBIG ST 11K.

Paul
Old 13-06-2008, 07:18 PM
leon

Paul, funny you mentioned that, it actually crossed my mind, and I said to myself, "Leon if you want to spend 10 grand on a camera go SBIG",

Paul you are a clever man.

leon
Old 13-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Paul, funny you mentioned that, it actually crossed my mind, and I said to myself, "Leon if you want to spend 10 grand on a camera go SBIG",

Paul you are a clever man.

leon
If I was clever it would be me with enough cash to think about the SBIG, so you are the clever one; and what the heck it's your birthday so go for it

My only caveat is that the new SBIG cameras will be released in a few months ....

Paul
Old 13-06-2008, 08:20 PM
leon

Hey Doug, you are right I had to explain it to his missus today, and she just stood there in amazement, mouth open.

Come on Paul 10,000 grand on a body alone, gee's

Anyway I have the opportunity to try out the Mark 111 in a couple of weeks,

Talk to you soon

Leon

Last edited by leon; 13-06-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 13-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Hey Doug, you are right I had to explain it to his missus today, and she just stood there in amazement, mouth open.

Come on Paul 10,000 grand on a body alone, gee's

Anyway I have the opportunity to try out the Mark 111 in a couple of weeks,

Talk to you soon

Leon

So are you going to let her splash out and spend $10k on something she wants too ?
Old 14-06-2008, 05:52 PM
leon

Ian, Alice can have anything she wants, she is just not into Astronomy, now if I mention Diamonds, well that is a different story.

Leon