Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories

Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Imme (Jon)

Automated observatory roof (closing)

Hi guys,
Who out there has an automated roof closing system on the obs? One that accounts for rain, dew or the end of a data collection session? I'd really like to extend my data collection time however I do like sleep.
My control system for opening/closing the roof is a push button affair linked to relays controlling the motor.....connecting an external controller to this shouldn't be a major issue I think.
I'm currently using APT as control software.....and I think I'd like to stay with it if I can.

So what are people using as a controller?

Any issues I should be aware of?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:28 AM
glend (Glen)

I use my hand. Seriously, i set my phone alarm for the end of session (managed by SGP), and i walk up the back and close the roof roof and turn the power off. Takes no more than five minutes and i am back in bed. Old folks like me need to get up to go to the toilet anyway.
And you know, if i had it automated i would probably still get up and check on it, or i would not be able to sleep. I do have Teamviewer running in the house so i can always check on (and control) the run without going outside.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Imme (Jon)

That's definitely an option Glen....but I guess I'm looking for 'security' when it comes to rain/dew.
Old 14-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Boozlefoot
SQM 21.98 mag./arc sec2

Suggest you contact Somnium (Aidan) IIS member. He's done all the hard yards on this type of gear and can advise you on relatively simple off the shelf gear, or simply check his posts listings and also his Youtube shows..
Old 14-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Imme (Jon)

Thanks rod.

Will do
Old 17-01-2018, 05:01 PM
terrynz (Terence)
Terry_wlg_NZ

automation and weather

Hi Jon,

I've got this set up on my Sirius 3.5m dome that operates remotely 140km and 2hrs drive from where I live in NZ.

I used a Lunatico cloud watcher system that integrated to Maxdome, my Davis Pro weatherstation, and ACP. Although you could set it up for any ascom roof controllor, without any other integration.

The software takes a bit to calibrate, but its been working well for ~3 years now.

hope this helps.
cheers
Terry
Old 17-01-2018, 05:10 PM
rally

Get an ASCOM compliant controller for the ROR and add a Boltwood or add some AAG sensors to it
That way it will close on completion, close on failure, close on dawn or close on weather etc
Might as well do it properly

I'll assume there are definitely no clearance issues with the roof and the scope !