Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions

Old 31-10-2019, 11:48 AM
TARDIS737 (Lachlan Ellis)

Is Andrews Communications a good source for William Optics products?

Hey all, I am looking to buy my first scope, and I am pretty much set on the William Optics Zenithstar 61 with Flat61 and 48mm T-mount adapter.

The only place I have found that sells this equipment is Andrews Communications. I have read some stuff online from last year saying that they shouldn't be bought from, while I saw a thread from 8 years ago saying they are a pleasure to deal with.

I have found they have the best price, but I don't know anything about their customer service (which is somewhat important to me). So does anyone know what their warranty is like?

Thanks in advance for your help, I am struggling a fair bit at the moment with decisions. I really want to get my first set up right.

-Lachlan
Old 31-10-2019, 11:51 AM
m11 (Mel)

I have purchased many things from Andrews and they have been good to deal with.

No issues and willing to help.
Old 31-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Lachlan......Andrews are great, prices always good and they post very quickly. I've never had an issue after a number of purchases from them.
I must admit their website isn't slick and they sometimes are hard to contact however I guess this is why they're cheaper than the rest.
My most recent purchase was about 6 months ago.

I vouch for them.

PS - Welcome to ISS....I'm just up the road from you (other side of the Cobaw's)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:04 PM
John W (John Wilkinson)

You can also buy William Optics equipment from MyAstroShop in Qld. Very good service.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 PM
DeWynter (ILYA)

You can buy WO directly from their website if the item is in stock. They are shipping from Taiwan so shipping is cheap and fast. With all delivery, taxes etc. it's still cheaper to buy it on WO site.

PS. I love my WO ZS61 and I'm not gonna sell it any time soon. Perfect for travelling.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Premordial (Max)
Pale green dot

Andrews have been my preferred astro shop in Sydney for about 7 years now. Fair price and reliable service.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:24 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

As a retailer / internet seller Andrews are very good to deal with.

However, they are not astronomers and aren't capable of giving the technical advice of some other stores like BINTEL. They will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Cheers
John B
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Bammo & All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausastronomer View Post
As a retailer / internet seller Andrews are very good to deal with.

However, they are not astronomers and aren't capable of giving the technical advice of some other stores like BINTEL. They will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Cheers
John B
Yep, gotta agree with most of this. It has been quite a while since I've had any dealings with Andrews but as for advice and after sales service, BINTEL are in front because nearly all the people who work there are experienced amateurs (some of whom I count as friends) (full disclosure up-front).

At Andrews, they're generally not. If you are experienced, know exactly what you want and what you are going to do with it, price will probably be your guide or determining factor one way or another and no harm at all in using Andrews who are (generally) a bit cheaper -- sometimes more than a bit.

Best,

L.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM
Pepper (Steve)

The bulk of my gear came from Andrews.
Have zero complaints.
My cameras came from Bintel. Excellent service.
Bought some stuff from Astro anarchy. He too is excellent. If you have any dramas he is super quick to make things right.
Prices vary a bit but You can’t go wrong with any of the above.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:34 PM
Multiverse (Grant)

As a beginner I like to deal with Bintel too, for the reason mentioned earlier - they are active astronomers.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Lachlan
Welcome to iceinspace.
Andrews are very good in my limited experience...my first purchase was over a decade ago, an eq6 and the boss delivered it in person so I was very impressed...recently I purchased a GSO eight inch and later a heq5 ... I have not had to return anything so I dont know how they are that way...all the feed back has been positive although one member said he had a problem ...I dont know the details but clearly there will always be someone who does not get what they expect and so we cant judge either way.

And Bintel are excellent. My purchasers there...years ago a 12 inch dob and Mrs Smith who was there then asked how I was getting it home and when I said on the train she insisted to drive it and me home....more recently a Espirit 80mm...now I could not work out back focus and man were they helpful and patient...also a zwo 1600 mono cooled camera and heaps of bits and pieces..

All have been in store purchases but I did order an asiair zwo WiFi on the phone with Bintel and the unit arrived before I had hung up...Well not that fast but I bet John was putting it in a post pack while I was still talking to him...next day from recollection.

But I think it is important to buy thru these folk as I am sure in both cases they will stand behind their products and both are helpful.

Anyways buy a few things and get started...that's the main thing.
Alex
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Welcome
I’ve been dealing with Bintel for 3 years and never had a problem with them, the staff have a wealth of knowledge in astronomy ( Don, John , Mick and a few others )
They have their finger on the pulse always when it comes to new products
I have bought a few things on line from other sources but 95% of my equipment has been purchased through Bintel
Thoroughly recommend them !!!
Old 17-11-2019, 03:21 PM
crs (Colin)
Colin Melbourne

I have bought from both. Agree with the consensus here that Bintel know more however I like to spread it around a bit.

One thing to check - back order dates. I have been waiting a month for some parts from Bintel that were expected a week ago. Now I'm told it will be another 3 weeks.... I know that 'stuff' happens but I doubt I'll buy on back order again.
Old 19-11-2019, 08:57 PM
BadSean (Sean)

I made a simple enquiry to both Andrews and Bintel recently. I found Andrews responded quicker and more succinctly than Bintel. 10 days on and I'm still waiting for a reply to my second set of questions for Bintel. Andrews replied the same day.