Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2018, 04:04 PM
PKay (Peter)

A quandary – Bike or Scope

It’s only been a bit less than 12 months since I joined IIS, and I do value the advice I have received.
From astro photography novice, to an expert (in my dreams).
Thanks Alex, Chris, Paul, Mike, Jenn, Peter, and the list goes on...

I love going bush, sitting on a mountain, solitude, peace, dehydrated muck, whisky ...

So a choice.
I am looking at the incredible image taken by Peter with the AO RC 16.
I am looking at the AJP PR7 motor cycle.

The scope gets me the images, the bike gets me the experience.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:09 PM
leon

The Stars will be in the same place forever for you, the bike is the way to go for now.
So when the bike dies the stars will still be there for you

Leon
Old 01-04-2018, 05:05 PM
glend (Glen)

The scope won't kill you.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The scope won't kill you.
x 2 Glenn.

I’m still suffering from a very low speed off road crash from 15 years ago.

I said to the doc “at least I didn’t break my ankle”

His response.......”would have been much better if you did, breaks heal”
Old 02-04-2018, 03:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Peter
It is you who should be thanked for the encouragement you have brought to this site.

I know how a motor bike calls one ...I fell victim.
Fortunately my interest in bikes went from a couple of months trail riding straight into moto cross.
I bought my first moto cross bike with out seeing a race, on the Thursday and raced the next Sunday...

I say fortunately because I did very little riding on the road, only after years of racing did I go on the road so I was limited to the safety of a race track.
When I did do a bit on the road it was clear how dangerous it was and I stopped.

Many of the guys I raced with suffered horrible injuries on the road and one of my close friends lost his leg on the way home from work thanks to a small tap from a car.

My point is riding motor bikes on the road is very dangerous and although you can easily hurt yourself the real danger is other motorists.

On the track you crash and get up but on the road a small crash will often kill you.

I think if you treat bikes as toys that is great so long as on the track or trail riding but for transport it really is silly ...use a car...if you want the wind in your face get a convertible...if you want to be macho take up cage fighting.

I have come off moto cross bikes at 100 klms per hour and just brushed myself off and continued racing but I bet one drop on the road at half that speed could see you dead.
Dont do it.
Alex
Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

SCOPE!

Too many deaths on motorcycles...almost caused a couple myself sadly.

BUT, there are other options than the AO 16 that do the same for MUCH less. Plus it's not the scope as much as the mount, and the proper mount for an AO 16 or similar is another $15K to $20K

Paul Haese gets VERY VERY nice results with his new GSO Newt - that might be worth considering, and you could even buy the motorcycle.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:24 PM
casstony

I had great fun on dirt bikes on endure tracks for many years, along with the odd broken bone. I never encouraged my kids to get into bikes though and I doubt they ever will now. It's one thing to take risks for oneself but the dangers become much more prescient when I think of my kids - I'd rather they did rock climbing or something else that doesn't involve speed.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:29 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

I can do you a deal on a matching Bike and Solar scope combo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20180402162629 (Medium).jpg)
68.9 KB75 views
Old 02-04-2018, 06:18 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Is that a motoscope or a telecycle?
Old 02-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Go the bike, image later.

PM me if you need the philosophical discussion, I do both as well and would not have it any other way.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:58 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Is that a motoscope or a telecycle?
Old 02-04-2018, 07:45 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
It’s only been a bit less than 12 months since I joined IIS, and I do value the advice I have received.
From astro photography novice, to an expert (in my dreams).
Thanks Alex, Chris, Paul, Mike, Jenn, Peter, and the list goes on...

I love going bush, sitting on a mountain, solitude, peace, dehydrated muck, whisky ...

So a choice.
I am looking at the incredible image taken by Peter with the AO RC 16.
I am looking at the AJP PR7 motor cycle.

The scope gets me the images, the bike gets me the experience.
Go a motorcycle for now as it appears you already have some kind of imaging scope if you get the urge. Clouds, wind and full moon don't really affect a motorcycle, even rain if you are keen. But that bike you mentioned is damn ugly, it must be one hell of a performer.

Both will satisfy your bush/mountain needs - and add whiskey and a sleeping bag, all set!

Cheers,
Damien
Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Peter,

I'd suggest you get a bike, but not a new one. Looking back on 27 years of riding, the most "fun" bikes were the ugliest bikes. An ugly bike, is something you can ride as you like, with no regrets on getting it muddy, bent, or scraped.

To this day I cannot understand how anyone can own a shiny new dirtbike, whilst struggling to keep the dirt and the bike separate. As mentioned by others already, it'll meet the ground or a tree, you'll get up grinning, but the bike won't be "new" anymore.

Something for $500 - $2000 for the bike, and the rest on a scope. Best of both worlds really. If you really need the bike to look good, hit it with a few spraycans. Did this with my previous ZXR750. Looked ok from a distance - a real "Monet"
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ZXR750_H1.jpg)
207.2 KB37 views
Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I have scopes and a road motorcycle. I derive pleasure from both, and would not like to choose! I have been road riding for many years, and dirk biking since a kid. I’ve come off plenty of times on the dirt, but never on the road. The key to the latter is to always anticipate the behaviour of ‘cagers’...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:00 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

You'll be seeing limited most nights anyway, and although a 16" alluna is definitely something to aspire too, there are plenty of scopes that will perform as well without the big bucks. And don't forget Peter has a lifetime of processing and tuning experience that lets him extract the potential from the instrument as well. Valentino Rossi, Toby Price, or whoever your two wheeled idol might be didn't just step onto a motoGP bike or go and win the Paris Dakar straight up!
Do both. Here's my solution - my girls are helping me restore this old R80g/s, which will be an exact replica of Gaston Rahier's 1985 Paris Dakar winning bike. Then we're going to load it up with tripods, trackers, DSLRS and make the most of the dark skies out in the desert. For the price of the Alluna you could do this, and also have an automated, high-quality setup running back at home while you enjoy the bike...
Rubber side down!
Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_DSC4233_small.jpg)
183.4 KB45 views
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 AM
inline_online (Dan)

This reminds me of a dilemma I faced back in about 1995 when I got into astronomy. I had purchased my first scope and was considering another one. I was also right into mountain biking.
My plan was to ask the bank for a $3000 loan to fund the purchase of either the new MTB or the Meade Starfinder 10".
I sought lots of advice from family and friends and without fail...they all said get the MTB. You'll use it more and have more fun with it.
But the astro bug had already taken hold and wasn't ready to let go. So I got the Meade 10" and never looked back. The same bank manager gave me $12K the following yr for a Tak FS-128.
My father told me years later that it appeared I had made the right decision as astronomy has been a major part of my life ever since

Get the scope
Old 05-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Been a rider 20 years all on the road, Bike first image later. You will always suffer the what ifs if you didn't
Just use common sense on the road and always be aware of your surroundings, remember ride like everyone else is trying to kill you.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:13 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

A motorcycle will get you from A to B, but a telescope will take you everywhere.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

As I sit, here fully aware of the arthritis I have that's concentrated around all the broken bones that were incurred as a result of several impacts with cars driven by idiots... I'd say, go the scope!

I'm also seeing an awful lot of "slice and dice" road dividers around these days. Hit one of them at any serious speed and you can kiss your leg goodbye...

If you have kids... NO Bike. That's what finally stopped me. Risk is too great and I just had to think about what it would mean for them if I did not come home.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:20 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
The key to the latter is to always anticipate the behaviour of ‘cagers’...
... which is quite impossible. I got nailed TWICE doing everything right. I finally realised you can't look in both directions simultaneously, and 25 years later, there are more "cagers", they are angrier and they are less competent than ever.