Old 29-07-2023, 07:47 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Hi Alex,

I've been a bit quiet in your thread for a bit, dealing with minor health issues myself (runaway heart rate in particular, probably thyroid) and caring for my partner (she's had a knee replacement). Nothing in your league though.

Anyway, if the tracks are out of parallel now, most likely cause, not having seen things, is frame shift- just my guess.

If you can't shift the tracks slightly that's a bummer.

I've also been watching your journey in this project as it looks like my big dome observatory will have to give way to something smaller not far off, and a ROR seems to be in the offing.

So, take heart in thinking that, if nothing else, you can serve as a bad example for others!

Take care, mate!

Neville
LSO
Old 29-07-2023, 10:14 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelySpoon View Post
I've been a bit quiet in your thread for a bit, dealing with minor health issues myself (runaway heart rate in particular, probably thyroid)
Hi Neville,
Also get checked for your magnesium levels as that can be a factor too.

Best
JA
Old 30-07-2023, 08:17 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Neville,
Also get checked for your magnesium levels as that can be a factor too.

Best
JA
Thanks JA,
Dr had a full blood scan done, still awaiting results. Given how slack I can be about personal diet care, it's also on the cards!

Neville
LSO
Old 16-08-2023, 10:28 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You guys make me feel great and lucky that I am so healthy and fit...

I take 10 tablets a day...besides the cancer specific meds they sneaked in magnesium and calcium cause they think I dont have the sense to manage things..good because they are right..but once I would get raised eye brows from medics when I said I took no pills..you could see them thinking.."that's unusual for such an old bloke"...

I moved the 80 mm outside to a new spot but the mount is having a hissy fit that has taken the shine off things I must say...but the real problem is I have nothing to grab and so I risk a fall..when I get it all working it wont be a problem as the wifi signal is good in the van so it does not need ethernet cable...I put the wheel chair beside it so as to have a seat but twice I have got my feet tangled up with the foot rests and nearly came a gutza..then there is the fact that the pavers sit on gravel way above the ground...but talk about good luck as to where I placed the thing, without knowing at the time, right where the extention lead from the van to the electric shed has a join ..a 240 supply via the sheds inverter, so I broke in and I have power..what luck cause I was thinking move down a battery and inverter etc..thank goodness..just plain good luck.

But as inside the observatory now has only the three scopes set up this leaves one end clear..on one side I put a very nice but unwanted rug with a flash office chair and a little desk thingy that will take a lap top but I place my phone and tablet there..if I ever resolve the roof issuses the piers is still there under the rug..but it is really comfortable in that chair and with the rug noticeably warmer...on the other side I have a desk which provides a work area with a little office chair there as well...that side is still a mess but soon as things are sorted it will become tidy as well as functional.

I have the inverter and battery to manage the roof motor here but the Ethernet magic box is a little further away on a similar desk type thing that also is handy to place the phone or tablet.

I have some painting to do and more tidy up and when I get that finished I will post photos of the finished product.

Looking back over this thread reminds me of all that I have gone thru..it doesn't seem possible I put up with it ...I don't know that having a " never give up" approach is all that smart...anyways I have got a couple of decent images and it sure is easier with just one scope outta there...I had not expected the boon of the extra space as to comfort.

Thanks for following my progress.

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG20230809170455_resize_15.jpg)
202.6 KB56 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 16-08-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 17-08-2023, 07:34 AM
LonelySpoon (Neville)

Alex,
There is an old military adage that "the winner is usually the side that doesn't give up first".

You're definitely in there for the win!

My issues are tiny compared to what you've surmounted, you're a goliath when it comes to hanging in there and working though rough times.

It's nice to have plenty of space at the pointy end. Less things to bump into or trip over, for a start!

Cheers,

Neville
LSO
Old 17-08-2023, 04:52 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
You certainly have come a long way since your operation , multiple trips to hospital and ongoing treatment , you always face and overcome difficulties with a positive outlook.
Your observatory with all its Astro set ups and equipment is a testament to your hard work , determination and passion for our wonderful hobby.
May you enjoy every minute under pristine dark skies up there at Tabby

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Obs once you finish all the bits and bobs.

Best always
Martin
Old 18-08-2023, 01:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Neville you are far too kind but I sure appreciate your encouragement.

AND I must say looking around the observatory brings back memories of the effort ...mind you I was very lucky to have help from my assistant as that moved things along faster..in fact without his help to get the show back on the road after my opperation it would have been much more difficult.

AND I am very lucky that I had a life where each day was a huge challenge as really winning has to be learnt via repeated experience.

AND there are the little things....every time I look at the floor I remember how I had to lay on my stomach to nail it down and just how painful it was..but a little here and there and it got done..sadly the whole set up is a bit ruff by my standards but perhaps the best thing I have been able to overcome is my perfectionist attitude...once I just could not live with some of the things I have had to do by way of compromise so as to get the job done....once if I made the slightest mistake on a job I would throw it out and start again...but my condition has taught me that achieving a result is paramount and if the thing works you win and that appearances count for little if they control your life.

But isnt astronomy great for the perfectionist needing to learn how to compromise

You know it seems like I have been thru a lot but I always remember that what I have gone thru is nothing compared to others and really I am very lucky in that my pain is manageable...sure the feet could make me cry at times when I try and walk but all I need do is sit down and instant relief ( not like that back pain where it was constant and you could not move) and my driving is not effected in the least so I still get to drive my little sports car...it is so funny cause folk look when I roll up in my little red car with the top down car and I struggle to get out and waddle off with my walking stick not what they expect...

I always just think about Steven Hawking and his limitations..he would be so happy to have it as good as I have it.

And thanks Martin for your kind post and I will put up some photos very soon.

alex