Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 29-05-2012, 04:43 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Protecting camera gear in the field (or in the Kimberley's :))

Hi guys

Starting to think about final preparations before heading out to the Kimberley's in a bit over 3 weeks.

What can I use to keep the camera dry if it starts to rain? Some sort of dry sack or something?

A waterproof bag might be handy if it starts to rain but it's not something I can put over the camera.

Also trying to work out if I have enough cards, batteries, disk space (!) etc.
Old 29-05-2012, 05:50 PM
CDKPhil
Phil Liebelt

Hi Mike
Something like these rain covers might be what you are looking for.

http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/kata...ers-c-264.html

Cheers

Phil
Old 30-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Phil Hart

I second what Phil said.

You can get cheap, almost disposable rain covers or more sturdy but expensive ones.

If you're setting up timelapse at night and don't want to get up at 3am if the weather changes, they're great!

Phil
Old 30-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Your camera and lenses are sturdier than you think! I've had mine out under 160 metres of falling water, snow and rain. No drama. But, I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.

Disk space is the problem child. Although, taking a form factor 1- or 2-TB USB-powered external drive should be a no-brainer!

H
Old 30-05-2012, 04:59 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Your camera and lenses are sturdier than you think! I've had mine out under 160 metres of falling water, snow and rain. No drama. But, I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry.

Disk space is the problem child. Although, taking a form factor 1- or 2-TB USB-powered external drive should be a no-brainer!

H
Nonetheless, I know of someone who drowned their 5D Mk11 in the rain up in the Kimberlys recently.

DT
Old 30-05-2012, 05:06 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Bugger! Sounds like a cover wouldn't have saved it anyway?

H
Old 30-05-2012, 05:21 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Yeh I've got a 1TB usb-powered external drive. Might need another as it's already half-full as a backup drive.

Thanks for the link for that Kata rain cover. I'll try and find a E 702 in the city somewhere. I found a few places that have it cheaper, just trying to find one local so I don't need to get it posted.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:27 AM
naskies (Dave)

Speaking of rain covers, I believe that most Canon L lenses (e.g. 17-40) need a UV filter screwed on the front for the weather sealing to be complete.
Old 30-05-2012, 08:51 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Bugger! Sounds like a cover wouldn't have saved it anyway?

H
It was a Canon H - need I say more?

DT
Old 30-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Yes, you do need to say more!

After 5 trips to New Zealand and having been in all sorts of weather and terrain, my cameras have survived. As mentioned repeatedly, I've been under waterfalls and mist and spray and the thing just works even after I've been soaked from head to toe. It has got pretty badly wet but continued to work as intended.

Admittedly, the 5D series are nothing like the 1- series in terms of shock- and weather-proofing, but, they can take quite a battering. I'm not saying I would pour a bucket of water over it or submerge it, as that's asking for trouble!

H
Old 30-05-2012, 07:21 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
Yes, you do need to say more!

After 5 trips to New Zealand and having been in all sorts of weather and terrain, my cameras have survived. As mentioned repeatedly, I've been under waterfalls and mist and spray and the thing just works even after I've been soaked from head to toe. It has got pretty badly wet but continued to work as intended.

Admittedly, the 5D series are nothing like the 1- series in terms of shock- and weather-proofing, but, they can take quite a battering. I'm not saying I would pour a bucket of water over it or submerge it, as that's asking for trouble!

H
Oh H, I'm only having a go at you - you just take the bait so well!!

DT
Old 30-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Oh, man. I was browsing at work with images disabled -- I didn't see your smiley.

I take back everything.

H
Old 30-05-2012, 07:35 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Mike, the odds on rain in the Kimberly at this time of year are really long. Broome hadn't had any rain for a over a month and wasn't expecting any till October. A spray from a waterfall or dropping it in water is much more likely.
Old 30-05-2012, 07:52 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I haven't looked at the forecasts or typical averages for this time of year yet.

I'm guessing it will hot during the day and cold at night. Will there be any clouds?

I got a $40 'one' rain cover from DDP today.. along with some new CF cards, a new card reader, and picked up my 17-40 lens
Old 30-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Exfso (Peter)

It is their dry season now, your chances of rain are quite slim I would suggest, maybe some dew at night, but I would reckon that would be the limit of the moisture.
Old 30-05-2012, 09:49 PM
mercedes_sl1970

Hi - thought I might chip in on, rather than rain, keeping an eye on dust. The fine red sand in the centre and out west can sometimes cause problems (but I imagine your camera should be well enough sealed). Learning from my own experience from some years ago, I'd pack a good hand blower and maybe blow off dust at the beginning or end of shooting.

Sounds like a fabulous trip.

Andrew
Old 31-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Deeno
“We are star-stuff”

I wouldn't be too paranoid. A little common sense goes a long way. Things like where you swap batteries, cards, lenses and the like.

The DSLR has done thousands of k's in a good quality backpack on a bike and has been used during storms, put up with dust, sand, mud without any complaints. Have just been careful when opening it up when swapping lenses and such.

But, then again it is a Nikon.....