ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Neil

Space Elevator

Japanese construction giant Obayashi announced today plans to have a Space Elevator up and running by 2050.They are claiming it will be cheaper and safer that the conventional rockets used today.They are quoting $200 per kilo compared to $22,000 per kilo. We would travel in "cars" that would hold about 30 people and take a week to get there, to there space station, a possible stepping stone to further space tourism to the Moon and beyond.This will change Earth's economy dramatically and bring us closer to a future we have to have.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:53 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Sounds good in theory, let's hope it leads to something real.
Strange that they want to build it to 96000kms surely a GEO altitude would be more practical and more useful...?
Old 22-09-2014, 09:00 PM
doppler (Rick)

The space elevator is an old theory but no one has come up with material to make a cable that won't break under its own weight that will reach into space.
Rick
Old 22-09-2014, 09:05 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
The space elevator is an old theory but no one has come up with material to make a cable that won't break under its own weight that will reach into space.
Rick
That's the point of this recent article, the company says they've come up with some material using carbon nanotubes that will be strong enough... not that I believe them though...
Old 22-09-2014, 09:43 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I am trying to think this through. I assume that such an elevator would need to be built at the Equator to have the assistance of a rotating Earth. To build it the South Pole for example, there would be no rotation, so no velocity (compared to Earth) associated with the payload, regardless of it being lifted almost 100,000 kms, the payload would fall back to Earth.

However, at the Equator, as the Elevator rises, would there not be a severe torque affect, where the initial rotational velocity of the object would fall behind that of the Elevator as it rises, so simply lifting from above would be insufficient to raise a payload into an orbit? In effect, the payload needs to be have help in lifting its horizontal velocity, not just its vertical height.

I hope this makes sense. I don't claim to be an engineer, but the notion of an elevator seems initially intriguing, but a best, appears to need much more refining.
Old 22-09-2014, 10:00 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

At an altitude lower than geostationary orbit altitude, ~36000 kms, a craft on the elevator will be travelling slower than the velocity needed for a circular orbit and therefore would fall back to Earth if it let go of the elevator below a certain height (probably about ~15000kms, just a guess).

If it let go above that height but below ~36000kms it would be in orbit with its apoapsis at the point where it let go and its periapsis at an altitude somewhere between the surface of the Earth and the altitude where it let go.

A craft on the elevator above ~36000kms would be travelling faster than the velocity needed for a circular orbit so if it 'let go' of the elevator it would find itself in an orbit with the periapsis at the point where it let go and an apoapsis higher than that, depending on how high, and therefore how fast, it was.
Old 22-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Starlite (John)

Have you read this novel...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (P9220209.JPG)
87.2 KB35 views
Old 22-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Snap! Was about to mention that book by Arthur C Clarke! Great read, way ahead of his time, as always
Old 22-09-2014, 10:25 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
Have you read this novel...
I haven't read that, it's on my list!
I have read a few of Clarke's books though, great stuff. I always assumed he came up with the idea of the space elevator anyway.

I seem to recall a space elevator in one of Asimov's books too...? but I could be confusing that with a different author - probably Clarke
Old 22-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Starlite (John)

How safe will it be with all the space junk up there !!!
Old 22-09-2014, 10:50 PM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

I recall reading a series of three novels, "Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars" which used a space elevator to a geostationary satellite. I can't remember the author, could have been a Robinson, but it was about the colonisation of mars by replacing the atmosphere.
Old 22-09-2014, 10:54 PM
GraemeT (Graeme)
Learning fast

Found it thanks to Google. Author was Kim Stanley Robinson and was a good read.
Old 22-09-2014, 11:06 PM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Quote:
This will change Earth's economy dramatically
???? Maybe put a Maccas drivethrough at the end for aliens??
That will solve the economy.

Andrew
Old 23-09-2014, 08:14 AM
archioptic (Nathan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto View Post
That's the point of this recent article, the company says they've come up with some material using carbon nanotubes that will be strong enough... not that I believe them though...
From what I understand they don't yet have the technology to create carbon nanotubes long enough for this project, they just hope they will by 2030. Saying things and doing things are completely different, but I hope they succeed.
Old 23-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

It also would need to be built in space and slowly lowered down. Thats a lot of material to lift into space by conventional means first.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:44 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

There is an excellent technical review of the space elevator and related concepts (e.g. tether/slingshot) in Zubrin's (Ed) "Islands in the Sky". (An excellent compilation of articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islands...lonizing_Space)

Apart from the materials issues mentioned above, the biggest problem is the required width of the tether at ground level -- it MUST taper as it rises (even using nanotube windings).
Old 23-09-2014, 11:01 AM
PeterEde (Peter)
Prince Planet

I would think at the poles would be better. If built at the equator the mass of any object moving up is going to have a massive effect the higher it goes. While at the pole there would be rotational movement but little linear movement to cause drag.
thinking like a helicopter towing a flag. It lags behind due to forward motion. A mass moving up a tower is going to cause the same problem
Old 23-09-2014, 11:11 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Hudson: We're on an express elevator to hell; going down! (Aliens)

Fascinating idea, but the issues with space junk, meteorites, atmospheric weather, engineering etc etc are surely going to take a LOT to overcome.

Better idea - can we make a "dew shield" for a telescope so large as to pierce the atmosphere completely and see as the Hubble does? Same principle...only issue would be the terminal diameter so as not to vignette (and taper all the way back to the objective). Or, make an ULTRA LONG focal length scope

Sadly, it seems something like this may end up being the fantasy it currently is. We were "promised" to land man on Mars when I was a teenager. I am middle aged now and all we have still is essentially billion dollar remote control buggies there. I hope we at least put man/woman on Mars before I float through the universe in an aethereal way
Old 23-09-2014, 06:24 PM
raymo

We were going to have 45 minute flights from Heathrow to Sydney by
around 2020; never heard any more about that either.
raymo
Old 23-09-2014, 06:31 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I remember the BAe HOTOL spaceliner.... as well as Boeings version, the Japanese version...

Priorities change. With computers doing most of our communicating, business deals etc these days, I guess there really is no urgency for Sydney to London in 3/4 of an hour any more.