Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Adox (Adriano)

Amazing position available as astronomer at Ayers Rock Resorts

I am working here in Uluru for the past few weeks as astronomer for the tours organized by our astronomy department. We are looking for another full timer that will work with us.A degree in not required but only a genuine passion for astronomy and an astronomy knowledge to reply questions from guests. Here there is the job advertisment: http://www.seek.com.au/Job/28442952/?cid=
Send me a message if you want any other information and good luck.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:36 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Doesn't enumerate salary.
I'd expect it to at least give a ball park figure
Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM
leon

Very interesting however:
Very difficult to apply on line, every time one logs in it tells me it is not correct, when I know it is.

Leon
Old 08-04-2015, 05:07 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

The website where you apply online is borked.
What is the salary package?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Doesn't enumerate salary.
I'd expect it to at least give a ball park figure
Yeah, I'd like to know how much I have to pay.

Cheers -
Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

You do get your own uniform and subsidised accommodation….what more do you want???? A fair day/nights pay for a fair/days night pay….forget it….and you probably have to provide your own instruments of the night…..
sounds like one born every minute to me….Tony and his kind love this kind of thing.
I won't be applying.

Now where is the thumbs down ikon????

Matt
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I have met people who have done this job and they loved it ! If you love astronomy, enjoy telling stories & public astronomy, it would be fantastic ! As for the pay, anything in tourism is usually a moderate wage, but what a great lifestyle.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
You get to spend your nights doing astronomy in the centre of Oz, talking astro to eager listeners, clothes, food, discounts and you guys want to be paid as well ............
Times have really changed .........
I think the ones truly interested will apply first and worry about remuneration later.........
I hired many many people in my lifetime, usually those that wanted the job but did not ask how much it paid got picked first.
if this is real what you are saying................ you are the reason why unions were invented!
pat
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 PM
PCH (Paul)

Not asking about the pay has long been promoted as the way to go at an interview.

That's all twaddle imo.

Speaking practically, isn't the pay pretty much THE single most important thing you need to know?

Unless you're some sort of highly paid fat cat and you know the salary range is going to be megabucks to megabucks+, you need to know what the pay is!

What freakin' point is there pussy-footing around avoiding the subject, pretending the job's right for you and you're right for the job, only to find out after one or two interviews during which you've built up your hopes, that the job doesn't pay enough for you to meet your outgoings?

What a waste of time that was!

Quote:
You get to spend your nights doing astronomy in the centre of Oz, talking astro to eager listeners, clothes, food, discounts and you guys want to be paid as well ............
Times have really changed .........
I think the ones truly interested will apply first and worry about remuneration later.........
I hired many many people in my lifetime, usually those that wanted the job but did not ask how much it paid got picked first.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 PM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT
You do get your own uniform and subsidised accommodation.what more do you want???? A fair day/nights pay for a fair/days night pay.forget it.and you probably have to provide your own instruments of the night..
sounds like one born every minute to me.Tony and his kind love this kind of thing.
I won't be applying.

Now where is the thumbs down ikon????

Matt
I assume that this is probably related to the Sound of Silence dinner that the resort has on offer. Touch the Silence seems to be an umbrella marketing campaign.

Anyway... I commented on the dinner here and can tell you that it would be good to have some people who know astronomy at a deeper level than the offering they had back then...

From memory, the resort had three SCT's on piers, all with wedges. I'd probably assume the job is real, but given the "light dusting" of Astronomy at the dinner, I would not expect much in the way of pay...

OIC!

BTW: The thumbs-down icon is at the bottom of the dialog box when you create a post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Post Icons.jpg)
20.4 KB27 views
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Most jobs you'd apply for would fit to some normal payscale for that industry\skill and that is what you'd expect to be offered without it being mentioned in the advert.
A similar role over here at Mt John last year offered University payscales, actual numbers were not printed but you knew what to expect.

If I was in a similar situation over here with no indication but an interesting role on the table I'd be at least enquiring about the job. Easy enough to say 'no thanks' after an interview or discussion. Worse to find out later that it was a good offer and you didn't even give it a chance. A flight up to Uluru (at their expense of course) would be worth the effort for an interview if it came to that.

( I didn't apply for the Mt John position for other reasons btw )

With the current job situation in Aust as it seems to be I thought I'd be seeing someone from IIS checking it out at least. Depends on your personal circumstances of course. I'd imagine you'd have a lot of time to just stargaze in probably one of the darker places in Australia. Bit isolated though.
Pros, cons ...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:17 AM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:

Unions indeed Pat ........ lets leave all that out of IIS
ha ha, and slave labour matt............... you forgot about slave labour!

hmmmmm............... and call me an "old traditionalist" matt but i would have thought getting paid enough to make ends meet would be of a fairly high priority, "planet matty" would be a very strange place methinks!
pat
Old 09-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Not everything is about money IMO. Being happy in your job is an important factor.

Obviously it has to fit your personal circumstances. I'd jump at it if it was a little closer to Sydney
Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 AM
blink138 (Pat)

sorry adriano, no further comment.
pat
Old 09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Man , if this had popped up a year ago I would have jumped in head first , what a great job , but sadly as said previously ' circumstances change ' and there is no way I could do this now , I only hope someone from IIS gets this job and keeps us all informed as to how it goes .

And as Dunk say's its not all about the money .

ps. I have observed from the Rock , and its so dark there the constilations are very hard to pick out as they are swamped by thousands of other stars seen , horizon to horizon in a full 360 degree circle , just awesome .

Brian.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 PM
IanT
Ian

Regardless of the great views, awesome equipment and wonderful opportunities to learn, the fact is that without a salary, this position is not a job. Maybe there is a salary? It's hard to know - but the advertisement is not upfront about renumeration. Volunteer work for scientific institutions, not for profit organisations, NGO concerns and community groups is usually good fun and very worthwhile. Doing the same for a profit making hospitality industry venture is entirely different. By all means volunteer if you have the means or desperately want the experience (getting to know Uluru and it's traditional owners is worthwhile regardless of the night skies). However, do not insult the concept of a fair day's work for a fair day's pay.
Ian
Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Salary?

How much is the salary thanks? Question is for the original poster.

Cheers,

Damien
Old 12-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

OP has been very silent. Salary please
Old 13-04-2015, 10:02 AM
deanm (Dean)

And, as of today (Monday), the ad has been removed.
According to Seek, they are supposed to be posted for 30 days...
Dean
Old 13-04-2015, 10:58 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

If you can't save some money for yourself, most jobs are slavery. You get paid to pay for food, bills and accommodation. And in most cases you have to drive to your job in peak hours. Life is not funny.
I am not sure, but I think that if I wasn't a beginner and if I didn't fear the cold nights there, I could have given it a go, but I am really not sure.