Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Katoomba Airfield, Feb. 22, and a special visitor!

Hi folks,

Yes, before anyone says anything, I do know that Feb. 22 is a Sunday. There's a reason for this. Our IIS friend, MattT, asked me if this date could be made available for using the Airfield as he will be in Sydney that week, and will be bringing his monster refractor AND that Gaunt mount! Sunday 22nd is the only time available to him to make it to the Airfield, and he really wants to give his beast a work out.

I do understand the time restrictions this puts on people. I too need to go to work the following day, . So I hope you are able to come if only for a few hours.

I've been corresponding with Matt for a weeks over this since he sprung this visit on me. His biggest challenge has been to fit the scope and mount in his car! So, if you see a little Suzuki Mightyboy chuffing up the highway, with its undercarriage dragging on the road, kicking up a fury of sparks, that'll be Matt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sparks flying.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	177258

I am hoping for a clear night for this visit of Matt's. Might be another IISer from Canberra coming up for this too. Can't wait to see Matt's beautiful creation.

This session is not only about Matt! It is also about viewing the stars. If you haven't been to the Airfield before, you are most welcome to join us.

Access to the Airfield is via Medlow Bath, the next village after Katoomba heading west. At Medlow Bath's only set of traffic lights turn into Station Pde, and then turn left into Rutland. Rutland is also known as Grand Canyon Drive. The Airfield is 4km from this intersection with the last 3km being unsealed. Being unsealed it can experience erosion that can create nasty ruts in the road surface, so take it easy.

The Airfield is totally BYO power, food, drinks, etc. Loos are available for kids and ladies. There are sofas in the office building we can get some kip in too. The office building also has a combustion heater that becomes the centre of the universe during winter. There is also no actual finish time. It is up to you when you've had enough or need to head home. But we are welcome to stay overnight if we like.

This is an informal gathering. We all share the cost of a gift to Rod of his preferred brew. The hat gets passed around for this.

These get togethers are a great chance to ask questions if you are new to astronomy. Folks who come up bring a wide variety of instruments and gear, and their interests vary just as widely from visual through to imaging (and even sketching... ). The Airfield's elevation at 1000m also makes it not only one of the highest observing sites close to Sydney, but also its elevation makes a big impact in reducing the influence of Sydney's light pollution,

Heading to the Airfield

Note that some natsav systems call this site "Katoomba Airport", and won't show Katoomba Airfield.

On entering the Airfield's gates, keep to the left hand track - there is no access to the observing field using the other two tracks. Drive past the "no entry" sign and turn right up the hill past the various buildings. The setup slab is on the left once you reach the main runway.

The first pic below shows the route to the Airfield coming from Katoomba. The second pic shows the way to the observing slab on the main runway.

If you have a telescope, bring it along! If all you have are binoculars, brilliant! Bring them! Binos are a fantastic astronomy tool. I always bring my pair. If you don't have a scope, no problem either, we like to share the views through ours.

See you soon,

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (route to Katoomba Airfield.jpg)
146.5 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (katoomba airfield.jpg)
203.1 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (Katoomba Airfield 20-9-14 (1).JPG)
97.5 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Katoomba Airfield 20-9-14 (2).JPG)
108.5 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (397.jpg)
131.8 KB60 views
Old 06-02-2015, 12:01 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Great. I'd love to have a look through a big 'frac.

Although the scope and mount will probably take up half the slab!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:19 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Very good Alex

The scope and mount will be on the roof racks...105 amp battery will be stabilising balast in the car....Suzuki Mightyboy!!! Sparks....you bet.

Only thing that will stop me is a bad weather forecast.....SUNSHINE and STARLIGHT SYDNEY PLEASE

This is what I'm bringing up...so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4247.jpg)
168.8 KB83 views

Last edited by MattT; 06-02-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Spelling,,,nearly as bad as my sense of direction
Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Damn, I'd love to see that!

Unfortunately, I have to make do with lying on the calm beach of Boracay, trying to reacquaint myself with some of the northern constellations...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

Katoomba airfield.

alex, and Co.

I will try and make it up this time as i have mentioned it many times i would but hopefully this time i may come up..

I'll bring something that will baffle everyone in the astro world... I little portable mount that can take a camera and a scope to do wide field and astrophotography aswell.. should make people smile i hope..

Anyway hope to see you all on the 22nd looking forward to seeing this monster refractor too aswell...

Nebulator
Old 07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Hello everyone,

I'm newbie on this forum (and here 'straya as well) and would like to get in touch with folks of astronomy. Is this event open to anyone?

Thanks!

Edward
Old 07-02-2015, 07:47 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Yep, open to everyone

to IIS Edward
Old 07-02-2015, 08:06 PM
basketcase07 (Edward)

Thats great then! What time would you be there?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Looking forward to this. Its been a while.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:39 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

I'll be looking to get there by 7pm. But depends a little on Matt if he would like me there earlier as I'm sure he will need a good amount of time to set up his rig in daylight. If you do get there before anyone else (leaving Matt & myself apart), please announce yourself to Rod the Airfield manager - it's his place and there are expensive aircraft kept there. Just let him know you are there for the astro night and you'll make a friend instantly! wonder around, or worse still drive all over the runways without permission, and things could get ugly,
Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Aussierob2001 (Rob)

Newbie needing help/advice/instruction for old bloke -)))

Hi all.

I have just moved to Katoomba and love it!!!

I'm in my 50ies and hoping to semi retire.

I have been gifted a large scope but I have no clue.. It has built in gps and auto tracking and later pointer..

Is there anywhere up in the mountains I can learn some basics and to understand enough to use the scope.?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Cheers. Rob 0400500542
Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Hi Rob,

to IIS mate,

You are welcome to join us at the Airfield on the 22nd. Come an hour or so before sunset and I'm sure people there would be only too happy to help you.

There is another mob that goes up to the Blue Mountains for observing, the Western Sydney Amateur Astronomy Group:

http://wsaag.org/

They do their dark sky viewing from Linden Observatory, and they will be up there on the 21st I'm sure. They too will most certainly be only too happy to help you out. They are a friendly mob I've had the pleasure of meeting, . If you do end up going to Linden Obs on the 21st, you can then continue thrashing your new scope on the 22nd,

Alex.

Last edited by mental4astro; 10-02-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:05 AM
Aussierob2001 (Rob)

Sounds like a plan

Hi Alex.
thank you for your reply.
sounds like a good plan.
I'll contact Western Sydney in the morning and have a chat with them.
C U on the 22nd
Cheers
Rob🍻🍻🍻
Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 AM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

i prefer sunday

i prefer sunday
I think i will be finally coming for the first time on sunday
Old 13-02-2015, 01:04 AM
godina06 (Tom)

It sounds exciting :)

OMG it sounds exciting! I would love to join too

Tom
Old 13-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Nebulator2570 (Gabriel)

airfield.

Hi all

Rob if your going to linden there is a $5 donation for the site as a non-member of wsaag.. Also they have general monthly meetings every 3rd wednesday of the month down at UWS kingswood..
Check out there website http://www.wsaag.com.. They have contact numbers there.
The site use to be free but things have change as i am understanding with people turning up..There is a 32" scope they use now and then and the Observatory built by Ken Beames..

Anyway The sky are darker at katoomba than linden, with the city glow from linden is a bit awkward looking east or south, Wont have much problem at katoomba,

Anyway looking forward to seeing you all at the airfield for sure... Ill have a special something to show all for portability in astrophotography which should have some jaws dropping i guess..

Nebulator
Old 13-02-2015, 11:08 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)

Looking forward to seeing your creation, Gabriel

The Airfield sits at just over 1000m, making it one of the higher sites that is readily available for astro and still close to Sydney to allow for a drive home at night. The elevation puts us above much of the dense atmosphere that carries light pollution.

As there is no agricultural land here, the top of this plateau is quite dry and I can't remember the last time I saw dew up here when the sky has been clear. The runway also offers a huge clear aspect of the sky.

Don't forget, we also share the cost of the slab we gift to the Airfield manager to show our gratitude for access to the place
Old 13-02-2015, 08:51 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

No dew…fantastic …so I can leave the dew straps at home then? Don't have room for them anyway…I just hope it's clear

I'll be visiting Gary Kopff of Argo Navis fame for a fitting of the Gaunt with his creation…Argo Navis, while I'm in Sydney….so excited about that. This mount can take the final leap from the 19th Century to the 21st...

Is Canberra at 1000m too? I remember the clear and freezing nights there way back in the late 70's….in Winter of course.
Matt

Last edited by MattT; 14-02-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 13-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Is Canberra at 1000m too? I remember the clear and freezing nights there way back in the late 70's….in Winter of course.
So do I... no Canberra is only nominally 500-650 m depending on where you are. It's cold at night because of the distance inland from the sea.

Might see y'all there with a little luck

Last edited by Wavytone; 13-02-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 15-02-2015, 10:48 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

I'll be there.