ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-08-2016, 04:12 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

NBN has arrived!

We've just been advised that NBN is available....
They say we have to switch to a new contract with our (or new) provider to use the NBN.
How the devil do you chose????
(Just checked our speeds Upload 0.8Mps, Download 18Mps on a Telstra Broadband connection
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/speedtest/
Can this/ does this get any faster with NBN????)
Old 23-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Well Ken, depending on how far from the nearest node you are, you can get up to 100Mbps.

I think the general rule is that for every 100m distant you are, you lose around 7-10% of max. So, if you are 400m away, you would be asked to pay for, in this example, a 100Mbps connection. Because of your distance, you would expect to achieve at best, about 70Mbps.

This is why FTTdP is a much better idea. Taking the fibre to the pit near your house allows for basically maximum speed. FTTN doesn't, unless you have a dirty big green metal node box on your front lawn.
Old 23-08-2016, 09:16 PM
h0ughy (David)

well my normal is 6.39Mbps down and 0.88Mbps up.

the NBN for the fibre to the node is suppose to guarantee max 25mbps down and 5mbps up on copper. the fibre direct connection is up to 100mbps download. the standard plans 12mbps are less than what you are getting now.
The good news is that you no longer have a choice as you are now officially in the first 18 months of having to move over - after that they can shut of the ADSL so like it or not you will be forced to move over to the NBN. I have been dealing with the NBN rollout in my local area for the past 5 years

with the rollout in Newcastle the only direct fibre is in new subdivisions or in mayfield. the rest of the area is FTTN. now for those flush with cash you can at some considerable cost get fibre to your home from the green box to get 100MBPS (average cost was over $8k extra installation costs) so like shane said if you have a green box out the front you could save a bit .
Old 23-08-2016, 10:30 PM
doppler (Rick)

I have ASDL2 but am lucky to get 1.5mbs down and .2mbs up. The phone doesn't work and the copper wire to the house needs to be replaced. I was putting this of in case I could wrangle fiber to the house but that is seeming very unlikely.

All we have down the road is one of these. Is this where they will put a node?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (telstra.bmp)
56.8 KB36 views
Old 23-08-2016, 11:41 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler View Post
I have ASDL2 but am lucky to get 1.5mbs down and .2mbs up. The phone doesn't work and the copper wire to the house needs to be replaced. I was putting this of in case I could wrangle fiber to the house but that is seeming very unlikely.

The node will be a green box as tall as that and will be placed quite close.

We got FTTN just recently and signed up with the 25/5 plan. The best we get
Is 20Mbps up and 4 down. That speed is fine and does everything we need, whereas on the old adsl it used to virtually stop at peak times.

You have to change across sooner or later, and the plans offered by the various companies are pretty much all the same.

I changed across from Telstra to iiNet and seriously wished I had stayed with Telstra. I wouldn't recommend iiNet at all for what it's worth.

Other than that, the new faster service is fantastic!
Old 24-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

We were getting about 3-4 mbps with ADSL2 (Telstra $69 plan)(phone line rental an extra $49)

I went with DODO 12/1 plan ($29 plus $10 for unlimited free phone calls plan)
on a 24 month contract.
I currently get an average of 11.2 download and 0.9 upload.
and free calls.
A total saving $79 per month with faster speed.
It is only FTTN. And the green box is 200m down the road.
Old 24-08-2016, 11:57 AM
deanm (Dean)

Alan: snap!

I'm on NBN via Dodo:11.2 down 0.95 up.

I can see the NBN tower about 1.2 km away.

Dean
Old 24-08-2016, 03:38 PM
acropolite (Phil)

FTTN is good as long as you're close to the node, I have FTTN 450metres from the node and get 25/5' unfortunately as my ISP is iiNet, the download speed drops below 5mb/s at peak times no fault of the FTTN, merely insufficient bandwidth on the carrier side. I ran some tests last saturday and while streaming 4K video to the TV I was still able to run a speed test at 15mb/s. I've seen reports of 100mb/s connections for FTTN closer to the node, I seem to recall seeing a line connect speed on the iiNet provided router of 86mb/s so I guess that's what I could expect if Opting for the fastest service. FTTN is a bit of a mongrel if you want to BYO modem/router, Most of the ISP's have customised routers which aren't available as retail items, if your Modem/Router is configured incorrectly for line protocols, NBN co will block the service, you then have to get the ISP to have it unblocked.
Old 24-08-2016, 05:23 PM
h0ughy (David)

ok i have carefully selected some of the information (so i don't get into legal trouble)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sample1.jpg)
195.1 KB65 views
Click for full-size image (sample2.jpg)
191.7 KB62 views
Old 24-08-2016, 05:43 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:

within 20metres of one of those - they install the cabinet, twin type 6 pits and type5 for electricity connection. the nodes have a 4 battery backup system to guarantee some service when the power goes off but don't expect that to last more than an hour or so
Old 24-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Exfso (Peter)

FTTN is their way of doing it supposedly on the cheap I believe, in actual fact from what I can tell it is costing more to roll out than fibre to the premises, I stand to be corrected on this though.
Old 24-08-2016, 08:11 PM
doppler (Rick)

So at the moment Telstra owns the copper to my house and have to repair it free of charge if there are any faults, but what happens after the Nbn is connected with another supplier?
Should I push for my copper to be fixed (replaced) now before the Nbn comes. They are doing the trenching and fixing conduits now.
Old 25-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

After the NBN was installed at our place a month or so ago, I had the strange problem that I could receive emails in Outlook but not send them. Telstra/NBN thought it was strange because the mail settings hadn't changed.

I finally fixed the problem by going into the email account settings, clicking on Advanced options, then clicking on the box that said to make the outgoing server the same as the incoming one. Beats my why that worked, since at the non-advanced initial screen, the ingoing and outgoing were set exactly the same in the first place.

The NBN has been good - I immediately switched Netflix from Standard Definition to High Definition.
Regards,
Renato
Old 25-08-2016, 01:47 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
After the NBN was installed at our place a month or so ago, I had the strange problem that I could receive emails in Outlook but not send them. Telstra/NBN thought it was strange because the mail settings hadn't changed.

I finally fixed the problem by going into the email account settings, clicking on Advanced options, then clicking on the box that said to make the outgoing server the same as the incoming one. Beats my why that worked, since at the non-advanced initial screen, the ingoing and outgoing were set exactly the same in the first place.

The NBN has been good - I immediately switched Netflix from Standard Definition to High Definition.
Regards,
Renato
How do you switch netflix to HD Renato?
Old 25-08-2016, 02:40 PM
drylander (Peter)

Quote:
So at the moment Telstra owns the copper to my house and have to repair it free of charge if there are any faults, but what happens after the Nbn is connected with another supplier?
Should I push for my copper to be fixed (replaced) now before the Nbn comes. They are doing the trenching and fixing conduits now.
I don't think Tel$tra will upgrade the copper as once NBN is installed the copper network is going to be disconnected after a certain date (not heard yet) Once we were connected to NBN I contacted my isp (internode) and finally got rid of Tel$ta and haven't looked back
Pete
Old 25-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Also, the scuttlebutt is that as a second round (in the year 5555, if Man is still alive), the fibre will be extended to the Distribution Point, which means that only the last 10-20 metres of copper will exist to the home after that.

That will be the end of the nodes, too.
Old 25-08-2016, 03:21 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Our NBN just got switched on last night (Braddon ACT), full optic fibre all the way into my spare room wardrobe . My wife only signed us up to a modest 25down/5up plan with Telstra and tests show that's indeed what we are getting. For a little bit extra we can up these speeds of course but given it's just the two of us at home with low to moderate internet use, we will wait and see

Have to say, when I was sitting in my lounge room watching the NBN guys wire us up last week, it was incredible to think that real optic fibre was being pulled through my ceiling, kind of like science fiction really...sad that so few Australians will have this now but oh well, can't say that many of us didn't try.... When the day comes (and it will) that we need much higher speeds, we should be right

Mike

Last edited by strongmanmike; 25-08-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 25-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
How do you switch netflix to HD Renato?
You just go into your Netflix account on your computer, go to your Profile, then to Playback Settings and click on High (and best take off Auto-play, in case you fall asleep watching it and use 3Gbytes an hour).

You have to be the $12 plan to get HD - the one that enables you to access Netflix on two units simultaneously. You can't update to HD on the base plan that only allows you to watch it on one unit.
Regards,
Renato
Old 25-08-2016, 05:03 PM
acropolite (Phil)

The finger has been pointed at Netflix download for making the net so slow (despite the NBN), but I can understand why people are using it, I'll probably be signing up for the 4K streaming option and doing my bit to bring the net to a crawl......
Old 25-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

It all comes down to what your provider spends on backhaul. The less they spend, they more backed-up the data pipe gets, especially at peak times.

This is where the budget providers are generally found to be wanting.