Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 20-03-2015, 10:36 AM
glend (Glen)

Everyone needs an Observatory because...

After two glorious all night sessions imaging from my new observatory I am kicking myself for not building it sooner. No more: lugging out and back the mount head, and trying to polar align yet again, standing around with cold feet in wet grass, or sitting on a wet chair, or trying to find a way to cover up equipment and batteries, or trecking back into the house looking for something I forgot to carry out. The absolute luxury of having carpet underfoot, sitting in a comfortable chair at my workstation in my slippers sipping a drink, while my equipment does it thing is truely rewarding. And being able to go back inside and go to sleep, safe in the knowledge that your system will look after the run, when you need some rest. Why did I wait so long? It didn't cost much (cheaper than any boat I ever owned) and takes up about the same space. If you own your land most observatories would be "exempt developments" under NSW planning rules (no council approval required). Now if I could just move it out to a darker site I would be in heaven, or the heavens.

Last edited by glend; 20-03-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Glen, you're living my dream. But I'm in the process of building one now (actually, getting someone to build it for/with me). Fortunately, I live in a dark site, so I can have a backyard observatory AND a great location. Oooooh, I can't wait. Just a few more months of lugging, then I'm in AP heaven.
Old 20-03-2015, 11:28 AM
jenchris (Jennifer)

I must agree, the ease of wandering down to the Obsy and undoing a clip, sliding back the roof with one hand and flicking two switches and turning on the camera is smile inducing.
It far outweighs the horror of trying to lift an NEQ6 head onto a tripod without chipping the paint or trying to juggle the weights and OTA's without trapping fingers or dropping them.
Old 20-03-2015, 01:09 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I'm underway with getting my observatory setup and I can't wait. I keep missing out on nights because I just don't have enough time to set everything up, go through the process and then take it all down again. I'm looking forward to being able to just go out, open up and go for it.

So, I can well understand your post Glen.
Old 20-03-2015, 02:34 PM
scagman (John)

Couldn't agree more Glen. Makes life so much better. Got mine operational mid last year, its not finished yet and probably wont be for a while, but it works.

Cheers
Old 20-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Dealy (Kev)
straight to the Pool Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman View Post
Couldn't agree more Glen. Makes life so much better. Got mine operational mid last year, its not finished yet and probably wont be for a while, but it works.
Yep, me too. Mine is 95% finished but 100% operational.

Less than 10 minutes to get going, 3 minutes to pack up. What a luxury.

I'm a very happy boy.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Am with you all the way. After selling one place in which I had an observatory and moving into town it eventually got the better of me so I moved out of town again and built another observatory. This time I'm staying put.
Old 22-03-2015, 12:36 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagman View Post

Cheers
Lucky devil Glen...well done.

Hi John....bet there are lots of rules in VIctoria???? Or is it like a shed with a size limit.

Matt
Old 22-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Glen, you're living my dream.
I second that. Sadly, I'm in a period of transition and have to stick with the portable gear but I hope one day in the not too distant future I'll have a more permanent set up in place.
Old 22-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Bah, huntsmen are harmless. You should be glad of the company
Old 23-03-2015, 11:50 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
A huntsman, with a set of legs about the diameter of a large pizza looked back at me from the top of the monitor........

This hobby is not fun any more since that night.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
Bah, huntsmen are harmless. You should be glad of the company
I'm with Steve I have killed 9 huntsmen spiders of various sizes now since moving into the new observatory out at Wallaroo in August last year, I know I should catch and release and I normally would but it is just too hard to do in a dark shed full of shelves, scopes and storage gear, can't risk it running out of sight and behind something. So far none have appeared in the dome though which sits up on an elevated deck, only the adjacent admin/accommodation shed which sits on the ground Had a dead rabbit Friday night though, could smell something funny all night..wasn't till I was packing up the visual scope that I noticed a dark lump at the side of the admin shed....luckily I have a shovel and woosh, swung it over the trees 20m away ...stinky..

I know they are essentially harmless but Huntsmen spiders creep me out , sorry...

But yes, having an observatory is pure bliss Glen
Old 23-03-2015, 04:52 PM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
Then, my eyes focused on movement about 2 inched from my face, which was still a few inches above the monitor.
A huntsman, with a set of legs about the diameter of a large pizza looked back at me from the top of the monitor........

This hobby is not fun any more since that night.......
It's nice to be reminded that there are some good reasons to live in New Zealand...
Old 23-03-2015, 10:59 PM
sharpiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
I'm with Steve I have killed 9 huntsmen spiders of various sizes now since moving into the new observatory out at Wallaroo in August last year, I know I should catch and release and I normally would but it is just too hard to do in a dark shed full of shelves, scopes and storage gear, can't risk it running out of sight and behind something. So far none have appeared in the dome though which sits up on an elevated deck, only the adjacent admin/accommodation shed which sits on the ground Had a dead rabbit Friday night though, could smell something funny all night..wasn't till I was packing up the visual scope that I noticed a dark lump at the side of the admin shed....luckily I have a shovel and woosh, swung it over the trees 20m away ...stinky..

I know they are essentially harmless but Huntsmen spiders creep me out , sorry...

But yes, having an observatory is pure bliss Glen
Wussy...
Old 24-03-2015, 02:41 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpiel View Post
Wussy...
Yeah I guess, oh well...wuss it is
Old 24-03-2015, 06:01 AM
SteveInNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPO View Post
It's nice to be reminded that there are some good reasons to live in New Zealand...
We have them here. The Avondale spider is a Huntsman with a Kiwi accent. They make you jump just as much when they run out of the newspaper and up your arm.

Steve.
Old 24-03-2015, 07:12 AM
BPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInNZ View Post
We have them here. The Avondale spider is a Huntsman with a Kiwi accent. They make you jump just as much when they run out of the newspaper and up your arm.
Must be a North Island thing...

Old 24-03-2015, 08:12 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:

Steve.
The Avondale Spider is a sook, harmless, nonpoisonous. It's just a big scary hairy set of legs. At least that's what I tell myself. <slight shudder of Arachnaphobia>.
Haven't come across one yet in my Ob and we're only about 3 km from their ancestral home, Avondale. (Where are you Steve ? 4 km it says)

But have to agree with the absolute bliss of having an Ob in the back yard. I've done quick runs on solar, lunar or planetary which would never have happened otherwise and it's wee night time retreat for some peace and contemplation.
Old 24-03-2015, 11:35 AM
SteveInNZ

We're on the Avondale/Blockhouse Bay border but nobody told the spider that they shouldn't cross the road.

The wife is convinced that we need an observatory so stage 1 is completed.

Steve.
Old 24-03-2015, 12:05 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
The wife is convinced that we need an observatory so stage 1 is completed.
What a woman!
Old 24-03-2015, 02:30 PM
spinnaker

TWO Avondale's were discovered in my step-daughters bedroom a few months back. My ears are still ringing from the screams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroID View Post
The Avondale Spider is a sook, harmless, nonpoisonous. It's just a big scary hairy set of legs. At least that's what I tell myself. <slight shudder of Arachnaphobia>.
Haven't come across one yet in my Ob and we're only about 3 km from their ancestral home, Avondale. (Where are you Steve ? 4 km it says)

But have to agree with the absolute bliss of having an Ob in the back yard. I've done quick runs on solar, lunar or planetary which would never have happened otherwise and it's wee night time retreat for some peace and contemplation.