Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Visionary (David)

Vivitar

I have just purchased some 2" Vivitar Filters. They were on special on EBay (flea bay) for $4.50 US each. Vivitar is a very interesting optics manufacture. These filters are "new" though about 15 years old. The filters were specified for astronomic use. Vivitar produced some stunning lenses in their time. I have the 52-205 lens that I also purchased on flea bay, a beautiful lens.
When I have the 2" filters in my hot-grubby-hands I will post a review. My guess is that those these filters will not be in the league of Badder etc: for an enthusiastic newbie they may present solid value.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:17 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Interesting. I've used a number of Vivitar lens over the years and they have always done quite well. What specific filters have you ordered ?
Old 25-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Visionary (David)

Brent,
The filters arrived today and they are objects of beauty! The level of finish is staggering, the artwork is all late 60's. It is as though the filters have been in a time warp. They are 100% perfect in every way, they are remarkable! I will post images today. I haven't looked up with them as yet but I have a very strong feeling these in addition to my Baader filters will become my goto filters.
The filters make brilliant collection pieces for anyone who can remember the 60's and the space race. I have already placed another order!
Cheers
David
Old 26-03-2015, 10:24 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Searched FleaBay and not found specifically what you have described. A few 49mm individual filters which I assume are 2" equivalents. Did you buy as a filter set or just specific ones?
Do you intend to use them on a DSLR for astro or in and EP situation as a filter for astrophotograhy.
I have been experimenting with C80A as a LP reducer with some success mounted in a 2" barlow body.
What specific filters did you order ?
Do you want to share a direct link ?
Old 26-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Visionary (David)

Below I have placed a couple of images of the filters. I will track down the adress and pass it on asap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
159.0 KB15 views