Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy

Old 31-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Observation Report Howell's Knob 29th Dec 2019

Astronomy observation report Sunday Night 29th Dec 2019 Howell’s Knob Look Out by Wes Smith

The prospect of a good nights viewing, I didn’t think possible with Skippy Sky predicting high broken cloud. I was excited with the prospect of a whole night dedicated to astrophotography(AP). My scope “Zamar” is a 20” Dobsonian usually used for visual observations so a whole night of AP would be somewhat of a novelty in a dark sky. I have recently commissioned (from home with Bortle 5 skies) an Autoguider to the Servocat with PHD showing a bullseye target of RMS accuracy values under 2 arc seconds. A repeat was not to be.
My friend along for the adventure was David. His most recent purchase included a SC11 with an autoguider and an expensive band spanking new ZWO 1 colour shot cooled camera. To say that we had high expectations was an understatement!
I know there will be detractors saying this is not a place to talk about Astrophotography but just wait and read on.
I got to Howells Knob around 5:30pm with David rolling up at 6. There was a Dad and 2 kids camped in a van on the other side of the shelter. On seeing me roll the mirror box out he exclaimed “What the heck is that”. A quick explanation ensued.
As we set up the high-level Cirrus cloud gave us a spectacular sunset with a red sky from Horizon to Horizon. Looking South we had views of Mt Beerwah and Mt Coonowrin. Perched at 561M we were literally looking down on them. It’s the highest point in the Blackall Range with views to the North including the Pacific Ocean, Mt Coolum, Mt Cooroy and Mt Pomona. To the South the glass house mountains Bribie Island and Moreton Island.It’s a lovely view that we were just pleased to partake in.
We quickly realised that the Lookout’s name was appropriately named. Unfortunately, the wind was Howling from the East. I was hoping it would let up. I positioned the 4wd to aid as a wind break but that was not enough. Despite it not letting up Dave went through the motions of connecting up his scope with a myriad of cables, computer, etc etc and polar aligned. It didn’t go smoothly but he eventually got there being his first outing with the new rig. Unlike myself he didn’t forget any hardware! Meanwhile stars were popping in and out with the brighter denizens holding up rather well through a thin veil of cloud. I achieved 2-star alignment then noticed that there were rather large sections of sky that were clear and inviting me to commit to some AP. That bit of the kit you don’t remember putting your hands on … well this time round it was the T Ring to connect the Camera, so I quickly turned my pursuits to visual. First order of business was to remove the light shroud/sail .. from the tube assembly so that wind vibration was kept to a minimum.
I saw that despite the windy conditions the atmosphere was exceptionally stable with seeing around 8 to 9!! And transparency around the same higher up. 6 +++ stars in the Trapezium easily seen.
A list of the usual objects observed with a few surprises thrown in follows.
I started with adding another to the Herschel Galaxy challenge that Ron Knight had tasked me with. NGC427 At Mag 14 in Sculptor appears to be faint edge on faint spiral galaxy in the 12mm Nagler (Nag). AV with 2 stars visible of which . GSCII S0011212-1001 at mag 14.5 close to the core and just below the long axis of the galaxy. At 1 x 0.6arc minutes this was not a large object. I initially mistook the core of the galaxy as star. This faint city of stars appeared to boxed with by 4 stars with unequal sides unevenly spaced about 4 arc minutes distant. At 470 million Light years away it’s receding at 3.4% light speed. It tuns out, this a face on spiral with the arms not being visible.
M41 is a Large Open Cluster (OC) not far from Sirius with the 20mm Nag.
Around this time, I unwound the inch and ¼ extension from the 12mm and had go at the (OC). There was a naturally larger field of view (FOV) but with the scope at F5 the coma on the edge of field was bad and unacceptable.
With the 12mm Nag now a 24mm effective EP, I handed it to David who then tried it in his SC11 F10 scope .The view was stunning. No coma. A beautiful view of the Great Orion nebula was had.
Back to Sirius using the 12mm Nag at 211 x Magnitude (mag) We had a look at the Pup . It’s still there 😊 teased out of the glare from Sirius.
M42 Plenty said about the Great Orion Neb. Pink and maroon hues in the arms observed with extended nebula stretching beyond the FOV of the 35mm Panoptic.
The Running Man Nebula with the chubby little fellow clearly visible.
Flame Nebula keeping Alnitak out of the FOV really helped.
M43 and the Trapezium with a couple dozen faint to very faint stars within the nebula.
M50 Another OC with a wide variant of star magnitudes with several curved arms.
M78 The brightest reflection nebula in the sky. The Bent Banana dark nebula was clearly seen sandwiched between the 2 reflection nebula.
May be due to David’s Computer screen and the flapping red gel from the wind I was not able to positively identify the Horse head although the very faint line of IC434 was just seen with AV.
Cloud was intermittent with the full sky coverage at times.
NGC 253 was not worth the effort as it was only just seen through high cloud
Turning North I spied a gap in Auriga and with the 35mm Panoptic got a WOW from David from M37 Large OC
As the night wore on Puppis & Canis Major got higher and it was time to view one of my many favourite summer Open clusters with a bonus. I slewed to M46 and told David to look for something a little different. He got NGC 2438 PN straight away using the 20mm Nag. I then back the mag off with the 35MM Pan to attempt viewing the whole star cluster. We then slid up to M47 observing it's curved arms. While in the area we bagged OC NGC 2423.
The cloud was staying longer, and I noticed Cumulous clouds appearing on the coast out to the East. By this time, it was getting to 1:00am so when the Southern Cross appeared from the cloud and Eta Carina appeared above my memory drifted back to the First Annual SDM star party held at Coolah NSW earlier in the year. The stunning view through Peter Robin’s Televue Bino-viewers of the Homunculus and seeing the bipolar jet and 2 dark nebulae in the larger lobe, I wondered if a repeat performance was possible. I started with the 35mm Pan to get the widest possible view in. David’s response on climbing the ladder was one of awe and wonder. He noted the Key hole nebula and the tiny Homunculus. Before pumping the mag up, I slewed to NGC 3324,the Gabriela Mistral nebula complex. A lovely arc of gas was clearly seen within an extended halo of nebulosity. A small hop to the gem cluster NGC3293 is mandatory. Back to the Homunculus ,I slid the 6mm Radian in but at 423x mag, even though I had ditched the scope cover the movement from the wind was not acceptable . I backed off the mag 282 x with the 9mm Nag and what I saw dropped my jaw. Not only were the 2 dark nebula areas in the larger lobe and the bipolar jet rock steady but a darker area off set from the main axis adjacent to the bipolar jet in the smaller lobe was visible. I was stuck to the eyepiece. This was the best view even though through one eye, I had ever seen of this celestial wonder. David and I swapped out several times confirming the observation. I feel this needs to happen when making large and potentially extravagant observational claims.
It was an amazing and gratifying end to an unforgettable observing session.
Cheers Wes
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SC11 ZamarMtBeerwah.jpg)
198.4 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (Zamar Howells Knob.jpg)
185.2 KB45 views
Old 31-12-2019, 12:32 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Fabulous report Wes. One almost feels part of the action. Thanks for sharing.
Old 31-12-2019, 01:36 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

A great report and a great observing spot. Pity about the clouds.
Old 31-12-2019, 10:23 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Wes & All,

Enjoyed your report mate. Will put NGC 427 on the list to-do sometime soon. Was a tad surprised a galaxy that bright and well south has thus far escaped me. The NGC 439 group is also less than a half-degree north-east and is surrounded by a cluster of seven faint galaxies.

Also about a half-degree SE is another grouping of galaxies around ESO 352-27 that looks interesting and a few of the brighter ones show evidence of interaction. It is only about half the distance to NGC 427 going by red-shift.

Best,

L.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

Very enjoyable report Wes. Some great targets, and the site sounds very interesting too.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:42 PM
davesokolich (Dave)

Fantastic report Wes. I have viewed Gods skies more than a dozen times with your scope. This time was special. Expectations were zero due to the weather outlook. The Key hole nebula and the tiny Homunculus was unbelievably clear. Never seen such detail before. Was like seeing it for the first time.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Thanks Wes, a thoroughly engaging report & as stated, felt almost as if I were there....

Helps me remember what I'm missing out on.. between surgeons restrictions & wet season clouds not any astro up this way...

Hopeful in a month or so when my restrictions are lifted (fingers crossed) there might be the odd gap in the clouds to get some viewing in at least..

Until then, I'll just have to enjoy being regailed with others exploits...