Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 AM
orestis

M42 sketch and observations

hi everyone,
Yesterday night was nice and clear, only the stars were twinkling which wasn't that bad.
My brother was also with me and looking at different objects and helping me sketch M42.

conditions:3/5
equipment:5 inch reflector eq2 mount + plossl ep's+sketch pad and pencils

M42- As my eyes gradually adapted i started to see the 2 great arms which were like a fountain coming out of the trapezium cluster and went out of my fov in my 10mm ep (90x mag).There was also a membrane of gas in between the trapezium and the end of the right arm and a little on the left.
Also there was a dust patch a little below the trapezium.I found that the sketching brought out more detail as i was observing.

After about an hour we finished the sketch .i wanted to show my brother some of my favorite objects and so i did.
We saw the tarantula which was excellent with its amazing tendrils,then 47 tuc which was very cool.
While i was looking south i noticed a tight grouping of stars about 15 degrees lower than Canopus which was gob smacking.So many stars.great open cluster.Does anyone know what open cluster it might of been?
We saw M31 and the pleides which were cool but couldn't fit into view.wish i had a wide field ep to see it in all is glory.
I wanted to do a sketch of Ngc 55 but it was about 10pm and wanted to go sleep.
It was a Majestic night which i will never forget.

Thank you to anyone patient enough to read my observations and to look at my sketch

Orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (great orion nebulav.bmp)
192.1 KB94 views
Old 12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

terrific to see some sketching, well done orestis
Old 12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Mystery Cluster?

Hi Orestis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
While i was looking south i noticed a tight grouping of stars about 15 degrees lower than Canopus which was gob smacking.So many stars.great open cluster.Does anyone know what open cluster it might of been?
Congratulations on the sketch -- very good. Sketching is an excellent way to sharpen your observing skils and you do see more that way because it forces you to look for detail.

I have attached a .pdf of a map made from Megastar that shows the area to the north around to southeast of Canopus. Please note, rather than being oriented N up and W to the right as per convention, I have oriented it so that it will be roughly at the same angle if you face a little south of east and hold the map in front of you so N is upper left and W is upper right.

Not easy to say whch cluster you saw, because at about the 15 degree mark from Canopus, in an arc from N to ESE is a huge swathe of clusters and nebulae. I guess the leading contenders would be NGC 2516 whch is unfortunately unmarked on this map but beside the bright star Avior (Epsilon Carinae) -- one of the members of the "false cross" asterism.

Other leading candidates include IC 2391, NGC 2546, NGC 2477, NGC 2451 & Cr 135. All are bright, well resolved open clusters and are at the 15-20 degree distance from Canopus.

Why not find it again tonight and then compare to the map and let us know which one it was?

Thanks for your report!

Best,

Les D
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Orestis.pdf (59.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

I enjoyed your report and loved your sketch.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 PM
orestis

hi all,

I am very glad that you liked my sketch and report.

dannat-Yes i don't see much sketching happening lately(maybe its cloudy)

ngcles - looks clear now,hope it holds through the night.I will definitely let you know about this amazing open cluster and also i have to have a look at Blanco 1 as you suggested about a month or two ago in another thread of mine.Also i'll try and sketch it even though i might get lost in all the stars.

jjj-Thank you very much on your kind words

clear skies for all!
orestis
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 PM
spacezebra (Petra)
Lost in Namibia

Yes, I agree - great report and sketch.

Cheers Petra d.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:14 AM
orestis

found cluster name

hi everyone,

ngcles- i had a look yesterday and found that it was Ngc 2516.had some difficultly finding blanco 1.will try and sketch it tonight as i was extremely tired yesterday.will upload as soon as i finish it.hope your enjoying clear skies out your way.

regards, orestis

ps-thanks petra d.
Old 13-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks for your report and sketch orestis. I liked both very much.