Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Nightscapes
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-01-2018, 08:22 PM
JeffKnight

What is this object?

We were photographing from our back garden in Perth when we noticed an interesting object in the sky. This is our first time photographing the sky so we are learning many things! Does anyone know what it might be? It is just above the moon, slightly to the right. It looks like comet, though only lasted a few minutes and was not visible with the naked eye. The photo was taken around 2130lt towards the West.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (GreenObject_Fotor.jpg)
200.1 KB164 views
Old 23-01-2018, 08:41 PM
GOTO (Geoff)

Hi Jeff,
I'm pretty sure that would be an internal reflection in the lens caused by the very bright and overexposed Moon. It does look like a comet but sadly no imho.
Cheers
Geoff
Old 24-01-2018, 06:37 PM
phomer (Paul)

I agree, given the position it is an internal reflection. I can't see why it would have disappeared unless you removed the Moon from the next shot.
Old 25-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Did you notice the object in the sky before you photographed it or did you notice it in the photograph you took? If you noticed it before you took a shot, it could be the small vapour trail of a high flying aircraft reflecting sunlight. Being just after sunset it would have been lit by the sun despite a darkening sky. If you noticed it only in the shot after you took it, then yes, I agree with the previous posts, it will most probably be internal lens/ filter reflections.
Old 25-01-2018, 08:07 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

I recall a shot I took of a full moon at cooberPedy with the same illusion of a greenish smear above the bright moon. I was initially quite amazed at the image but figured after all it must be some kind of lens reflection that caused it- not sure but hey we are entitled to imagine what if scenarios hehehe.

Nice shot
Anth