Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 04-04-2020, 12:10 PM
glend (Glen)

SpaceX Starship SN3 Destroyed during Cryo Pressure Test

Last night SpaceX conducted a Cryo Pressure Test on the fuel tanks of its version three prototype Starship. The previous version, SN2, was destroyed in a Cryo Pressure Test a couple of months ago. The goal of these tests is to achieve sustained cryogenic fuel pressures of 8.5 bar, the benchmark NASA uses for human space flight certification. The pressure required for this design for launch and flight is 6.5 bar but of course they have to meet the safety standard of 8.5 bar. The previous SN2 ship attained the pressure required but blew out where the engines would normally be attached, an area called the thrust puck. In this latest design, SN3, there was a new thrust puck area, and large hydraulic rams to simulate engine thrust pressure on the lower assembly. That lower area seems to have survived this last test, but the upper tank bulkhead or a valve in that area failed. Elon is claiming that there was a test procedure mistake, but they will need to do a post mortem on the remains before anything concrete can be fixed. You can see the failure here:

https://youtu.be/wFXQ5SRCy74

Note that the crumbling of the structure is caused by the sudden pressure wave generated when the liquid nitrogen is suddenly released at the top, there is no explosion.

It is not unusual for prototype designs to be tested to the point of destruction to provide design feedback, and demonstrate absolute limits. It could be that SN3 failed past the certification pressure point, but we don't have those details yet. In any case I bet Elon is pissed, as it throws his schedule for a 20km demonstration flight, out the window. And achieving orbital flight of this prototype this year is looking doubtful.

Last edited by glend; 04-04-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:13 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

It's getting habit forming.
Is that two or three now?.
I think he is too big for his boots and rushing
for a date he cannot make.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:38 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks Glen for the detailed report
Apollo Saturn 5 had issues with all their tanks too , in particular the size, type and gauge of material, welding techniques , venting and pressure control and many other issues. Took them 6 months to sort it out on the ground and 2 unmanned flights ( Apollo 4 and 5 to prove their reliability )
Starship is a completely different vehicle to Saturn 5 and one would assume more complicated in design , manufacturing and construction
They will eventually sort it out at the expense of time and money ( we all hope )
Old 04-04-2020, 11:52 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
It's getting habit forming.
I think he is too big for his boots ...
hmm

Revolutionised electric car production, Tesla
Revolutionised rocket flight, space X, re-useable rockets
Revolutionised batteries, provision of reliable house scale and networkscale

Without him as someone for other companies to try and catch there would be hardly any electric vehicles, rocket launches would still cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

I think that is an extremely small minded comment.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:37 AM
glend (Glen)

The thing about Elon is that he operates in view of the world. Other rocket development usually takes place in secret, and it does have test failures as well, often kept quiet.
SpaceX at Boca Chica Texas has teams of Utube videographers camped on its boundary recording everything 24×7. This is open development in that sense.
Sure SpaceX has bought up all the homes around the site, but these enterprising locals did not give up. One, who goes by the title, LabPadre, (Padre Island you see), has erected a 30 foot camera tower, and stuck a 4K 36X zoom camera up top, to provide continuous coverage. He has no shortwge of Utube subscribers, willing to donate cash, to keep up to the minute with Starship development.
Elon may find it annoying that folks pour over every little detail in the Chat line, but it is publicity, and that is good for his business.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:33 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
The thing about Elon is that he operates in view of the world. Other rocket development usually takes place in secret, and it does have test failures as well, often kept quiet.
SpaceX at Boca Chica Texas has teams of Utube videographers camped on its boundary recording everything 24×7. This is open development in that sense.
Sure SpaceX has bought up all the homes around the site, but these enterprising locals did not give up. One, who goes by the title, LabPadre, (Padre Island you see), has erected a 30 foot camera tower, and stuck a 4K 36X zoom camera up top, to provide continuous coverage. He has no shortwge of Utube subscribers, willing to donate cash, to keep up to the minute with Starship development.
Elon may find it annoying that folks pour over every little detail in the Chat line, but it is publicity, and that is good for his business.
I agree. I am amazed that he is actually trying to do it. He may get money from his space x launches; and good luck to him. Please remember he is not spending Nasa money on what he is trying to do with starship, it's his money; and good luck to him.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:45 AM
Zuts

And i would like to add. Compare SLS from Boeing and NASA. Has the world ever seen rocket development using an agile itererative methodology. His engineers must love him! If you were 25 and working on Starship that would have to be a dream job. Think about the standups, retrospectives and sprint planning they must be organising (why did it fail, what can we try next, how can we improve...), very very exciting if you were lucky enough to work there.

And, I am trying to say it's not all about Elon, it's about the people who work for him. If it succeeds it will be his vision (guidance and money) and their hard work.

It's his project and he is allowed to set his own goals!

But, I am a bit disapointed that his stainless steel Starship has visible welding lines and bumps in it... , but then I am happy with my ute and that has plenty of bumps and scratches.

Last edited by Zuts; 05-04-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:25 AM
Kev11 (Kevin)

His money? Consumers and shareholders'. At least he is spending some of it usefully unlike some multi-billionaires who are spending creditors money too.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:18 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev11 View Post
His money? Consumers and shareholders'. At least he is spending some of it usefully unlike some multi-billionaires who are spending creditors money too.
SpaceX is a private company. It is his money mostly, it is rumoured that there are a few minor private investors. He may take it public one day but why would he?