Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

Eyepieces

Ok, I am getting ready in the very near future, since it will be my birthday, to buy a skywatcher 10" goto dob. As you all will know, it will come with the 10mm and 25mm plossl eyepieces. I have searched various topics about eyepieces and what is best and their associated prices. Since I will be just starting out and don't want to be blowing any budgets or wasted money just yet, could I possibly please have some suggestions on perhaps what might be at least 1, maybe 2 decent "budget" eyepieces that might compliment the standard ones and the 10" itself, just to get me started with some half decent views.

Last edited by highlander2287; 05-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Hi Brett,
You have a great telescope there , I have the Skywatcher 12” Goto and absolutely love it
Before you choose eye pieces a couple of basic things to be aware of -
1/ Are you observing from a dark site or light polluted city / suburban area ( skyglow or light pollution will limit your ability to observe at higher magnifications on certain objects ) Eyepiece filters are available to “assist” in reducing the effect of light pollution
2/ Are you interested in observing all celestial objects in the night sky including moon, planets , galaxies , Nebula and star clusters etc ...( you will eventually need a range of eye pieces for observing all objects in the night sky , not just 1 or 2 eye pieces )
3/ Will you be observing wearing glasses or not ( if you wear glasses then eye pieces with a longer eye relief will be required) An eye relief of 15mm to 20mm is usually adequate
4/ If you wear glasses , do you suffer from Astigmatism in either or both eyes ( You cannot correct Astigmatism using your telescopes focuser. Your focuser can correct short or long sightedness. Televue make an eye piece accessory called dioptrix to correct Astigmatism)

I won’t talk about brands, type or the quality of eye pieces as all my eye pieces are Televue premium high level performance eye pieces which I have purchased progressively over 4 years and may not be a viable option for some observers

I hope others chime in with more technical and practical information on eye pieces

Enjoy your Skywatcher 10” scope !!

Cheers
Old 04-04-2020, 04:56 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Brett,

Martin has provided good points to ask yourself.

If I was starting again the Explorer Scientific 82 degree is what I would recommend.

You can spend alot of eyepieces as your are aware, my eyepieces are Televue primarily as well.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:18 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

I will be viewing from an outer west suburban suburb in the newcastle area, at this early stage from my front or rear yards.

I need to wear glasses at night when reading only, but essentially do not require glasses.
I endeavour to look at as much as the scope will let me, such as the moon, planets, nebulas etc.
On top of the cost of the scope there are the accessories I am looking at, barlow, collimator tool, shroud, t-adaptor/ring (even though not the best scope for it) and also considering a right angled finder.
So adding these costs onto the price of the scope I was hoping not to outlay too much at this stage on too many eyepieces.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Brett
Sounds like you would under Bortle 6 or 7 skies in outer suburban Newcastle
which is medium level light pollution
The main thing is to try and avoid any street lighting and neighbours outdoor lights washing across or hitting the end of your OTA. I have used a small tarp to shadow the scope when I use my old 10” dob in Sydney. My 12” Goto is in dark skies so no problem with stray light
Also great news you don’t suffer from Astigmatism, the focuser will correct your vision to get pinpoint stars
My advice is to eventually swap your standard straight through finder scope to an Orion 9x50 right angled illuminated reticle finder. They are worth the investment especially when your doing a star alignment , so much easier , quicker and more accurate when centering your stars. I also use an Orion 20mm 70deg illuminated reticle eye piece for star alignment which compliments the finder scope. My alignment method ( 2 star alignment ) is so accurate , the scope navigates across the sky with objects ending up well within the FOV and sometimes centered
As far as eye pieces go, I’d stick with your 10mm and 25mm Plössl for the moment until you gain some observing skills and then when you can afford it , buy some eye pieces with a wider apparent field of view ( say up to 68 degrees ) If at some stage down the track you want to use ( and can afford ) premium high end quality eye pieces I can steer you in the right direction with Televue
A laser Collimator and a Cheshire is a must as well. I use Orion brand for both. I check collimation every time I use the scope , it only takes 5 minutes, some people don’t bother
Hope the above is useful information
Cheers
Old 05-04-2020, 05:51 PM
highlander2287 (Brett)

Yes Martin, some very useful information, thank you. I was considering a right angled finder but not illuminated, so might have to look at that option. Thanks again.