Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2020, 05:07 PM
leon

Refresh Your Computer Without Affecting Your Files, How True is This

Hi guys, I know I said I would not annoy you anymore with this computer wow's of mine.

Well I lied.

Just one question please, if i refresh my computer without affecting my files, what dose that actually mean.

Do I lose programs or dose everything just stays where it is

I have discovered that I have some missing files when 8.1 was installed and the refresh procedure has asked for the installation disc to find these files when it refreshes the computer.

So It looks like this might be the way to go

Thanks in advance.

Leon
Old 03-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Leon,

Apart from the 'refresh your computer' option which, I am unsure of how it will affect installed programs, does it give you an option to 'Repair' Windows installation?

If you are missing some critical files from the Windows install I remember in past versions it used to give 3 options

(a) clean install = lose everything & start again
(b) reinstall & retain files = lose all your installed programs but, retain all your data files (ie: word documents, xcel spreadsheets, etc...
(c) repair installation = looked for any missing/corrupted files & reinstalled only those files that were bung or missing..

If option c is available still, that might be the best way to go initially to see if it fixes your problems..

Cheers
Old 03-04-2020, 07:07 PM
leon

Yes, Carlton although I did not see that option that would be the way to go, I will see if i can come up with it.

Leon
Old 03-04-2020, 10:42 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Leon,
AFAIK & remember, when you boot from the installation disk, it should give you the option to "REPAIR"...without removing any of your programs/files.

It just looks at all the Windows Files & fixes any that are corrupted or missing-in-action.

Be sure to remove any external drives & do NOT have any USB/Flash drives
plugged in.

You just need your "C" drive.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:08 AM
Exfso (Peter)

If it were me, seriously time to bite the bullet, do a complete upgrade to Windows 10, windows 8 is really the beta version of windows 10. I held out going with Windows 10 until 7 was no longer a viable option, and I have had driver issues, but once they have been fixed, reluctantly I must agree that it appears to be pretty stable. I would not touch 8 with a barge pole that is for sure. Leon you need to seriously consider doing this as you are going to tear out what is left of your hair and give yourself a stroke mate. Stop trying to fix it yourself and take it to a reputable tech and start from scratch.
In the long run I reckon you will be much better off. Oh and if you do decide, make sure it is the Pro version, just my 10c worth on this of course.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:13 AM
leon

Thanks people for your suggestions.

Peter< thanks mate, I know you are right, as i was awake early this morning and laying there thinking about this bloody computer and thinking of any more ways to fix it that i haven't even thought of

I then thought, I am 70 years old and don't need this crap, I just want to open up my machine and enjoy what i do with it without all these hassles.

I probably will go up that path as you suggested and others here as well.

In this current virus situation it might be a bit hard to actually go to a place of repair and get it sorted, so i ask this, could one order and pay on line for a new drive with all the necessary things loaded and have it posted back and I would just slot it into the desktop.

Or do they need the whole machine to be able to do this.

Oh and by the way I have a full crop of hair which grows like a weed and the risk of stroke/heart attack is minimal, as i was given a 15 year warranty after triple bypass surgery some six months ago and feel great i might add

Thanks Leon
Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Leon, as far as getting repaired, you would probably find out it is cheaper to get a brand new unit eg Dell, HP, Lenovo etc with all you want and a good warranty for what it would cost to do the technician, rebuild route. Generally techs charge quite a bit. If it were me, I reckon that would be the way to go at least you would have a warranty if anything did go wrong. I have a mate who is a tech and he builds all my computers with full warranty and he does not overcharge, maybe because he is a mate! He generally says that a complete renewal is the way to go and not to fart around with old bits and pieces. You don't have to go to rogues like Hardly Normal either, there are some good online places eg Shopping Express, Mwave just to name two. This mob (https://www.megabuy.com.au/)have both new and 2nd hand computers, not dealt with them, but looking at their site it looks to have a pretty good range of computers, both pre-owned and new.

Anyway, it definitely warrants some thinking about to save your sanity.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:15 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
could one order and pay on line for a new drive with all the necessary things loaded and have it posted back and I would just slot it into the desktop. Or do they need the whole machine to be able to do this.

I reckon apart from licensing issues that even if this could be done it would end up probably not be much cheaper than a whole new computer.
In the washup trying to do things half baked usually end up costing more in the long run.