Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13-12-2014, 01:57 PM
speach (Simon)

Would be very interested. The only thing that will stop me is if I'm scheduled for surgery in Feb.
Old 15-12-2014, 06:19 AM
stevous67 (Steve M)

I'm still keen.

Steve
Old 15-12-2014, 07:13 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I'll post if/when there's any news.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 15-12-2014, 07:33 AM
gregbradley

Why don't you do one Rick? You seem to know a lot about PI and have been using it successfully for some time.

Some times guys who do talks about software have images that don't show any expertise at all. Yours do - that's your licence.

Greg.
Old 15-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Why don't you do one Rick? You seem to know a lot about PI and have been using it successfully for some time.

Some times guys who do talks about software have images that don't show any expertise at all. Yours do - that's your licence.

Greg.
Now there's the beginning of a good idea. Why not get a group of Pi users together to give presentations and have discussions/workshops. With PI being as vast as it is I'm sure most of us have found useful things that other users are unaware of or haven't explored.
Geoff
Old 18-04-2015, 08:53 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I'll post if/when there's any news.

Cheers,
Rick.
Hey Rick, is there any news?

Very keen to do this - I keep receiving invites to workshops but sadly my Spanish is not good enough for me to head to Valencia and Tucson is a bit of a stretch

Pete
Old 19-04-2015, 09:00 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Hey Rick, is there any news?

Very keen to do this - I keep receiving invites to workshops but sadly my Spanish is not good enough for me to head to Valencia and Tucson is a bit of a stretch

Pete
Hi Pete. No, I haven't heard any more from Vicent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post

Greg.
Sorry I missed your post, Greg. I have been talking about doing a local (Brisbane) workshop for a while. I should get off my butt and organise it. I wasn't thinking of anything grand... just a quick intro to the basics and a run through of a simple workflow. The boardroom at work has a projector and room for a smallish group. I know there is enough interest that I'd have to do it a couple of times (or find a bigger venue.)

Anything longer or better than an impromptu few hours is probably out of the question for me. I have put together and delivered training courses in IT products before and I am under no illusions about how much work it is. Maybe when I retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
Now there's the beginning of a good idea. Why not get a group of Pi users together to give presentations and have discussions/workshops. With PI being as vast as it is I'm sure most of us have found useful things that other users are unaware of or haven't explored.
Geoff
That's a great idea, Geoff. We've had a few small, informal meetings of Brisbane based PI users. Something a little more structured could work well for a larger group.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 19-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

Rick, I am in if you are able to arrange something.

Brett
Old 21-04-2015, 08:59 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Rick

I'd fly up from Sydney for this

Sounds a great idea

Pete
Old 22-04-2015, 08:55 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I'd definitely make the trip across from WA for a PI symposium in Brisbane. Hell of a thing to organise though. I'm happy to help as much as possible from over here.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 22-04-2015, 02:15 PM
speach (Simon)

Yep I'd bring our caravan up from Melbourne.
Old 23-04-2015, 12:38 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

I'd be happy to participate in a PI summit just about anywhere in Oz if somebody else wants to organise it I know that if it is left to me it won't happen. Between my very full-on "day" job and the occasional imaging fix I really don't have the time and energy.

I will, however, pursue the idea of a local "introduction to PI" workshop. All that really needs is a date, a venue and a couple of hours preparation.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 23-04-2015, 12:51 PM
glend (Glen)

Too late for me, I have un-installed it as it was just too complicated in my opinion. Nothing intuitive about it. I'll go back to Photoshop and tools.
Old 23-04-2015, 01:05 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Too late for me, I have un-installed it as it was just too complicated in my opinion. Nothing intuitive about it. I'll go back to Photoshop and tools.
There's a lot of Photoshop that isn't intuitive either. It's just that once upon a time it was the only option and now we're used to it. If it was that easy to use you wouldn't see rows of 4 inch thick books at Dymocks.

IMO, PI suits folks with a scientific or programming background. It's a hardcore tool for geeks If you're of a gentler, more artistic bent then it probably isn't for you.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 23-04-2015, 04:00 PM
glend (Glen)

I am a tertiary trained programmer and made my living in my youth writing Assembler and Cobol code on old IBM 4341s back when punch card decks were the input. Times change, and for me the idea of struggling along with PI is 'hair shirt' stuff for the 'fans'. Yes I know Photoshop and there are no shortage of online tutorials and tools that make learning it easy not so PI. I have no doubt that it will fill a niche for some people but IMHO it will never be a mainstream Astro processing application.
Old 23-04-2015, 05:46 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
I am a tertiary trained programmer and made my living in my youth writing Assembler and Cobol code on old IBM 4341s back when punch card decks were the input. Times change, and for me the idea of struggling along with PI is 'hair shirt' stuff for the 'fans'. Yes I know Photoshop and there are no shortage of online tutorials and tools that make learning it easy not so PI. I have no doubt that it will fill a niche for some people but IMHO it will never be a mainstream Astro processing application.
You're welcome to be an exception to my general observation

I've written a lot of assembler too (albeit not with the IBM capital "A".) Perhaps you need to have experienced "C" system programming to have the appropriate level of masochism to enjoy and appreciate PI.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
You're welcome to be an exception to my general observation

I've written a lot of assembler too (albeit not with the IBM capital "A".) Perhaps you need to have experienced "C" system programming to have the appropriate level of masochism to enjoy and appreciate PI.

Cheers,
Rick.
I used to write assembler on prehistoric Atari, where you needed several lines of code just to divide two numbers...

As for the software for astrophotography, I have fallen in love with PI since I first opened it...have not touched PS since...
Old 24-04-2015, 06:39 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

I'm also a tertiary trained programmer, but have had little experience with asm besides some uni work with m68k and some tinkering with x86. Maybe it's because I've spent most of my career in web applications and OO that I appreciate PI ;-)

Jokes aside, I definitely hear what you're saying Glen. I actually refused to use PI at first because the UX is terrible. In the end I spent more time with it and came to the conclusion that (a) I didn't have the time or knowledge to write anything better myself and (b) its power is worth more than the bad UX detracts. I wouldn't use anything else now.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:21 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Jokes aside, I definitely hear what you're saying Glen. I actually refused to use PI at first because the UX is terrible. In the end I spent more time with it and came to the conclusion that (a) I didn't have the time or knowledge to write anything better myself and (b) its power is worth more than the bad UX detracts. I wouldn't use anything else now.
Lee, do you mean UX in general or just the GUI? I can understand that people don't like to learn what is effectively a new windowing system, but I can also appreciate that using a toolkit like Qt is the only sensible approach for building a complex cross platform GUI.

Quite a few of the Qt developers used to be based in Brisbane. Unfortunately, they got downsized after Nokia acquired Trolltech

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 24-04-2015, 10:11 AM
RobC (Rob)

I retired two years ago but worked as a software developer with a major American graphics company. Since retiring I have come up to speed with QT. I was so impressed with the way, the PixInSight gui works that I suggested to my previous employers that they should review its gui methodology for consideration in the development of their intelligent modeling and engineering applications.

QT is a cross platform development environment and probably the most serious contender to the Microsoft offerings. Another popular Astro program written in QT is "Stellarium". Totally different gui to PixInSight.

Rob