Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Observations 29th & 31st March

Still working my way through the LMC this time charts 3 & 4 from http://cloudsofmagellan.net.au/

Much of this report includes these objects as well as some obs in Hydra at the end.

These areas seem to contain many fully formed open clusters and fewer star forming emission nebula. I wonder if there are theories or evidence about why different things are happening in different parts of the LMC. My searches so far have led me mostly to journal articles that are a bit beyond me.

Anyway, although these objects all sound a bit similar, I've found there is quite a bit of subtle variation. Alas the notes may sound a bit repetitive - the observing experience has not been.

To those who have the patience to plough through, I hope you find some value/interest/inspiration.

Telescope 410mm (16”) f4.9 tri-dob reflector
Eyepieces 28mm UWAN, 17,13,9 mm Naglers, Paracorr
Navigation: Night Sky Observer’s Guide (NSOG) My own charts of the Large Magellanic Cloud (3, 4 & 8)

29/3/2011

Seeing good 2/5
Transparency good 6/7

Henize Emission Nebula N74

135X Located just to the southwest of Epsilon Dorado this nebula appears in 2 sections N74E & N74W with the western part being slightly larger. There appears a fine 1’ wide bridge of nebulosity linking the two. N74E is a 6’ long rhomboid with 2 bright stars marking the wider 4’ eastern edge and two fainter stars about 3’ apart marking the western corners. These stars enclose an area of haze within which is an arc of brighter luminosity (convex north). There is a faint strand of nebulosity extending southwards from the rhomboid. N74W is less regular with more resolvable stars. It is roughly box-shaped, 13’(E-W) x 6,’ but has a long arc of haze and stars curving out to the southwest. There is a faint patch of haze between the main body of N74W and a bright star to its west. 175X The shapes of both parts become less distinct with patches of haze visible between and around them and dark patches within. More resolvable stars become visible in the western section. UHC filter accentuates the lumpy quality of both sections and the arc in the eastern section is accentuated and appears to have thin extensions to the brighter stars at the eastern end. The faint bridge between sections remains visible.

20’ to the east of N47 is NGC 2105

NGC 2105 OC in LMC

175X distinct large, even circular glow brightening somewhat to the centre, but with no central core or resolvable stars, appears slightly more than 1’ dia.

A line drawn from 2105 through N74W leads to NGC 2117

NGC 2117 OC in LMC

175X Grainy 1’ disc with some faint resolvable stars. Stars to its north and west give the OC a slightly triangular appearance.

NGC 2130 OC in LMC

175X Shares the 28’ FOV with NGC 2135 about 14’ to the east. Other fainter clusters are also seen. Bright grainy disc of haze with either a distinct core or a star resolved using averted vision. About 40” across. A small cluster between 2130 and 2135 is not labeled on my chart, but is quite distinct with averted vision and becomes almost stellar with direct vision.

NGC 2135 OC in LMC

175X Fainter than neighbouring NGC 2130 and quite grainy. About 40” across.

30’ South of NGC 2135 is SL 771

Shapley/Lindsay 771 OC in LMC

175X Somewhat faint soft 2’ circular glow with no central core or resolvable stars.

A line from 2135 through SL771 leads to NGC 2147

Henize Emission Nebula N75 + NGC 2147 Open Cluster and Emission Nebula in LMC

175X N75 is a 4’x2’ kidney bean shaped nebula with a few resolvable stars. NGC 2147 is a smooth, round 40” brightening in the northern end of N75, with the impression of a core.

Thurs 31/3/2011

Seeing: excellent 1/5
Transparency: good 6/7

NGC 2154 OC in LMC

Located 40’ to the ESE of Epsilon Dorado 175X Looks to be about a 1’ diameter faint smooth and even glow elongated somewhat N-S and with a slightly lumpy appearance on averted vision.

About 25’ to the NNE is SL 800

Shapley/Lindsay 800 OC in LMC

175X A small faint circular glow with an impression of a faint core. Looks about 20” dia.

In the middle of chart 4 is a small right-angled triangle of stars, obvious in the finderscope. To the north of the star at the north end of the short side is NGC 2197

NGC 2197 OC in LMC

175X A faint circular glow with a few stars just resolvable and quite a concentrated core. Dia. looks to be a tad under 1’.

A line drawn from Epsilon Dor through the triangle asterism leads to a small clump of stars visible in the finderscope. In the midst of these is NGC 2231.

NGC 2231 OC in LMC

175X A 1.5’ dia. smooth round glow surrounded by a field of stars with some central concentration but no core.

NGC 2214 OC in LMC

Found by considering the line from Eta1 Dor to Epsilon Dor as the base of an equilateral triangle pointing south. Just to the south of its apex is NGC 2241- visible in the finderscope. 175X By far the brightest object in this area, 2214 sits amongst a few stars. There are clearly resolvable stars tightly packed into this elliptical cluster, with its long axis SW-NE. No central core. Looks about 2’x1’

Just shy of half way along a line from 2214 to Epsilon Dor is a clump of stars with a few clusters scattered amongst them of which NGCs 2177 and 2166 are the most obvious

NGC 2177 OC in LMC

175X Faint 45”x30” disc of light elongated slightly SE-NW with some faintly resolvable stars.

NGC 2166 OC in LMC

175X Just to the SW of 2177, this is a little brighter but smaller. No stars resolved in this small 30” dia round glow.

Shapley/Lindsay 735 OC in LMC

175X Quite bright slightly triangular glow with two bright stars marking the eastern edge. The edges of the triangle are about 1.5’ long

NGC 3242 PN in Hydra “Ghost of Jupiter”

250X Quite spectacular round bluish PN with distinct central star surrounded by narrow dark ring, then a bright, firm annulus itself surrounded by a fainter halo. This outer halo has quite distinct inner and outer margins but is fainter between these and appears to have dark patches. The outer halo is fainter on the western edge. This has to be one of the best planetaries for visual observing. UHC filter accentuates the glow of the inner bright ring especially on the eastern side. OII filter also makes this inner ring look thinner and brighter especially on the eastern side. The outer halo looks less structured with both filters 440X Becomes less crisp at this magnification tonight, but above details still apparent, the hollow looking outer halo has filaments of blue tracery throughout.

NGC 3200 GX in Hydra

175X Distinct edge on GX with obvious nucleus and grainy appearance suggesting dark lanes. Elongated roughly N-S, 4’x1’. 4’ to the west is a bright foreground star and there is another star on its northern edge.

Abell 1060 Galaxy cluster in Hydra (Hydra Galaxy Cluster I)
135X At least 8 galaxies are readily seen straggling between 2 bright foreground stars. I can identify NGCs 3305, 3308, 3309, 3307, 3311, 3312, 3314 and 3316 from the sketch in the Night Sky Observer’s Guide

I spend some time browsing the Antlia Galaxy group.

NGC 3621 GX in Hydra

175X A bright and large, mottled, partly edge on spiral galaxy with wide nucleus. There are 3 foreground stars forming a cap over the southern end of the galaxy and I have an impression of a spiral arm within the area marked by this cap.
Old 14-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Crikey Paddy, those objects in the LMC look waay beyond my scope in suburbia (from your descriptions). So glad to read your observations nevertheless. Beautifully reported with such exquisite detail as usual.

I saw the Ghost of Jupiter the other night, and it is indeed awesome! And so blue! Tho, I didn't see the detail you did though.. what with your 16inch and dark skies compared to moi in suburbia with a 10".

Thank you so much for sharing your observations- I always look forward to them.
Old 14-04-2011, 07:51 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Great report there Paddy,most enjoyable
I should do my own LMC observations
Cheers
Old 17-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks Suzy and Ron. Suzy, I think the dark skies would make the biggest difference. It sounds like a trip to Cambroon might have to be on the cards for you soon...
Old 25-04-2011, 04:48 PM
orestis

Great observation report Paddy.

The ghost of jupiter is simply awesome.I should make a sketch to show you guys how i see it.

Thanks for posting
cheers Orestis