Old 28-09-2013, 12:34 AM
Nathan76 (Nathan)

Unhappy NOT enough INWARDS focus

Greetings all,

I have a United Optics 110mm F7 refractor which i am told is made by the same manufacturer as Williams Optics(Not the same optics though, I'm not even sure if it's an APO).

I have jumped straight in the deep end and tried to capture some images with my Nikon D7100 DSLR.

As the scope does not have a built in field flattener i have purchased a williams optics FFIV.

My PROBLEM is when coupling the DSLR with the FF to the scope it seems i don't have enough inwards focus travel to get even close to a nice pic, it is completely out of focus.

The FF is adjustable, i have tried all the distances, focus all the way in with no luck.

I was sold this scope with astrophotography in mind so would assume it is suitable given the reputation of the shop.

Now correct me if i am wrong please...

Could it be that the DSLR chip is just set too far back in the camera?

In future i will be looking at getting a dedicated CCD(I have taken a liking to the QHY9)- Would/could this be the solution simply because the chip is set much closer to the front of the unit, Its a pretty expensive scenario to test with out going out and buying one.

Could it be i got a bum deal and this scope is no good for AP?

I thought one way to test it would be to position a guide scope CCD(which i am yet to buy, prob go for a QHY5 II) in the same pos that the QHY9 would be and see if i can get focus then- Can anybody help with the distance from the front of the unit/T thread to the chip on a QHY9(I've checked the web/technical drawings and can't seem to find a number.

Anybody else had any joy APing with a United Optics scope? I can say that visually it is impressive both in how it looks(classy/well made) and and the views it gives(Planets/Star clusters etc very crisp/clear no CA that i can see not that I'm an expert!)

Hopefully someone can help, thanks in advance, and could everybody over east Aus send WA some clear skies, I think ever since i got my scope 6 out of 7 days have been cloudy

Cheers.

Old 28-09-2013, 08:50 AM
naskies (Dave)

I think the WO FF IV eats up a lot of back focus - I wasn't able to get it to work with a SW ED80 either. There will be other flatteners that use up less back focus.

Have you tried focusing without a flattener at all, i.e. DSLR attached straight to the refractor? This will give you an idea of how much back focus you have to work with.
Old 28-09-2013, 10:44 AM
cfranks (Charles)

I have a Williams FLT132 with a Williams FF but I don't know which one, there is no mark on the device. Attached are the specs which might be useful to give an idea (possibly) of back focus etc.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TMBflattener_ChiptoLens.jpg)
57.8 KB47 views
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Nathan76 (Nathan)

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried attaching the camera directly minus the FF, but because i did not have a 2" adapter i went through a diagonal. Thinking back to that i set up i thought i would have plenty of focus travel.

Stupid question but...

Does a diagonal affect the focusing distance?

Cheers

NB
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

you were using the diagonal with the flattener and DSLR?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Nathan76 (Nathan)

Nah, DSLR to diagonal to scope.

Because i did not have a 2" t mount adapter, only 1", just to test it i fitted it to the diag...put a bit of pressure on it but i got some mediocre test shots, suffered badly in the not fat out from centre and in the corners which is why i got the FF.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:23 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

if you can go get yourself a 2" T, and lose the diagonal, put the DSLR pointing straight through the telescope.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Poita (Peter)

Or just remove an inch or so off the tube and re-attach the focuser etc.
I did this with a Celestron 80mm scope, just got the local engineering shop to face it off in the lathe. It cost me a beer and a look through the scope