Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 09-09-2020, 03:52 PM
bojan
amateur

New life for my Dell Latitude D610 with Linux?

I was using this laptop with XP for years.. for CAD and also running CdC and other applications. It became very slow with time so I decided to try Linux (Cinnamon 32-bit) instead of fresh installation of XP again.

At the beginning it was quite fast, but after couple of days it slowed down considerably. Does anyone know why? After downloading number of suggested updates it is a bit faster, but still not as it used to be at the beginning.

Also, it was much faster (Firefox for example) when booted from USB stick, but then I couldn't save any settings.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:07 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

I don't know what the problem is but (1) Have you tried looking at the system monitor? and (2) Does the Disks utility say the HD is healthy?
Old 10-09-2020, 05:28 AM
bojan
amateur

System monitor says Cinnamon is ~95% busy most of the time, Web content goes up to 40%
This lap has single core 32-bit 1.7GHz processor, 2GB so not much these days, but still should be OK since I tried w'7 (from distribution disk, but decided not to register because w'7 did not support built-in sound and WiFi adapter) and the browsing and general responsiveness to mouse was adequate. So it was when Cinnamon was booted from stick.

BTW, I found relevant discussion on Linux forum, will try that

Last edited by bojan; 10-09-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:57 PM
bojan
amateur

Well, it seems my problem is solved: I removed Cinnamon and installed Xface distribution of Linux Mint (19.3) and this looks like completely different story - my old D610 notebook now has got new, hopefully long life.
Obviously, the full blown distribution was too much for D610 h/w.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

My old Fujitsu xp machine still works well under Ubuntu for kstars/ ecos, guiding and imaging. Just don’t expect to see 24bit colour frames displayed every few minutes. Works fine with 16bit mono frames.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:05 AM
bojan
amateur

Ray,

My intention was to use this machine for GMN (Global Meteror Network, they recommend rsp3 or 4) so I thought it would be a good opprtunity to start playing with Linux.

However, my wife wanted to use it for general browsing, which was difficult under XP.

We shall see how this develops in the near future.. Ideally rsp4 is the final solution for my application, as I intended to place one camera on my friend's farm in Daylesford (the sky is quite dark there), and possibly another one could be negotiated in Snake Valley...
Old 11-09-2020, 11:06 AM
bojan
amateur

I tried to make bootable USB stick for GMN application, from this link.
This is meant to be for bootable sd-card for raspberry 3, but it was mentioned on GMN website it should work on lap with linux as well.

Files on sd memory do not look like standard linux bootable system stick...
Does anybody have experience with linux and that sort of problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (c_13.jpg)
87.9 KB21 views
Old 11-09-2020, 05:36 PM
miketheobscure (Mike Kreuzer)

I've never used the Pi OS on a PC, but supposedly you can.

I think you need to use the imager to make the SD card/USB work as a bootable device though, rather than just copying the files across. [Edit: assuming that's what happened - this isn't meant to sound patronising, just realised it might, apols.]

No need to get the image as well, that's included in the imager - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Interested to see how this turns out, an all sky cam's on my list of things to do - cheers, Mike
Old 11-09-2020, 06:21 PM
bojan
amateur

Hmm, This is what I've done I think.. file from link is image file, and I used Rufus to produce bootable (? hopefully) drive...

I will try imager as you suggested, thanks :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketheobscure View Post
I've never used the Pi OS on a PC, but supposedly you can.

I think you need to use the imager to make the SD card/USB work as a bootable device though, rather than just copying the files across. [Edit: assuming that's what happened - this isn't meant to sound patronising, just realised it might, apols.]

No need to get the image as well, that's included in the imager - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Interested to see how this turns out, an all sky cam's on my list of things to do - cheers, Mike
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM
muletopia (Chris)
Want to do better

Rufus

Sorry Bojan, I can't resist.
Once when driving a pair of mule one of which was called Rufus we entered a friend's farm driveway. A farm dog came and annoyed Rufus so the dog was gently pushed away. The dog came back, this time he was kicked to the side of the road. The slow learning dog came back again. This time Rufus booted him over the driveway fence into a paddock.

Booting by Rufus.

Chris
Old 12-09-2020, 04:58 AM
bojan
amateur

Well, Rufus I know is not always annoyed.. It was very tame and obedient when I was routinely preparing bootable CF cards for some older computers in the past.

Also behaving when extracting Linux mint installation from ISO file onto USB stick.

Last edited by bojan; 12-09-2020 at 05:53 AM.