ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

S&T new layout

So what's with the Jan 2017 edition of S & T?? No deep sky observing article??:questi on: Do we like the new layout ? NO !! Not happy .Big Thumbs down) Jonathan!!!
Old 13-01-2017, 12:35 AM
raymo

This is the second issue that I've seen in the newsagent before I have
received my copy; still haven't got mine, and the colour of the cover
is insipid.
raymo
Old 16-01-2017, 06:45 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubenel View Post
So what's with the Jan 2017 edition of S & T?? No deep sky observing article??:questi on: Do we like the new layout ? NO !! Not happy .Big Thumbs down) Jonathan!!!
I think there is a deep sky article. P52 by Sue French on Lepus.And in the Feb/March edition I picked up today, there is an article on Gemini.
It is unfortunate that since Les stopped writing due to health issues, we have not had a regular Australian deep sky column, but I am sure that a good writer is not easy to find!!

Malcolm
Old 16-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Thanks Malcolm,RE. the P56 article, I didn't recognise as a deep sky article with 3 DSO and 16 stars/binary objects sighted. I think I was a little precious though !! Point to note. Dont count on Gemini for DSO's!. THIS post could also lead into a greater question . WITH the busy lifestyle and constraints we have to overcome to actually get into decent dark sky to observe ,have I become guilty of relying on a quick information grab to stuff into an observing list at the last moment. S & T mostly fulfills that criteria , so when it's not "there" ( It, being a good and well written article centered on deep sky observations), for me ,what will I observe!! I hope most of us don't observe in isolation and we can feed off one another. To my observing friends I thankyou. You fill the gap for me.
A good planetarium program can assist however it just doesn't have the same attractive allure as the human touch . And with Sue F in the Northern Hemisphere I would presume that the grandest half of the universe will go undescribed. We miss you Les D.
Old 17-01-2017, 12:54 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
I think there is a deep sky article. P52 by Sue French on Lepus.And in the Feb/March edition I picked up today, there is an article on Gemini.
It is unfortunate that since Les stopped writing due to health issues, we have not had a regular Australian deep sky column, but I am sure that a good writer is not easy to find!!

Malcolm
Wes I have 18 years of Astronomy magazine plus The US version of Sky and Tel going back to 1986 with hundreds of observing lists in them,you are welcome to take some home and get the observing lists from them.
Other mags include Australian Sky&Tel Sky&Space,Astronomy Now and various others collected over the last 30 years.
You know where to come.
Cheers
Old 17-01-2017, 10:15 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi All,

I must admit that I have hardly picked up an astronomical magazine for the last several years so I can't really comment on the new layout. Generally, in niche-type magazine readerships are resistant to change so, I'd give it a go for a while and see how you feel after a few issues.

I am flattered that I was remembered. My health has improved somewhat and if I were given the opportunity again, I think I could turn out some material for the magazine if there is sufficient interest in both the readership and the editorial team. I'm not here to start a letter-writing campaign, but if you would like to see some proper, locally sourced Deep Sky material back in AS&T, why not get in contact with them and let them know.

Best,

L.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25 PM
NeilW

I see that they've bowed to feedback and reverted to the old banner for the current edition.