Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 01-01-2021, 06:08 PM
brajoh (John bradshaw)

Sharpless 2-27

This is my first upload so please pardon the nervous navel gazing.
Sharpless 2-27 (I have seen it called the Kobold)

70mm Nikon zoom (70-210) (10x15 degrees) (13.6 ArcsecsPerPixel)
Ha
ASI 294MC
300X (1x1, -5deg C)
300s x 38 = 190Min = 3h10'

(Heq5pro, AsiAir for exposures, MGen guiding
Backyard Grafton NSW 24/8/2020

Processed in pixinsight, possibly with starnet as I have processed stars separately and readded a very attenuated set of stars. I like the SR (star reduced) version best.
I got a bit obsessed about chasing the kobold face I think.
On the other hand the version with stars shows a lot of star artefact (dark doughnut halos) and since it is basically Ha (on an OSC) camera the stars off the nebula have a different colour to those over the nebula.
The 3rd version (LSView) is basically the product of LargeStructureEnhance script, smoothed nicely with much less artefact of star processing and a bit more honest about how much surrounding Ha there is but only having an impression of sharpness due to the stars.

Any comments and suggestions for improvement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sh2_27_sr_FIN.jpg)
129.8 KB53 views
Click for full-size image (Sh2_27_stars_FIN.jpg)
146.8 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (Sh2_28_LSView_Good_H.jpg)
130.8 KB52 views
Old 04-01-2021, 08:03 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Given that the main feature here is the shapes in the nebula, my view is that the middle image works best. In this one you’ve managed to bring out the shapes, detail and features of the face that is quite evident (to me!) that is lurking therein. I don’t think that the scattering of stars detracts from the image at all.

Using a Ha filter with an OSC is always going to be a challenge particularly with getting the colours right. The only thing that I would probably do is seperate out the nebula with a range mask and tone down the red in the background.

Btw, I think that the face in the nebula looks more like Suru from Star Trek Discovery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (img_0325.jpg)
121.0 KB3 views
Old 18-01-2021, 11:00 AM
brajoh (John bradshaw)

I agree about who the face resembles ...

Thanks for the comments Ryderscope -- much appreciated. I looked at the three online and thought the main thing they lacked was contrast, so, as you do, I did a reprocessing from start (I was surprised to go back and see how little detail was visible in the unstretched original!) and basically added stars back in, pretty much cheating and using starnet to desaturate the bright ones to get rid of the red. The face is still apparent but a bit of background nebulosity and the stars make it more an astrophoto and less a photographic processing exercise to bring out a face
Still anyone who gets told this looks like them is being insulted now!
(I've uploaded in jpg - do people use PNG on iceinspace? It seems a bit more versatile but less known).
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sh2_27_UPLOAD.jpg)
163.2 KB6 views