Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
zardos123 (Brad)
new telescope....old eyes

new from pentax

what do you think

PENTAX O-GPS1 FACT SHEET
GPS function records shooting location data
The O-GPS1 mounts easily on the hot shoe of a compatible PENTAX DSLR camera to records the latitude, longitude, altitude, universal time coordinated (UTC) and direction of the shooting location onto captured images. Using mapping software such as Google Earth™, users may recall shooting locations and directions on a map. GPS functionality also helps sort and file-recorded images.
Note: When the O-GPS1 is used in locations where it cannot receive signals from GPS satellites, location data may be in error or missing.
Astrotracer for astrophotography
The O-GPS1offers the advanced PENTAX original Astrotracer function,* which works with the PENTAX Shake Reduction (SR) system on select cameras for tracking and photographing celestial bodies. The unit calculates the movement of stars, planets, and other bodies using the latitude obtained from GPS data and the camera’s alignment data (horizontal and vertical inclinations and aspect) obtained from its magnetic and acceleration sensors. Then, the unit shifts the camera’s image sensor in synchronization with the movement of the object(s). As a result, stars and other bodies are captured as solid points rather than blurry streaks, even during extended exposures. The unit also simplifies astrophotography by requiring only a tripod and eliminating the need for additional accessories such as an equatorial telescope.
This function is available only when the O-GPS1 is mounted on a PENTAX digital SLR camera body equipped with a magnet-driven SR system.
The duration of Astrotracer operation may vary depending on photographic conditions.
Simple Navigation to indicate location data to a destination
The O-GPS1 offers a Simple Navigation function, which calculates the direction and distance to a given destination from the current position. Users may locate destinations using location data stored on recorded images or register/assign destinations by uploading location data created on a personal computing device.*
At the time of purchase, the O-GPS1 has nine PENTAX international service centers as preset destinations.
Electronic Compass function to indicate and record direction
The O-GPS1 features an Electronic Compass function, which displays the camera’s direction on its LCD monitor with great precision. Using the aspect of geomagnetism detected by its magnetic sensor and GPS location data, the unit indicates the aspect in relation to true north. Users may record directional data on captured images.
Additional important features
• Simplified weather-resistant construction for use in light rain.
• Independent power source (one AAA-size battery) eliminating the need to draw power from the camera body.
PENTAX,

it sounds awesome, i wonder whether it will work while eq mounted
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM
zardos123 (Brad)

more info

[ ASTROTRACER Tracking Time (approx.) ]

K-5
Declination Focal Length
(°) 200mm 100mm under 50mm
90 300 300 300
45 160 290 300
0 110 240 300
<sec.>
K-r
Declination Focal Length
(°) 200mm 100mm under 50mm
90 300 300 300
45 80 200 300
0 80 170 300
the format of table has changed but they are saying up to 300 seconds at 200mm 90 deg declination, see original here
http://www.pentax.jp/english/news/2011/201107.html

regards brad
Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM
space oddity

Pentax have clawed their way back in to the DSLR world. So much in fact, that I intend to rationalize my camera arsenal to all Pentax. Did you know that the k5 will tolerate temperatures down to -10 degrees and well weather sealed? The Nikon D7000 which has basically the same sensor only tolerates 0 degrees and 85% humidity. I saw the K5 in action at the SPSP - very impressive. Add this little gizmo and the K5 is possibly the best DSLR to hang off the back of a telescope for those who cannot afford an SBIG.
Watch out for some fancy Nikon gear of mine for sale in the coming months.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
zardos123 (Brad)

Talking k-5

i have a k-5 and it is the best camera i have used, the high iso performance is ridiculous, and super low noise without cooling at 1600 iso, i am going to try some long subs it get 14 stops!!! of dynamic range at 100 iso
regards brad