Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Observational and Visual Astronomy > Observation Reports

Old 29-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

What did You observe on the Moon tonight/last night.

I viewed the Moon with my 80mm Orion triplett, using 5 & 7mm Delite EPs. The moon was a Waxing, 63.8% illuminated according to the ISS Moon Phase reckoner.

Copernicus western crater wall is bathed in sunlight, but its floor is in shadow. The eastern wall looks thin in comparison, but has a bright little thickening in its eastern region, which contrast sharply against the shadowed-floor background.

Clavius appears impressively near the terminator in the deep South. Nothing is lit to its west, but its floor is sunlet, although dark shadows from its Eastern Wall can be seen and its Western floor seems to be less than fully illuminated.

Against the terminator, I also notice some shallow, broad trench like features in the Mares; one being just north of the crater Lambert.

So kindly join in with your own observations and images. Lots of people have their own special interest on features on the Moon, so it would be great to hear those, as well as observations on the more popular/striking items of interest.

Beginners especially welcome!
Old 31-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

I viewed the Moon with my Skywatcher 70mm achromatic with 25 & 10mm silver plossl EPs, with the Moon being 82.1% illuminated. I set up on the front footpath to show any kids the Moon for their Halloween treat, but nobody has visited. Maybe I was the scariest thing out there!

The northern aspect of the Moon seems favoured by libration this evening. The Jewel Handle of Sinus Iridum is nicely seen, as well as the more northerly, large crater Herschel, J with its unusual floor; the Western floor looks rough & filled with mountains, whereas the Eastern side looks flat in comparison.

In the Central region of the terminator, just below Mare Humorum, Gassendi is seen with its central peak. In this large crater, I could also see a lesser circular wall, inside of its large outer walls.

The strangely elongated Schiller appears towards the southern end of the terminator. It always reminds me of the legendary Patrick Moore who often mentioned this odd crater in his books.

I just has another look with a 15mm Delite EP before posting this. Gosh it looked good, even with such a humble scope. Although the scope is achromatic, CA is next to invisible, which is not surprising since has a Focal ratio of 12.8.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Wish I could add something, as of your request but it's *@$#%#@* raining here when the forecast yesterday was for a clear night tonight !!!