ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2014, 04:22 PM
h0ughy (David)

following on the general chat theme - whats a good cheap ride on mower

looking at getting a cheap ride on mower - any tips and thoughts?
Old 05-09-2014, 04:38 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

G'day David.
You want both GOOD and CHEAP. Hmmm! That's a toughie. A goat with a saddle might fit both but not much else.

Avoid the fancy names that look flash but are made of plastic. Greenfield is a good solid brand that makes good solid (not flashy) machines. Cox is another. But cheap?? Only second-hand and then you're in the land of false economies.
Peter
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Craftsman , American 15hp brigggs and stratton
Had mine over 10 years.
Still runs perfectly. Simple cheap maintenance.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Not sure about cheap but a Hustler zero turn radius will probably serve you well. You won't regret getting a ZTR... well, assuming your block isn't steep, as they're not good on slopes.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Hi Dave

I was servicing/ repairing our comercial zero turns (toro ,,hustler ) for quite a few years.

and they are a great bit of gear , the hustler though was pretty awkward to deal with service wise and I never got to really like it in regard,it eventually got traded for a toro.

The toro zeros are a well made bit of gear and most service tasks and pricing for the basics arn't to crazy ,I personally would only buy one new though if your thinking one of these, the rebuild or replacement of the wheel drives and pumps of these, and they do wear out, is quite high ,bumping into a rebuild on any of these componants on a second hand unit could easily run past what you paid for it and some.

The older yard type ride ons are fairly robust and easily /cheaply
fixed , I have friend who has an old victa ,whenever a lever or part breaks off he sinply welds another on and away he goes for a decade or more
Old 05-09-2014, 06:33 PM
torana68 (Roger)

I have a Toro 419, kawasaki V Twin I wouldnt buy an older anything with a briggs engine, there seems to be a few about with broken conrods. I think they had a QC problem for a while and got dropped by a few makers. The only ***** is blades that come loose. Parts supply is pretty good.
My neighbour has a Husqvarna, same Kawasaki engine, has lighter steering and is easier to get on/off, seems pretty nice. The blades are on a spline and cannot come loose.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Not a ride-on but my mower has a B&S motor - marked "Not for sale in California" because of their pollution laws.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 PM
acropolite (Phil)

I've owned Husqvarna and Toro.

My Toro was a lemon, the manufacturers knew it was a lemon as did the dealers, I found out long after the warranty had expired that the Toro I had was prone to transmission problems due to poorly machined castings, the only remedy was to replace the transmission, something they obviously didn't want to do. I used the Toro for 4 years before giving up in frustration and buying a Husqvarna.

The Husqvarna, on the other hand, has been fantastic, the Kawasaki V twin engine is reliable, nothing has broken in over 10 years.

The Husqvarna also cuts faster and smoother than the Toro ever did, in grass where the Toro bogged down the Husky cruised through at a faster pace with less fuss.

Rather than buy cheap, spend a little extra on a Husky. FWIW in my area we all have 2-3000 square metre blocks, almost all have Huskys.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
h0ughy (David)

thanks guys for the feedback
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 AM
hotspur (Chris)

We have a cox,have not had any major issues with it,we bought it new.

If you are on a budget-try looking for an older style cox-there a white colour from memory,but the seem to be very tough and keep on going.

Ours is a newer green one cost $3000 new 13HP. Always best to buy new if you can.Greenfields is another mower I have heard good reports on.

Shop around-go to a few larger dedicated mower and small engine retail stores,take the time to sit in the machine,and check it all out,do not be in a hurry to buy one (you wont need one in a hurry if its as dry down there as it is here). many of the larger mower stores will do deals,to get a sale-we took a really crapy ride-on in and they traded it on the new one-did not expect to get as much we did off-it was so bad-my wife thought they would say no,but I got $200 off. Also ask for extras-full can,extra service etc.

Once you have your ride on-check Ebay for blades-they can usually be purchased there cheaper than mower shop.

Look forward to see image of your mower when you get it!
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

I have a Greenfields 22 HP ride on. 11 Yrs old. maintaining 2acres regularly and a few times each year a second grassy block. Briggs & Straton motor.

Its served me well. Gets along at 14klm/hr.

A failing of the twin cutter disc type is that when the blades wear, it leaves a trail of uncut grass through the middle. Single disc is better.

Friend has a Toro. 7yr old. $800 repair bill. Replace carby. Old fuel gummed it up. Has othe issues as well.

Cheers
RB (Andrew)

Why not change the lawn to Astroturf?
Serves a dual purpouse, no mowing needed and it compliments the dome.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

You could lose some kilo's PUSHING a mower... better still, push a broken down Chinese made ride on around. That's get ya fit (I damned well need to do the same myself!)

Or, do like a neighbour did - concrete the whole yard.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
You could lose some kilo's PUSHING a mower... better still, push a broken down Chinese made ride on around. That's get ya fit (I damned well need to do the same myself!)

Or, do like a neighbour did - concrete the whole yard.
sometimes Lewis i think you need to think before posting - the reason i am looking is because of the back injury i have. I currently have a self propelled mower but that is putting strain on my back and i was just looking at an alternative
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
G'day David.
You want both GOOD and CHEAP. Hmmm! That's a toughie. A goat with a saddle might fit both but not much else.

Avoid the fancy names that look flash but are made of plastic. Greenfield is a good solid brand that makes good solid (not flashy) machines. Cox is another. But cheap?? Only second-hand and then you're in the land of false economies.
Peter
would the goat really work
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
PeterM

Masters sell the Troybilt brand very cheap. Not sure on quality. I used to sell John Deere they are good machines. Be careful to buy the right machine if you have any slope on your block.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
louie_the_fly (Stew)
Astronewbie

I have one for sale. Rover Rancher. Good unit. Has a Briggs & Stratton engine. But you're too far away.

I saw some advertised in an online farm equipment magazine, but I don't remember where. Sorry.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
sometimes Lewis i think you need to think before posting - the reason i am looking is because of the back injury i have. I currently have a self propelled mower but that is putting strain on my back and i was just looking at an alternative
Well, I didn't read your autobiography, so I sincerely apologise.

No harm intended.

I guess this means no more taking the EQ8 to Astrofest from now on (again, NO harm intended)

Last edited by LewisM; 06-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
would the goat really work
Hey David, goats work really well but be preprepared for their scorched earth policy on anything under 2 metres.

You'll be left with nothing but dirt and rocks, then they will start on the rocks.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM
casstony

Automatic is much more convenient than manual gears.

For $2200 I bought a 42" Yard Pro which is decent though the motor bent a push rod which was fixed under warranty. It has the low end Kohler Courage motor - might be worth looking for the higher end Kohler motor or the Kawasaki motor.