Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 07-07-2019, 02:20 AM
Bobbyoutback

Silver is under valued

The Gold / Silver ratio is now over 93 ounces of silver for one ounce of Gold .
But only 10 times more silver exits in the ground to gold .

Gold spot price is over $2000AU an ounce , Silver is just $21.49AU an ounce !

Get some Silver now whilst it's so under valued
Old 07-07-2019, 02:41 AM
billdan (Bill)

Wow how things change, in 1975 I bought 20 ounces of Gold for $75 per ounce. I then sold them in the 1985 for $595 per ounce and used that money as a deposit for my first house purchase ($70K). To buy that same house today would cost $600K.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:11 AM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdan View Post
Wow how things change, in 1975 I bought 20 ounces of Gold for $75 per ounce. I then sold them in the 1985 for $595 per ounce and used that money as a deposit for my first house purchase ($70K). To buy that same house today would cost $600K.
Well done Bill on your gold buy all those years ago , I was young & stupid back then ' chasing chicks was my priority

For those who are considering buying Silver , Perth Mint Kilo Bars are good value .
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Is Gold / Silver becoming the new Bitcoin ?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyoutback View Post
Well done Bill on your gold buy all those years ago , I was young & stupid back then ' chasing chicks was my priority

For those who are considering buying Silver , Perth Mint Kilo Bars are good value .
You had your priorities right as the first job is to send one's genes into the future.
I like your observation and say this..the more gold and silver one can accumulate the better..both have the ability to hedge inflation which is not easy... one needs a portfolio of real estate, some shares, some collectables etc but if things go down hill gold and silver will work...if you have to move it can be easy to take with you..easier than a house obviously..both are liquid and both suffer little deteriation over time unlike say art work.

Thanks for your tip.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Is Gold / Silver becoming the new Bitcoin ?
In a lot of ways I would say it is the old Bitcoin. I don't mean that in a negative way, or that Bitcoin is better (it isn't), just that it came before it as a solid defence against economic woes. I think a gold/silver holding is a good thing, although when things get really tough, it would be down to true sustainers if life: food, water,etc.

Best
JA
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM
Wavytone

The bottom fell out of silver when the photographic industry went digital - film and paper were the primary consumers of the stuff.

Unless another major industry finds a need for it it won’t recover.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:31 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
The Gold / Silver ratio is now over 93 ounces of silver for one ounce of Gold .
But only 10 times more silver exits in the ground to gold .

Gold spot price is over $2000AU an ounce , Silver is just $21.49AU an ounce !

Get some Silver now whilst it's so under valued

I don't think the amount in the ground determines the price. It's the cost of getting it out of the ground and purifying it that matters. There is actually more Al in the crust than Fe but because refining Al requires more energy than Fe there is (last I checked) about a 6 fold difference in price.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Bobbyoutback

Money

I booked marked this link from back in 2017 , what's changed ?
Bezos is richer & dept higher .

All's the worlds money & markets in one visualization :
http://money.visualcapitalist.com/wo...lization-2017/

Hope you enjoy ' especially you Alex
Old 09-07-2019, 06:01 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
I booked marked this link from back in 2017 , what's changed ?
Bezos is richer & dept higher .

All's the worlds money & markets in one visualization :
http://money.visualcapitalist.com/wo...lization-2017/

Hope you enjoy ' especially you Alex
Thank you.
Alex
Old 12-07-2019, 12:29 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
...the more gold and silver one can accumulate the better..both have the ability to hedge inflation which is not easy... one needs a portfolio of real estate, some shares, some collectables etc but if things go down hill gold and silver will work...if you have to move it can be easy to take with you..easier than a house obviously..both are liquid and both suffer little deteriation over time unlike say art work.
Alex

Unless the human race wakes up to its vanity and decides to stop adorning their bodies with shiny metals and stones.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:13 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

You would think that these would never go out of fashion.
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (150px-Cône_d'Avanton,_musée_des_Antiquités_Nationales.jpg)
30.7 KB63 views
Old 12-07-2019, 09:25 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Alex

You're right. In fact I must get another one.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Bobbyoutback

Quote:
Alex
Wow ! what is that ?

And as for those who doubt the power of precious metals stay tuned as Fiat
currencies self destroy .

Only real stuff has a value , not delusional digital or paper money .
Bitcoin being the greatest con of all time .

One only needs to ask why to-days interest rates are at a record low ?

Bobby
Old 13-07-2019, 06:39 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Wow ! what is that ?

And as for those who doubt the power of precious metals stay tuned as Fiat
currencies self destroy .

Only real stuff has a value , not delusional digital or paper money .
Bitcoin being the greatest con of all time .

One only needs to ask why to-days interest rates are at a record low ?

Bobby
The gold hat is from the Bronze age and although there is nothing about them on the net I can tell you that they are made from gold leaf on something to support it and probably worn by the ancient folks version of the pope and I think gold had an association with the Sun so it was may have been involved in something involving Sun worship (Or respect). Presumably at a ceremony mid winter where they observed the Sun apparently dieing remaining so for three days and after three days being reborn ( and as reborn held somewhat a human implication invented the word resurrection) rather resurrected...I mean that hat says it all really..Look at the circles presumablely representing the Sun on it's yearly path..the hat says so much. And being a pagan thing was seen of value and the whole idea taken up by folk who came later and copied to present similar ceremonies held today although they have gone for different material in their hat...hats are so tired up with the Sun personification and god status you know.

Value is an interesting concept and invariably involves some kind of human delusion, other than the various Sun personification cults that even exist today even if they are not aware of their actual function, but if they wear a funny hat you can bet delusional Sun personification cult ....the only way to be " value" secure is to have a bit of everything but be sure to keep tons of baked beans and bottled water hidden at various locations and quiet separate from all the hidden gold and gems .

But I hear that tulips are ready for a big come back closely followed by radium although I never could see the value in radium as you can't take it out of hidding and play with it.
In business experts say your best investment is in staff but you can't bury them in various hidden locations ....

But interesting you raise silver as I have been thinking of getting a kg of silver and another forge (but I only yesterday found my old one..they are so easy to misplace) and making some objects... something you could call art I suppose...if you want to project your presence into the future (other than via your genes which is also a fun way) you make an art object that will always be valued more than weight of the metal so that future owners are not likely to melt it down for its scrape value...Look at the gold hats ..they remain because their perceived value is in their art value as well as historic value which far outweighs the scrape value...

Still my mother had it summed up ...she would say money (a placeholder for all material things one my covert) is of no value if you don't have your health and she is absolutely right ..it does not matter how much cash gold gems or staff you have buried if you still can't use a shovel.

It all comes down to getting the most enjoyment out of life and if you are bored with all that is involved in sending your genes into the future just fill your day with a pursuit that brings you personal pleasure ..I find a healthy balance between cage fighting and astronomy works for me.

Alex
Old 14-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Bobbyoutback

Agree

Alex ' what a great post !
So many areas I agree on but the cage fighting is not on my list .

Today I'll be playing with my telescopes as it's much more fun then just playing with ones self ,,

Have Fun
Bobby .
Old 14-07-2019, 01:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well thank you kindly Bobby.
My parents never told me that you could make a career from fighting so unfortuantely I missed going professional and now it is too late because of my legs (not my age☺) I cant throw a kick..not that we kicked in my day as your opponent would grab it and take you down.
To enjoy watching cage fighting you need to understand it is a mind exercise really and usually a demonstration of how brain beats brawn...I was not particularly strong and was always smaller than all my opponent but always won cause I thought the game thru even as a kid.
Judo and jujitsu were my primary skills and avoided boxing although I was not bad at it.
I was promised a flogging if I ever started a fight and something worse if when in a fight I lost...so I concentrated on defence and counter attack so I did not break the rules...I think it was my grandfather told me.
But as a small kid whos Mum made me dress perfect and be polite other kids saw me as an easy target...but not for long☺ anyways enough lallegagging back to work.

Alex
Old 14-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Bobbyoutback

Hi again Alex ,
Interesting concept of how brains beats brawn , good to hear how you applied it !

The only fighting I do is late at night over a chess board on the net .
I've only recently discovered Tennessee sour mash bourbon ' a fine companion for this activity but not for stargazing .

Having Fun
Bobby
Old 15-07-2019, 07:56 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Actually putting away whiskey is probably a good investment.
I watched a youtube vid where a couple of moonshiners were doing just that as they realised old moonshine commanded a .uch higher price.
I like chess but these days I only play the phone☺
Alex
Old 15-07-2019, 10:01 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
I like chess but these days I only play the phone☺
Alex
Funny you should say that. A chess grandmaster is in deep doggies do do after being caught (and later confessing) using his phone to cheat.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...-game/11307544

https://www.chess.com/news/view/igor...on-of-cheating

Personally, I find the phone is too strong a player for me, though I haven't tried it at 'fool' level . If you want to waste time on other web sites, I enjoy the Agadmator. You might even convince yourself that you become a better player if you watch enough .

https://www.youtube.com/user/AGADMATOR/featured