Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 19-04-2015, 11:24 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Buying astro gear in the UK/EU/Singapore

There is a very good chance I will go to UK and EU via Singapore later this year. As always, I am on the lookout for good astro gear, so just wondering if anyone has bought any used or new gear from UK EU or Singapore (and either bring it back in luggage or shipped later). So here are some questions experienced members may have some answers to
1. I assume used stuff won't attract VAT in the UK and equivalent in the EU and Singapore. Can anyone confirm this?
2. And being used, they should not attract GST and import duty when I land in Australia, does the $1000 limit still apply if I bring it in as opposed to ship it in later?
3. Any good forums to keep an eye out for? UK Astro buy and sell?
4. As for new Astro stuff, would Singapore be a better place to buy than UK and EU (I am coming back via Singapore)?
Thanks for any advice.
Bo
Old 19-04-2015, 11:38 AM
rat156

Hi Bo,

Can't answer many of your questions, but the answer to 2 is that any gear bought into the country over the $1000 limit will attract GST, new, used, doesn't matter.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 19-04-2015, 12:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Bo
The GST applies to goods imported, whether used or not. and the $1000 valuation is based upon what Customs think it is worth, they will sometimes jump on the internet to find out what the new value of an item is and then you are left trying to prove that it is actually second hand and thus worth less than $1000!
In Singapore, you can get a refund on GST for good purchased at a booth at the airport. When I did it it took about 15mins, but it is a small booth in each terminal. They are big terminals and the one we were in the booth was not easy to find, so allow time to do the transaction!
The info for Singapore is here http://www.yoursingapore.com/content...ax-refund.html Having just read it it sounds like they have streamlined the process from when we were there in 2012!
Not sure what the VAT rules in the UK are.

Malcolm
Old 19-04-2015, 01:21 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Yep, GST / duty still apply to used goods when importing them, sadly. VAT doesn't apply so you can basically knock 19% off the prices you see on UK sites.

Now's not a great time for purchasing from overseas really, our dollar is weak and most things I've checked would actually be cheaper locally, even from some of our "not so cheap" retailers. As always do your own math, you might find some great deals out there that offset it.

Edit: Sorry, just read the post a bit more carefully this time. Not sure what the deal is with VAT when you're physically there. The above applies to internet sales.
Old 19-04-2015, 01:27 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Here is the link for VAT in the UK!!
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

Malcolm
Old 19-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

In the UK, "Value Added Tax" aka VAT of 20% is applicable to new items only, used items such as Astro Buy and Sell which is quite active in the UK don't attract any tax.

For items above a certain value, you can provide proof of receipt at the departure airport and claim the VAT back, but while buying stuff physically in the UK you will have to pay it up front, I don't expect any astro retailers are setup for "duty-free" shopping since the majority of their market is UK/Europe where the common VAT rules apply (where no additional tax is incurred so long as it is charged in the country of sale).
Old 19-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Julian

Be very careful of scopes that have been in the Tropics, mould and spores form on the lenses, ruining the optics

Likewise Camera lenses, telescopes, from northern Australia same goes for them

Last edited by Julian; 19-04-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Old 19-04-2015, 03:54 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks everyone. Yes, confirmed the $1000 limit for imports (new or used) and GST.
Thanks Dunk and Malclom re VAT and used stuff, maybe some hope there. Lee, I know exchange rate us up the creek at the moment, but was hoping to get a couple of used accessories as the prices are competitive there.
Julian, will bear the tropics and mould spores in mind.

Ps, just found this forum http://www.singastro.org/forum2/index.php

Last edited by traveller; 19-04-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 19-04-2015, 05:40 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Absolutely TERRIBLE time to import anything right now, or even buy it in person.

Been pricing a few things stateside recently, and upon currency conversion, the price is WELL above the local dealer price - in one case, easily $200 OVER the local guy!

Unless it's an item you absolutely MUST have, I just would hold out. I bought a Takahashi OLD style MEF unit the other day from the US - n impossible to find item here (NOTHING like the new units). Price, after US-AUD conversion was $100 MORE than the modern version, BUT, it was a "period" item I needed.
Old 19-04-2015, 07:27 PM
jwoody (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
3. Any good forums to keep an eye out for? UK Astro buy and sell?
I have bought from here when I lived in London
http://stargazerslounge.com/

Need to register to view the classifieds
Cheers
Jeremy
Old 21-04-2015, 04:10 PM
vlazg (George)

Hi Bo,
I did visit the astronomy store in Singapore October last year and found his prices were quite high. Cheaper here in Oz.
George
Old 21-04-2015, 05:16 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks George and Jeremy,
I am keeping an eye on the classifieds of their respective astro forums and see if there is anything worth going for, but the current exchange rate is a PITA....