ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-02-2017, 10:03 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Canon 1200D sensor replacement

I recently bought a second hand 1200D with the aim of making it a cooled DSLR project.
All went well with the disassembly process and so on, but somehow, the sensor (which was in a sealed zip lock bag) was accidentally misplaced
I turned the house upside down to look for it but I think I now lost it
So, does anyone know what is the best way to replace the senor component?
I had a quick look, they are available in the US and online. Guess the next best thing is to get another 1200D
Does the 1200D share the same sensor as other Canon DSLR? Are they interchangeable?
Thanks
Bo
Old 27-02-2017, 10:24 AM
JA

Start here....

Hi T,

Sorry to hear of your woes.I know how it is with such misplacements and the joy when you find it later, having just purchased another.

Anyway, if I were you I'd start here - Go to the table at the bottom and use it to find and short list all the other Canon 18.0MP APS-C sensors (EDIT: you can probably limit that to all those that use the similar DIGIC 4 sensor, also listed there)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_1200D

AND then ring Canon Spare parts or 3rd party parts and tell them you are a repairer and that you'd like to buy a sensor and ask for price & availability and Part number of your sensor and then to not make it so obvious call about the other few 18.0 APS-C sensors you identify or see how you go - ASK all at once, you never know. Then off to ebay or Gumtree to find your sensor.

OR better yet, keep looking and ask for the intercession of St Anthony of Padua, the Patron Saint of lost things ....

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 27-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:54 AM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks JA,
From what I can see, the following cameras have the same sensors
550/650/700D
100D
60D
I may try to ring a few camera repairers to see if they have any replacement stock.
Of course, I am still looking, but feel more like St Jude at the moment (patron saint of lost causes!)
Bo
Old 27-02-2017, 11:07 AM
JA

Maybe also the 1300D; however that uses the Digic 4+, not 4, and would also likely be more expensive as a 2nd hand donor source.

BTW Sant' Antonio is the 1, for lost things. Good Luck!

Best
JA
Old 27-02-2017, 07:08 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Bo, be careful with sensors from other camera models. The sensor itself may be the same but the sensor mounts are likely different.

For my camera build I used sensors from Nikon D40, D50 and D70. They all have the same sensors but the mounts are completely different and definitely not interchangeable.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:01 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Aliexpress. They have 1200d sensors. Not cheap though.
I got a450d sensor there.

But. Maybe now you have admitted it is lost, you will find it ...
Old 27-02-2017, 10:34 PM
traveller (Bo)

Thanks Luka, yes, the sensor housings are different (entry level 1200D has no vibration dust removal and the motherboards are different so their attachment points are also different).
Chris, I looked at Aliexpress, cheapest is US $120 shipped. So probably make sense to look for another second hand 1200D, but then again, I MIGHT just find it.
JA, yep, I know the diff btw st anothony and st Jude, I was just having a go at myself for looking for lost things, and therefore a lost cause!
Bo
Old 27-02-2017, 11:06 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Bo, from experience with hunting for Nikon D40/D50/D70 sensors, getting a 2nd hand broken camera from ebay was the best option. Usually something else breaks and not the sensor. I bought 3 broken cameras very cheaply and the sensor worked every time.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:47 PM
traveller (Bo)

Yes I have started looking for broken 1200D's now. A friend of mine who used to work in a camera shop also said to give them a call as sometimes they have dead one there and can probably sell one cheap.
Bo