Old 05-04-2010, 12:50 PM
pgc hunter

Observation Report 3/4/10

So it was a clear night in Melbourne on Saturday 3rd April. Although the moon was a problem, somehow the transparency was very good, with the moon the NELM was still around 4.5. Even with the moon up I succeeded in observing a couple of galaxies and nebulae. The seeing however was freakin rubbish, e.g. Saturn was unfocasable at 250x, and only marginal at 156x. It was also windy, now, I don't mind a slight breeze as it prevents dew formation, but I didn't ask for a bloody Hurricane! Later in the night, the wind died down and seeing slightly improved.

After I came in at 3am, I realised that daylight saving had ended at that moment, so effectively I called it quits at only 2am! I could've had an extra hour of observing!

The scope used was the 10" dob.

Time: 9:15pm-3am
Scope: 10" F/5 GSO dob
Seeing: 3/10
Transparency: 5/5

Moon: Waning gibbous, illumination 75%

NGC 2467
HII Region, Puppis, RA= 7 52 05 Dec= 26º 45' 48", Size= 8x7', Mag V= 7.1

I have observed this object with the 120st before, but in the 10" it is significantly better and more detailed. At 96x, the main portion was clearly dome-shaped with the "dome" on the southern edge. The center of the cloud was slightly darker than the outer extremeties, and the northern edge was sharply defined with a dark lane seperating it from a very faint haze to the north. OIII filter provideds excellent contrast boost. Using OIII, the contrast between the nebula's center and outer was much more pronounced, with a brighter region running from the west to south portion of the outer extremety. A brighter knot was seen at the eastern end of the "dome".

NGC 2477
OC, Puppis, RA= 7 52 9.8, Dec= 38º 32' 00" , Size= 27', Mag V= 5.8

The countless stars of this fantastic cluster really became alive in the 10". Gorgoeus in the 13mm LVW at 96x, with the central 2/3rds of the field swamped. The stars are apparently arranged in streamers and arcs, seperated by large dark voids. A particulary obvious void was seen just SE of the centre. Two thick dark voids could be seen slicing the cluster running south from the centre. The 8mm EP at 156x provided an even better view, with the stars appearing much brighter. It seems as you increase power here, the stars just "gain" brightness! At this mag, a faint reddish star could be seen sitting almost alone in the middle of a dark void just SE of the cluster's centre.

Leo Triplet
By now the moon was up, but the sky transparency seemed very good despite. I managed to glimpse NGC 3628 as a faint sliver of light at 156x, with a slightly fatter core region.

M65- Condensed core, slightly larger and more diffuse than M66, with a stellaring in the core hinted at. Broad, but faint oval halo elongated NNW-SSE.

M66- Tighter core than M65, elongated N-S with a stellaring in the core hinted at.

NGC 3132
PNe, Vela, RA= 10 07 01.73, Dec= -40º26' 12", Size= 84x53", Mag V= 9.9

250x - the SE end appeared confined in a solid ring, which only encompasses the southern half of the planetary, while the northwest end was diffuse. A dark gap could be seen on the SW side between this ring and the central star. OIII provided good improvement, with the northwestern portion of the ring, just before it tapers off, being brighter than the rest, while the entire ring structure in general was better defined.

-----------------

At this time, it was around 12:30am, and spotted a high flying jet. I caught the aircraft in the scope and could see its contrails floating among the stars, quite a unique sight! The plane aslo flew directly infront of what I believe was open cluster NGC 6124.

------------------

I tried a few planetaries in Lupus, and I gotta say there are some very nice ones here. If you like planetaries, give Lupus a try.

NGC 5882

PNe, Lupus, RA= 16 50 49.9, Dec= -45º 38' 58.5" , Size= 14" , Mag V= 9.5

At 156x, this excellent planetary could be seen as a small, very high surface brightness, round sharply defined orb. No detail could be seen. At 250x, it appearedvery slightly elongated N-S, but otherwise no improvement on the lower mag view. This object I suspect will handle the reckless magnifications should seeing permit as its sfc brightness really is among the highest I've seen in a PNe.

IC 4406
PNe, Lupus, RA= 14 22 26.4, Dec= -44º 09' 04" , Size= 102x36" , Mag V= 10.3

Appeared bright at 156x, and forms a lopsided triangle with two 12th mag stars 2' to the NW. A thick, wide apple-core shape could be seen, with the long axis orientated N-S. Bright, but lacks any colour. At 250x, this feature exibited fainter extensions either side along its E-W axis, each stretching roughly half of the diameter of the apple core outwards. Despite poor seeing, I upped the mag to 353x and suspected mottling in the apple core, while the OIII filter enhanced the mottling. The outer extensions could now be glimpsed slightly further out aswell.

DSS images show a bizzare cucumber shaped thing, which apparently is a Cheerio viewed edge on.

NGC 5873
PNe, Lupus, RA= 15 12 50.9, Dec= -38º 07' 34" , Size= 7" , Mag V= 11.

Extremely tiny, but high sfc brightness planetary. Stellar at low power. Even at 156x, the only clues it gives away is its appearance as a slightly out of focus "star", with a bluish tint. Forms a neat diamond with an 11th and two 12th mag stars to the SW. Spectacularly tiny, sharply defined orb at 250x, with a bluish tint. Forms a "double" with a 13th mag star which I'd estimate is only 6" SW of the planetary. The view at 353x with the OIII filter was quite astounding. The planetary appeared egg-shaped, elongated E-W, and very sharply defined, literally like a knife-edge, rather than that fuzziness associated with objects of diffuse nature. The northern edge appeared to contain an elongated brightening which was almost glittering - maybe because of seeing, and the colour was a vivid sky blue. A fantastic object that must be revisited in better conditions.

Observed the moon before calling it quits, been ages since I looked at it. Saw the 4 main craterlets in Plato, with the "double" well resolved, and occasionally two more popped in when the seeing settled.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Another good read Sab. I particularly liked your description of NGC 3132. Sounds like some PN hunting in Lupus is on the agenda for the weekend for me.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Another good read Sab. I particularly liked your description of NGC 3132. Sounds like some PN hunting in Lupus is on the agenda for the weekend for me.
Yup Lupus is a good place for the planetary enthusiast, there is also NGC 6026 which is larger and fainter than the ones mentioned but I only took a quick peak as it was suffering from the moonlight.

I think the only thing on our agenda for the weekend is some good old fashioned Melbourne Cloud bashing: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/fo...elbourne.shtml

HAI WINTER
Old 07-04-2010, 05:06 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Great detailed report Sab (as usual).
It looks like the Puppis area is worth a skwiz.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post

I think the only thing on our agenda for the weekend is some good old fashioned Melbourne Cloud bashing: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/fo...elbourne.shtml

HAI WINTER
Alas, I think we're in for the same north of the divide. Shouldn't be allowed so close to a new moon.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Alas, I think we're in for the same north of the divide. Shouldn't be allowed so close to a new moon.
Latest forecast is even WORSE. I already feel my blood bubbling like the magma chambers of Hawaii's large island

Well, I'm happy that I got a look at NGC 2477 in the larger scope before losing it for the year.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
orestis

Nice report pgc hunter,

i especially like your description of the leo triplet as i observed them the other day and pretty much saw what you saw but through a smaller scope but then again i didn't have the moon.

Regards orestis
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
pgc hunter

Thanks Orestis. I was quite stoked to catch 3628 with the moon well above the horizon. I have seen its dark lane with my 12" dob under moonless conditions a while back. Your sketch of the trio is really good well done!

cheers
Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 AM
orestis

Thanks Sab,i'd love too see some of your sketches .

Regards Orestis