Old 18-07-2018, 03:13 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Adobe Photoshop

Appreciate if someone could provide me a link to download the latest “fair dinkum” version of Adobe Photoshop for astrophotography use

The internet is full of resellers and sharks

Also how much for this version $

Thanks in advance !
Old 18-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

As far as I know the current version of PhotoShop CC is only available through their monthly subscription service....$28.59/ month
https://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop.html

Any download versions should be treated with suspicion...there are no freebies!

I recommend the latest version of PaintShopPro, free trial available and only costs an once off fee from $45 and does 99% (if not more!) of what PS does...well worth looking at.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/special-offers/

EDIT: Check out this comparison site.....
https://beebom.com/best-free-photoshop-alternatives/
Old 18-07-2018, 03:31 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Hi Martin,

Whilst this may not apply to you, the benefit is worth the effort - Academic pricing through: https://onthehub.com/

As University staff, I get the latest CS for $14 per year. I've done so for the last 4yrs no worries. I suggest you check through your list of aquaintances/family to see if anyone qualifies and is willing to help.

There is only one purchase per person, and the CS cloud sign in procedure basically uses their academic email from end to end to purchase. Thankfully, your Adobe signin itself is different, and you can use a gmail address for that, for example.

I take so much work home with me it's not funny (I'm not a lecturer on 6 digits salary), so this is a godsend. Hopefully you could take advantage of this too.
Old 19-07-2018, 03:27 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Huh?
I pay 12 euros (A$ 18) monthly for CC 2018. Official Adobe subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
As far as I know the current version of PhotoShop CC is only available through their monthly subscription service....$28.59/ month
https://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop.html

Any download versions should be treated with suspicion...there are no freebies!

I recommend the latest version of PaintShopPro, free trial available and only costs an once off fee from $45 and does 99% (if not more!) of what PS does...well worth looking at.
https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/special-offers/

EDIT: Check out this comparison site.....
https://beebom.com/best-free-photoshop-alternatives/
Old 19-07-2018, 09:19 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Still using CS6.
Old 19-07-2018, 09:42 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
Huh?
I pay 12 euros (A$ 18) monthly for CC 2018. Official Adobe subscription.
That's the famous "Australia Tax" in action, friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Still using CS6.
I've been using PhotoShop since version 3. Not CS3, but PhotoShop3, which had 1 (one) undo level!! Painful when working on large (for the day), files on a Pentium 1 MMX PC... PS4 brought multiple undos, limited by RAM/Scratchdisk. It also brought sanity, and possibly reduced suicide rates / alchoholism in the industry
Old 19-07-2018, 10:10 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

There is only one real way to buy Photoshop and that is from Adobe.
The Creative Cloud Photography Plan, which includes Photoshop and Lightroom, will cost you AUD$14.29 per month (including GST).

If you don't need Lightroom then you could look into Affinity Photo instead, I've heard very good things about it
Old 19-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Thanks all for your replies

My pet hate is monthly subscriptions, I much prefer a one off payment ( if I have no choice but to buy software )

Is there any other newbie Astro processing software which is easy to navigate and use ?

I have looked at PixInsight
and seems like a mouthful to learn ( I prefer a step by step approach for my Astro journey, not jump in the deep end ) I’m old school and a slow learner but get there in the end.

I’m buying Backyard EOS to control my DSLR camera and after an hours reading should be easy to jump straight into and start using

Any further advice and help appreciated !
Old 19-07-2018, 11:21 AM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I know some people do all their processing in Photoshop but I always use a more dedicated astro tool for the main processing and then Photoshop, or Lightroom, for final tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Is there any other newbie Astro processing software which is easy to navigate and use ?
Startools is awesome, and well priced. That would be my recommendation if you're not into PI.
Startools, unlike PI, doesn't stack images so you'll need to use DeepSkyStacker or something as a first step.

Quote:
My pet hate is monthly subscriptions, I much prefer a one off payment ( if I have no choice but to buy software )
I think this is the main reason that people are leaving Adobe for Affinity Photo and Designer.
Also as mentioned Paint Shop Pro is good, at least it was 15 years ago when I last used it

And if you really don't want to spend money then Gimp is very powerful, though it used to be quite painful to use but it might be better these days.

My advice would be to get Startools and see how far you can take an image within it first. Then you'll have a idea of the kinds of tweaks you need to make to your images after you've done all you can in Startools and then you can determine if Gimp will do or if you need something better
Old 19-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Hugh,
PSP 2018 has come leaps and bounds over the past few years and certainly has the PS user in it's sights. Definitely a serious contender for post processing.

Startrek,
I'd try to find a software package which will allow full control of your camera(s), interface with your mount for guiding, filters, focus etc. and do all the pre-processing of Darks and flats as well as stacking etc etc. I've found AstroArt works well for me. It also is pretty good in the post-processing!!
http://www.msb-astroart.com/
Old 19-07-2018, 12:43 PM
redbeard (Damien)

Check out Nebulosity

Free to try

Will connect to camera, do stacking and processing and has tools for post processing. Not expensive.
Old 19-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

+1 nebulosity & PS CC 2018 - some folks also like the new "AstroPixel Processor".
Old 21-07-2018, 01:15 AM
netwolf

Affinity photo is quiet good, I bought it recently as not being a pro can’t justify CC costs. Affinity photo does most of what PS can do. Currently on sale for 30% off , when I bought it was full price 2 weeks back but I sent them an email to there refund team and was credited back right away. But even at full price it’s a bargain. Paintshop pro is another great alternative. But on research in dpreview forums etc Afinity has a good following plus lots of tutorials.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/

+1 for Nebulosity
Old 21-07-2018, 09:59 AM
StuTodd

Try GIMP as a free alternative to Photoshop.
Just as good.
Old 21-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Mav

I have been using Sequator which I prefer over DSS for stacking images and it is heaps quicker at doing it as well.

Just my 2c worth.
Old 25-07-2018, 09:12 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies

I have looked at PixInsight
and seems like a mouthful to learn ( I prefer a step by step approach for my Astro journey, not jump in the deep end ) I’m old school and a slow learner but get there in the end.

I’m buying Backyard EOS to control my DSLR camera and after an hours reading should be easy to jump straight into and start using

Any further advice and help appreciated !
I'll be bluntly honest - PixInsight is expensive, but it is very actively supported by the developer, and once you get used to the interface, it's head and shoulders above the other alternatives. Adjustments in other astro imaging software is "by eye" rather than scientific methods, and is inferior imho.

Some tutorials:

http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsigh...sighthome.html

I have a PDF tutorial that I found:

http://www.alexastro.com/Alex%20Home...eadLRGB101.pdf

This is a good book, but not totally suitable for total noobs to PixInsight:

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-PixIns.../dp/3319256807

For sure, PixInsight's interface is scary as hell initially, but once you spend some time with it, you get used to it, and it makes 100% total sense. I showed a mate a YouTube video on PixInsight and he was gobsmacked at how good it was - he loved the interface and how powerful it was. And he's not into astro imaging at all (but he is in the IT industry and is very good with software).

If you go the Photoshop route, you'll really need to engage in some 3rd party actions that will make life a LOT easier for you. Having used Photoshop + actions and PixInsight, I know which one I'd choose in all blunt honesty.
Old 25-07-2018, 09:16 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuTodd View Post
Try GIMP as a free alternative to Photoshop.
Just as good.
Having been a long time supporter of FSF and Open Source software (using it before it was "cool"), I will honestly tell you that The GIMP is nowhere near as good as Photoshop. For free, it's tolerable, but it really isn't even remotely comparable imho. I've used GIMP on an off since version 2.0 (wasn't into digital imaging until then, had been using GNU/Linux since the late 90s).
Old 25-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Hmmmm
Ok how does it compare with the latest PaintShopPro?..
Old 25-07-2018, 11:04 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Hmmmm
Ok how does it compare with the latest PaintShopPro?..
Couldn't tell you, I think I last used PSP v10 if memory serves me. it was Ok, but I'm used to photoshop, so didn't really take to it.