Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:16 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Unfortunately, low posts are sometimes fake or scam accounts. Hit and run, literally.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

If I deal with someone I need to know where they live where their extended family lives and how ma y pets they have.
But then I dont get out much.
A percentage of transactions involve a con so just never put yourself in a position where someone can fail to deliver..even with companies you take a risk.
But the best thing to do is write off the experience amd neber think of it again because the real loss will grow to consume more loss of sleep preoccupation with hurt and anger.
Look on the bright side you will never let a big unit out of your hands in the future...or a small one.
So in the future you save thousands..so you are lucky.
Alex
Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana68 View Post
I have only heard of two issues, one was taken to court, suppose there have been others . Generally people who have been here for years are a good bet.
+1

I've never sold anything on IIS, but I've purchases my share of a few items.
Not one bad transaction so far, but I do limit my dealings with people who are basically part of the IIS furniture.

I do know of one transaction that went seriously sideways, tried to help out the person in the right (as I knew the individual who was in the wrong) to no avail.

OIC!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:39 AM
raymo

I have bought and sold many items here, and never had an issue, but IIS
members are people, just like everybody else, and there will be the occasional bad apple, although I imagine there would be far fewer than on Gumtree
or ebay etc:
raymo
Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well that sucks... Luckily I've never had any issues buying or selling on IIS either. Touch wood.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:25 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Hope it works out Hans sometimes life messes us all up at times
I've sent and recieved pricey items to/from known members before payment,and once even sent $120 to the wrong person for payment which they returned .

again hope they come good .

eyepiece arrived btw.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:04 PM
csb (Craig)

Well, about 2 weeks ago I bought the complete dvd box set of The West Wing advertised in the IIS classifieds and was sent a pirate copy. When I played some episodes the picture was blurry and menu system was different on each disc.The box n discs looked legit but had bad English grammar.

You all know this seller by his user name - Jeff.

However, a quick pm and he admitted it possibly was a copy and promptly paid back total cost including postage. Good on ya, Jeff

I post this as a thank you to Jeff for being upstanding.

Sorry this is not meant to hijack the thread. And apologies to Jeff for any embarrassment.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Symon (Simon)

Hi guys I have a very low post (0) but have bought two items from this awesome site its just i am learning and have nothing to contribute yet
Regards
Simon
Old 06-07-2018, 05:57 PM
csb (Craig)

Welcome Simon.

Everyone starts from 0

And the riff-raff usually get sorted.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:30 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Simon , it's nothing personal as such but as Lewis said we get spammers , rouges , and all sorts from under the rocks here at times ( as all web sites do ) that are only out to rip good people off .

You sound like a good bloke and keep up the work here and your post count will slowly climb and people will trust and respect you the more for it , human nature mate . .

On that I have brought and sold probably 100's of items here and never had one go bad , a few moans but nothing serious and had plenty of trusted sellers send the goods before the money is transfered , as I have sent gear before the money shows , that's trust that only comes from long term membership and I hope you become one Simon .

Brian .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon View Post
Hi guys I have a very low post (0) but have bought two items from this awesome site its just i am learning and have nothing to contribute yet
Regards
Simon
Old 06-07-2018, 11:48 PM
TwistedRider (Drew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon View Post
Regards
Simon

Much the same here Simon.
Although only a few gear related questions, i've found it good to engage in a little banter with the denizens of these 'ere forums. Sort of breaks the ice a bit.

Feel free to comment on photos and things, does help to let people know you're here, and not a troll in waiting
Old 07-07-2018, 03:04 AM
Symon (Simon)

Thanks guys, I never took it personally it was more along the lines of, if you guys all do this then maybe it would stop the shyer more reserved type people, turns out I was lying anyway as i have bought three things in the past lol.
Regards
Simon
Old 07-07-2018, 03:11 AM
Symon (Simon)

Just adding, I also appreciate the trust shown to me as most of these deals were preformed before I even had an avatar or signature, its also amazing the snippets of information and advice you receive on these transactions.
Regards
Simon
Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

That's no good Hans but unfortunately where humans are concerned it doesn't shock me and as i did with one of two bad transactions i would not name and shame directly but offered up the info by PM ,The other fella was a protected species and enough said about that ,Have bought and sold quite a lot of gear myself and have always treat others how i would like to be treated and the amount of people that i would send to without payment you can count on one hand and i am certain they know who they are ,as the saying goes "In God we trust others pay cash".
Old 07-07-2018, 01:25 PM
deanm (Dean)

Have bought lots of kit - never once any issues.
Most IISers are genuine & honest.
Dean
Old 07-07-2018, 02:17 PM
PCH (Paul)

I seem to recall a youngster here in Perth borrowed an EQ6 mount from memory in a goodwill gesture by someone in Tassie.

The young fella was a student so I guess Mr Tassie thought he was doing the lad a favour loaning him the equipment.

As I remember, that was the last time Tassie saw his mount and no amount of attempts at communication got anywhere.

This was a few years ago now, but I happened to see a google review left by said rogue a couple of weeks ago at a shop I buy my car tyres and batteries from.

It's a small world hey.

Just saying
Old 08-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I seem to recall a youngster here in Perth borrowed an EQ6 mount from memory in a goodwill gesture by someone in Tassie.

The young fella was a student so I guess Mr Tassie thought he was doing the lad a favour loaning him the equipment.

As I remember, that was the last time Tassie saw his mount and no amount of attempts at communication got anywhere.

This was a few years ago now, but I happened to see a google review left by said rogue a couple of weeks ago at a shop I buy my car tyres and batteries from.

It's a small world hey.

Just saying
It was not a youngster but a young man who was a student and he was offering a paid service to "tune" the Tassie guy's EQ6 but for reasons known only to the young man himself he didn't finish nor return the item back to the Tassie guy IIRC.

Have recently noted the young man is back into the "service" game again via another person's business...

HTH

Cheers
Bill

Last edited by Visionoz; 08-07-2018 at 01:41 AM. Reason: doubling up on word...
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM
BC

I bought a Baader MPCC back in 2013 from a very prominent current contributor (not from Victoria) and it was in very poor condition compared with the advert. I just sucked it up because it was small bickies but I'll never buy from him again. I wonder how many other small purchases go unmentioned in a similar vein.
Bruce
Old 08-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

On a related note
I bought some double 12 volt adapters from a person here and he did send them, however my advice is always provide tracking as the ones he sent were lost in the mail and there was no tracking provided. I believe him as he had sent a heap of other items he sold to others and no one else had an issue, so to prevent losses in the mail which can't be tracked always provide a tracking number!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 AM
casstony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
always provide a tracking number!
I'm in the habit of sending the tracking number in case I lose the receipt. For small items I always use a satchel too as I figure it's harder to lose.
Closed Thread