Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 13-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Stonius (Markus)

Protecting electronics from dew

Having had my first electronics-related failure from dew the other night, it occurred to me that there is a lot of discussion about protecting optics, but not much about protecting electronics?

What steps do people take to protect hubs, scope computers, that sort of thing - stuff that is necessarily exposed and won't fit under a dew hutch.

I'm contemplating putting showercaps on everything, including myself!

Markus
Old 13-06-2018, 11:29 AM
glend (Glen)

Well in the field I use a black plastic storage box turned on its side, with the top duct taped on to make an awning. This protects my laptop really well. It sits on top of my Coleman pop up cupboard. Inside the popup cupboard I store my big battery and other gear. The cupboard is next to the mount as a desk setup. I do have a 7 port powered hub attached to a mount leg and I put some duct tape over the ports to keep the dew out.
On really humid night's I can drape a black plastic bin liner over the whole laptop box/ desk setup to avoid any damp. I used to use a popup toilet cubicles as an office but they are just to hard to pack up, and they are tall so can interfere with mount swing room.. For long stay events, like a Star Party I have a small gazebo, which I can set back.
Consider how you protect AC power points, and a safety switch is essential imho.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:00 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

What Glen said about the computer/laptop.
I would also recommend getting a "space blanket" and drape it over the scope and camera and peg them off at the bottom, you can also add some table cloth weights as well. This will make the dew/condensation drip off and keep the focuser/camera end moisture free.
Bo
Old 13-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
...and a safety switch is essential imho.
A DC safety switch - interesting. That sounds like a good idea, though I have no idea what they look like.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:25 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
A DC safety switch - interesting. That sounds like a good idea, though I have no idea what they look like.
That was an AC safety switch, if your using AC, ie off a generator, or an unknown power source in the field.
Old 14-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
...It sits on top of my Coleman pop up cupboard...
Just been looking into these - seems like a great idea. I wonder how easy they are to setup/pack-down?

I wonder which design you have? The ones below all seem to go together differently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (0017232_3-shelf-deluxe-double-cupboard_1100.jpeg)
82.9 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (0017273_3-shelf-cupboard_1100.jpeg)
101.2 KB15 views
Click for full-size image (InstantUpCupboard (1).jpg)
68.9 KB19 views
Old 14-06-2018, 03:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonius View Post
Just been looking into these - seems like a great idea. I wonder how easy they are to setup/pack-down?

I wonder which design you have? The ones below all seem to go together differently.
Mine is the one on the right, and it takes literally ten seconds to setup. It has a hard Formica like top so it can be used as a desk. That middle one has a canvas top from what can see, maybe not a good choice if you want one to put your laptop onto.