Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:08 AM
rrussell1962

I have got into the habit of sending an SMS from the post office with a photo of the tracking number and receipt.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell1962 View Post
I have got into the habit of sending an SMS from the post office with a photo of the tracking number and receipt.
That's exactly what I do as well.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 AM
casstony

Quote:
Show off
Some of us can barely cope with a basic SMS, let alone sending a photo by SMS in a high pressure situation like the post office.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:50 AM
rrussell1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
Show off
Some of us can barely cope with a basic SMS, let alone sending a photo by SMS in a high pressure situation like the post office.
Your Post Office is obviously busier and more high pressured than mine on the outer west side of Brisbane. When I go in with a parcel the owner looks puzzled and scratches his head as if he has never seen one before. Then out comes the book of postage rates for parcel sizes with the pocket calculator.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

When I got rid of all my photography gear late last year, I did the exact same thing. I also sent everything insured. It's one more step to safeguard yourself.

H

Quote:
Old 08-07-2018, 03:01 PM
fsphotography (Frank)

Let the seller beware.

BC,(Bruce).
Yes others have had a similar experience to yours. Mine was also with a very,very, prominent member of this community. Not in Victoria. At the time i was relatively new to IIS with just a few posts,and just 19 up to now. I was the buyer/trader. The deal,conditions and time line were dictated by this prominent member meticulously line by line. I dutifully followed his instructions,sent the money and the traded part....then waited. Communication from him was very poor, with no sign of my item in the post as promised. After wasting my time trying to get clarification on when my item would arrive,the alarm bells started to ring. I contacted him requesting the transaction be cancelled and my money and traded part be returned. I no longer trusted in this deal,so far i was bearing all of the risk. What i got from this very prominent supposedly very affable member was a refusal to end the deal. When the item finally arrived it was not as described, i insisted politely on a refund, then the abuse and name calling started and continued over the next couple of communications. I have dealt with a number of IIS sellers,and most times paid by bank transfer before receiving the item even though i don't know them. Only one other
sent a miss-described item but made good when notified. On the whole the IIS community functions very well, i would have no hesitation in buying from them again, but always keeping in mind that its not only the much maligned low poster's or the con men that may bite you.
Sometimes the con men are hiding in a very ''prominent'' position and
can be hard to spot, be careful by all means but lets not be paranoid.

Frank.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM
rrussell1962

Just to be clear, most of my recent sales have been to people I trust and have been on a "pay me in due course basis". But I do think sending a photo of the Aust Post receipt to people you do not know is a good way of protecting yourself. But in my case it was more of a courtesy.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM
RB (Andrew)

As mentioned by my fellow mod, Al Sheehan, please refer to IIS TOS.

Thread is now locked and some posts deleted due to some members getting into personal matters.
If needed, please communicate to relevant parties via PM.

RB
Closed Thread