Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Sounds like you shouldn't have sold me the AP140, Greg
Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've got the Sharpstar 107PH. I can't comment on visual as I don't do that and I'm not sure I've even looked through the scope with an eyepiece. I also can't comment on how it compares to other scopes in this category as I've never had any others.

However, I can comment on the focuser. It seems fairly solid to me and was easy to adapt to a Sharpsky Pro focuser kit. I've never had any slippage issue. And the only time I had to refocus was for temperature changes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve or what budget you have in mind, so I it would be difficult to say the Sharpstar is worth it, although I suspect it would be among the cheapest options in the range of scopes being suggested.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:58 PM
gregbradley

H[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I didn't realise it was that expensive!

Glen, make that two kidneys. :O

H
Actually I think I understated it. Cost is more like $23.5K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Sounds like you shouldn't have sold me the AP140, Greg
Hehehe. It all helped get the Honders so no problem there. But yes its a beautiful scope and no longer made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I've got the Sharpstar 107PH. I can't comment on visual as I don't do that and I'm not sure I've even looked through the scope with an eyepiece. I also can't comment on how it compares to other scopes in this category as I've never had any others.

However, I can comment on the focuser. It seems fairly solid to me and was easy to adapt to a Sharpsky Pro focuser kit. I've never had any slippage issue. And the only time I had to refocus was for temperature changes.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve or what budget you have in mind, so I it would be difficult to say the Sharpstar is worth it, although I suspect it would be among the cheapest options in the range of scopes being suggested.
Thanks for that feedback. Its hard to know how these various rebranded but much the same scopes work out.

Greg.