Old 23-02-2011, 11:19 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Fishing for Galaxies

Just came in from a quick 2 hour session mainly hunting galaxies in the borderlands of Dorado (the Flying Fish) and Reticulum (the Net), hence the title of this report! And I know the net in Reticlum is not a fishing net but there you go!

Located the following galaxies
NGC 1559
NGC 1543
NGC 1574
NGC 1566
NGC 1596
NGC 1553
NGC 1549
NGC 1546
NGC 1573
NGC 1672

Highlight was the pairing of 1553 and 1549, just a beautiful pair of galaxies. Well worth a look and will have to do a follow up obs at Snake Valley. 1566 is also worthy of another look. Finished of with a quick glance at Centaurus A and the Leo triplet as the moon rose.

Full report to follow soon I hope!

Malcolm
Old 24-02-2011, 08:10 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Mal, if this was a two hour session, mate, you ain't gonna sleep for a week when Virgo gets up higher!

I'll try for the trio you mentioned of 1553, 1549 & 1566 this weekend from home.

Have you ever considered having a go at a sketch? Your descriptions are typically very evocative of the target, a sketch would give it an added edge I would think.

Reticulum isn't a net though. It is after the reticle in Lacaille's telescope with which he measured the position of stars. HOWEVER, it was previously known as the Rhombus, which is the geometric shape woven into nets, .

I wonder what would happen if I called the old constellation Argo Navis the Whaling Ship? Man, you'd be able to hear the keyboards being pounded!

Argo Navis, hmmm. Might be a target selection for the March Obs. Challenge. Thanks Malcom!
Old 24-02-2011, 11:55 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Thanks Alex
Two sources I have consulted (The Cambridge Star Atlas by Wil Tirion and Collins Stars and Planet) give the English name of Reticulum as the Net. The reticle that Lacaile used was composed of a series of silk thread woven across his eyepiece in a diamond shaped net. The Latin term Reticulum literally means "net". While acknowledging Lacaille was not thinking of a fishing net, having the net and the fish close together does lend a certain poetry to the skies.
1553 and 1549 are a pair, 1566 is apparently a face on spiral that should look nicer under dark skies, hopefully next week at Snake Valley!
I have thought about sketching, unfortunately I struggle with even the most basic of drawing tasks, and I fear this may be beyond me. I shall have to content myself with waxing lyrical on the beauty of the skies!
Looking forward to getting into Virgo again, but really want to get down into Coma B and even some of the low doen Messiers in Canes V this season.

Malcolm
Old 24-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Nice haul there Malcolm, look forward to the report.
Old 24-02-2011, 06:58 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Paddy thanks for that!

I was a lovely night, glad I took the chance to get in a couple of hours before moonage became a problem. This was an area I hadn't really been aware of before, though no doubt Les will be able to tell us all about it!
Am looking forward to getting better view of it at SN, NGC 1672 and 1566 should be fantastic under a dark sky.

Malcolm