Old 20-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Visionoz (Bill)

Ivo

Unfortunately I cannot report on the use of APT for EOS 5D because I sold the camera and got a EOS 5D MkII instead - and it worked alright; A++ for astro-imaging purposes

I use a non-GoTo Losmandy G11 setup (only PushTo with ArgoNavis) and used the laptop with APT & PHD guidng only

Only issue I have is that both my EOSes - 5D MkII & 40D) shows "Busy" when I connect either cameras via the USB cable - I know about quitting the EOS Utility after connecting the USB cable - but that did not get rid of the "Busy" on my control screen. However the good news is that irregardless of the "Busy" message I just ignore it and press "Connect" button of APT and everything works as it should

I must clarify that I use Windows 7 Pro as well as XP on other laptop

Look forward to perhaps getting "Focus" via FWHM feature built-in for future and that would do the trick for me because I can then get rid of Nebulosity or MaximDL when I go to dark site or portable!!

Thanks for a good product

HTH
Cheers
Bill
Old 20-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Yoddha

Thank you Bill!

I'll try to reproduce the "BUSY" problem under Win7. What is the version of EOS Utility that you have on your machine? Latest EOS Utilities install the newest drivers and this resolves many problems

FWHM is definitely in the top 5 requested features. Even more I put a kind focusing aid in the v1.20 to be in help till FWHM is done, but have to check how good is it and if there is sence to make it public.
Old 21-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Visionoz (Bill)

Ivo

The EOS Utililty version is 2.8.1.0 - I use this version for both the 5D MkII & 40D on the same laptop

Well if you need a beta-tester, I'm sure many here are willing to put their hands up including me!!

Cheers
Bill
Old 21-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Yoddha

Bill, next week will put a beta on the site and will ask you to take a look on this issue. Thanks in advance!
Old 28-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Yoddha

The site is updated and now you can download the beta version with number 1.15. It contains all functions that will be included in the official version 1.20.

If you want to take a look on the upcoming features or to help to clean problems, please visit the Download page of the site. There you will find a link to the new Beta Versions page, where you can download the Full or Demo version of the 1.15.

Here is the list of the new things and short instructions how to use them:

- Exif Temperature readings. Some cameras (check the EOS Matrix page in the site) has built in sensor that measure the temperature of the CMOS on every exposure. The Demo version will show this reading in the info panel after every exposure that is taken in a plan. Full version has more control using the Settings dialog. You can enable/disable the readings showing and to use them as part of the file name.

- LV++. This is method to intensify the Live View images to help to see fainter objects. This can be enabled/disable from Image Effects panel (click on “Yin-Yang” button). Set the ISO to 1600 and exposure greater than 2” for best results.

- LV Stack. It stacks a sets of LV images to help the framing of brighter objects and can be enabled/disable from Image Effects panel (click on “Yin-Yang” button). Set the ISO to 1600 and exposure greater than 2” for best results.

- Focus Score. It is an aid to evaluate if the focus is near to the perfect one. The algorithm is based on counting of the bright pixels and is planned to be used as first step before the FWHM method that will come in 1.30 or 1.40. Lower values are better. Focus Score works in both Live View and taken images, to enabled/disable it use the button with the Star icon. Special thanks to Robin for allowing to use his idea. He developed it in his application SharpCap (http://sites.google.com/site/rwgastro/sharpcap).

- Histogram (in Full version only). Use the little button with the graph icon to show/hide the histogram panel. The data is drawn after image is taken.

- Now you can use 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8, 1.3, 1.6, 2.5, and 3.2 exposures in a plan.

- White balance control. Use the drop down list box in the Camera Control panel to select the needed value.

- The full version keeps the Image prefix between APT restarts.

- In minimized mode Ctrl+S is equal to click on Shoot button. Click on the minimized window once then press Ctrl+S

- The camera state monitor will seconds counter when Shoot button is used.

- There is help button that opens the User’s Guide (it is not update yet).

- The button “F” which places a focus temperature mark is with replaced icon – thermometer.

- Fixed is a bug when the cross is used during the LiveView.

- Some UI optimizations.

I’ll be very thankful to hear you opinions and any problems that you find in this beta. Please note that Friday till Monday will be out of the town and will respond slower than usual.

Also if you plan to use 1.15 during a night session take with you the installation of 1.10 in case that there is serious bug (it is not expected, but who knows). Definitely don’t want to ruin your time under the stars!

Next week will be spent in testing and fixing, but by November 5th we will have the official version 1.20.
Old 29-10-2010, 10:58 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Great, I have tested focus score feature on SharpCap and it is a beauty. Great stuff and very handy.

I may give LiveView capture a go, although I am a little busy learning processing at the moment. Once that is finsihed I will be happy to test the Beta.
Old 29-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Yoddha

Thanks Malcolm!
Old 29-10-2010, 06:22 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Lots of good feature Ivo..Keep it up.

Any chance of "dither" between frames feature with PHD?

I'm finding that with lots of subs I really need to dither and quite frankly I'm poor at manually doing it.
Old 29-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Yoddha

I'm ashamed but am still on the very beginning of the guiding route and don't know what exactly is dithering?

Can you explain in short? Then will research what is needed to implement

Thank in advance!
Old 29-10-2010, 06:42 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

is this the temperature sensor you are talking about?

Adam
Old 29-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Yoddha

Hi Adam,

Yes, this is the sensor I bought mine from eBay too, but on the www.astroplace.net there is also a link to the vendor's site.
Old 29-10-2010, 08:16 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoddha View Post
I'm ashamed but am still on the very beginning of the guiding route and don't know what exactly is dithering?

Can you explain in short? Then will research what is needed to implement
Thank in advance!
Hi Ivo.

Dithering is basically taking a sub (while guiding in PHD)...stopping guiding for a few seconds (or so)..moving the image frame a pixel or so (in Alt/Az) (by moving the scope drive system..this can be done thru PHD), re-engaging guiding and take the next sub.

And repeating the process every few subs till the APT plan is done.

Why do this! The CCD sensors exhibit noise, hot/dead pixels and dithering helps software stacker's (Like DSS) recognise these improving the image S/N ratios..quite a bit.

The image quality improvement result...with dithering is quite pronounced.

I must admit I'm only a novice at dithering and have only used it a few times..but I'm already sold on it. Bert (user Avandonk) mentioned it in a post ages ago....and it's really only now that I have started to try it.

Trying to manually dither subs is a real pain. I have seen software that can do 'auto dither'....like dithermaster.

Buy I got to hand it to you Ivo you have gone from win to win with your APT tool. I would love to see a dither option...and I think it would complete APT.

edit:
The TEMPHum sensor I purchased has only just left HK/CN...they probably batch post so if anyone is wondering why their item is slow in arriving....don't worry it's just the way of it.

Last edited by wasyoungonce; 29-10-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 30-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Yoddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasyoungonce View Post
Hi Ivo.

Dithering is basically taking a sub (while guiding in PHD)...stopping guiding for a few seconds (or so)..moving the image frame a pixel or so (in Alt/Az) (by moving the scope drive system..this can be done thru PHD), re-engaging guiding and take the next sub.

A lot of thanks for the hints! Few days ago I dig about this a bit and understood that PHD has interface to control the guiding, but was not sure what exactly is dithering

The links that you give lead to the needed info! So only the time is the limit. FWHM is the main focus for 1.30, and there is only one (but the biggest) problem left to resolve for this feature, so with little bit luck will be able to include and a dithering option
Old 30-10-2010, 09:32 AM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Thank Ivo.

FWHM focusing with APT ...."Excellent".

"Dithering" will probably take a fair bit of time & effort to get up and running but if you do include it...it will make APT a top notch piece of software.

Anyway. Thanks for listening. A a big thumbs up to you and your efforts...yet again!
Old 30-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Yoddha

Thanks for the kind words!

And also many thanks for the ideas and support! Without them APT will not survive
Old 04-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Yoddha

There is new version on the site - v.1.20. The list of the changes is:

2010/11/3 - v.1.20 New features and bug fixes
-Added: Exif Temperature readings - Show it after exposure is taken
-Added: Exif Temperature readings - use as part of the file name (in FULL version only)
-Added: LV++ - LiveView image intensification in real time
-Added: LV Stack - Stacks the LiveView images in real time
-Added: Focus Score - evaluates if the focus is near to the perfect one
-Added: Histogram - R, G, B and L Histogram of taken image (in FULL version only)
-Added: Use of 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8, 1.3, 1.6, 2.5, and 3.2 exposures in a plan
-Added: White balance control
-Added: In minimized mode Ctrl+S is equal to click on Shoot button
-Added: The camera state monitor will show the seconds counter
when Shoot button is used
-Added: Help button to show the User's guide
-Added: "Quick Start" section in the User's guide
-Added: Keeps the Image prefix between APT restarts (in FULL version only)
-Added: Some optimizations in the User's Interface
-Updated: The button “F” which places a focus temperature mark
is with replaced icon – thermometer.
-Updated: User's Guide document (the new things are in green)
-Fixed: Fixed is a bug when the cross is used during the LiveView.
Next version will come around the middle of December and will include:
-FWHM Focusing method (both HFWHM and VFWHM)
-Integration with PHD guiding program to support Auto-Dithering
-More User Interface optimizations
-More performance optimizations
-Better installer
-Preview Zoom
-Splash screen
-Bulb mode for "Shoot" button
-Limited support for 300D and 10D
-Few more things...
Don't forget that you can also use the APT Yahoo group to get support - Astroplace : APT - Astro Photography Tool

Clear skies!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoddha View Post
Next version will come around the middle of December and will include:
-FWHM Focusing method (both HFWHM and VFWHM)
-Integration with PHD guiding program to support Auto-Dithering
-More User Interface optimizations
-More performance optimizations
-Better installer
-Preview Zoom
-Splash screen
-Bulb mode for "Shoot" button
-Limited support for 300D and 10D
-Few more things...
Don't forget that you can also use the APT Yahoo group to get support - Astroplace : APT - Astro Photography Tool

Clear skies!

Yes...there is a God after all!

Many thanks Ivo.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Just downladed it hope to test it soon, hopefully Saturday
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Yoddha

Next week will start the real work on the next version...
Old 18-11-2010, 02:04 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

Hi Ivo,

I am trying to install the Canon EOS utilities on a netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition - but it won't let me. I read somewhere that this is due to insufficient screen resolution - and that there was a registry hack that allowed you to set the screen to a higher resolution so it would install.

I tried the regisrty hack - set the resolution higher, but still no luck.

As I understand, I am unable to run APT on this machine unless I can install the canon utilities??

Do you (or anyone else...) have any suggestions how to install the Canon utilities on this machine?

Regards
Adam