Old 25-09-2009, 09:51 PM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

ST7 parallel port question

I run Vista ultimate on my computer (no parallel port) and would like to know if it is possible to hook up an ST7 parallel port through a USB connection to operate the camera?

Thanks

Frank
Old 26-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Frank

I don’t know for sure, but I have read reports that several people have tried certain USB to Parallel adapters and they have not worked, as the adapter did not emulate a true Parallel port. It might be worth trying the SBIG Support Forum to see if anyone has posted results that have been successful.

So, before you purchase an adapter, I’d make sure there is some history of the particular model working correctly, if such a beast is available.

A possible alternate solution might be to use a docking station with legacy connectors. This is what I do for my 6 ½ year old IBM ThinkPad R40 where with the docking station, I get a Parallel and Serial Port as well as x4 extra USB2 ports. The R40 already has a native Parallel port but doesn’t have the RS232 Serial Port and is limited to x2 USB so the Docking Station helps here.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 26-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Just found something on Astromart which mentioned this outfit:

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/parallel_pcmcia.php

Its a PCMCIA type device.

"Quatech’s SPP-100 fully supports the IEEE 1284 EPP standard, and functions exactly like a computer’s native parallel port. Thus, unlike the many USB to parallel converters on the market, Quatech’s SPP-100 will work seamlessly with any hardware or software that requires either an EPP or standard parallel port. It is compatible with both 3.3V and 5V systems.

Many portable and hand-held computers do not provide a parallel port. When they do, the built-in port often cannot function in EPP mode. Quatech’s SPP-100 is an ideal choice in these situations when a high speed parallel interface is required."

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-09-2009, 07:34 AM
telecasterguru (Frank)
Have scope will travel!

Dennis,

Thanks for the information on parallel ports. It all seems a bit of hit and miss to me.
Also the software applications of running a parallel port camera on Vista could be a real issue. Had problems previously and don't want to go down that path again.

Frank